Logic Pro 11 will be releasing later this year ? ?, are we expecting any major upgrades 10.5 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:55 pm
spidermix wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:31 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 pm
spidermix wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pmAll the money in the world and they can't get the GUI's updated on all their instruments?
Over the last few years they've been adding features and squashing bugs at a rate which seems to eclipse most other DAW's out there...For free. And that's not enough for you??

Money's not the issue. The bottleneck is quality control and beta testing, which is great for those of us that would rather they strike the balance between stability and new shit. There are people who rely on Logic for professional use, and would be much happier that no downtime is incurred 'cause some folks can't get by with what's currently on offer. And, of course, there are some of us who happen to think the included synths are really good. Nothing to stop you making up the supposed 'lack' elsewhere :shrug:

Regarding the missing Gui refreshes: Why would you be demanding Gui refreshes while at the same time bemoaning the lack of instrument updates? What would be the point of slapping a new skin on exs24II when it is surely (They didn't acquire the Redmatica dude just to add auto-sampling to Garageband) one of the assets that is begging for a complete overhaul; Ditto that for Ultrabeat.
How many “years” does it take to update GUI’S that are completely not in line with the rest of the program? You’re presenting a false choice. It’s not one or the other. It’s about making cohesive software. Period.

SpiderMix
The gui's that need changing are for the plugins that need major structural overhauls. So, once again, why would they stick a new coat of paint on something that needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up??
I agree, hopefully we will see new tools not re-skinned ones in new version of Logic, and I hope we will find out in few days :wink:

What makes you think that?

last few major updates have been around winter NAMMs.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

spidermix wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm The included synths are NOT that great compared to what's available. They are coasting on nostalgia at this point. Also, why haven't they updated the drummer and sampler yet? Why have all that money in the bank if you don't give your teams enough resources to execute with excellence.

AND....Logic's audio engine sucks! It loads on one core instead of distributing the workload. It overloads too easily. Sometimes the audio cuts out if you press the arm button while a project is playing (on an audio track). There are delays when you change audio parameters.
Yes, most of the old synths (ES1, ESM, ESP,...) are archaic now compare to the market standard. And core audio doesn't take enough benefits of multicore. I would add that sample manipulation is still very very poor. Everything related to Chord manipulation is still zero.
On the positive side, flex pitch and audio manipulation were the biggest recent improvements. All former Camel Audio products integration were nice move, but the sounds provided with Alchemy are very specific. The new gui of some plugins was also welcome.
All in all, it's a very good product for general use, but it would deserve a complete reengineering instead of adding layers year after year.

More and more I start songs on Reason because it's easier with a lot of tools to boost creativity, and then I mix on Logic because my high end plugins are there..

I think this is the curse of older DAWs like Logic Cubase DP etc. They had a different approach at the start but then the industry has changed with new comers and innovations and they had to adapt so all of them became layer over layer DAWs trying to add everything and please old users and attract new comers.
Thats maybe why Reason or Live or Bitwig feels more inspiring. They seem more focused on specific things right from the start and mostly not try to be a do it all DAW. I mean Ableton could have easily added comping years ago but they choose not to. They basically say If you need vocal comping or notation etc go somewhere else. which makes sense to me.

spidermix wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm Well, let's all just be happy that they are doing SOMETHING>...just a few years ago logic went without an update for like 3 or 4 YEARS! Apple is doing some weird stuff. I really don't get that company. All the money in the world and they can't get the GUI's updated on all their instruments?

The included synths are NOT that great compared to what's available. They are coasting on nostalgia at this point. Also, why haven't they updated the drummer and sampler yet? Why have all that money in the bank if you don't give your teams enough resources to execute with excellence.

AND....Logic's audio engine sucks! It loads on one core instead of distributing the workload. It overloads too easily. Sometimes the audio cuts out if you press the arm button while a project is playing (on an audio track). There are delays when you change audio parameters.
'
I started on Cubase but switched to Logic when I got a Mac. I'm HAPPY the Logic team has some gumption now...but Cubase 10 looks IMPRESSIVE>..

SpiderMix
Defender of Quality
:)
agreed on the GUI front.

Not entirely agreed on the synth front. Sculpture, although old, is hard to get in any 3rd party form. Kaivo, Sakura, Chromaphone... and it ends here.
Retrosynth is pretty decent too.

disagree with audio engine; the single core is true only for live tracks. which i agree, you should be able to entirely disable in a "mix" situation. it only makes sense for tracking.

I don't find Cubase 10 all that impressive.
Also, if i upgraded to every 0.5 cubase release I would have spent for a new Mac by now... While Logic updates were all free.

Logic is a very old program, and in some ways it shows. It's great once you know it, but there are more kludges than you can shake a stick at. Cubase is also old and kludgy as well, albeit great in its own way. Both could use a thorough re-write but are being upgraded incrementally.

Of the two, I prefer Logic because of the cleaner, more customizable interface and workflow though I think Cubase's engine is better. I have both. Had high hopes for Bitwig and Ableton, but interface-wise, both have taken a step backwards recently in my book.

What I'd like to see with Logic is a completely rendered (real-time), skinnable and resizable interface, and a more responsive audio engine. But to be honest, I'm more than happy with it as is (and the interfaces from JMROZ).

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 am Logic is a very old program, and in some ways it shows. It's great once you know it, but there are more kludges than you can shake a stick at. Cubase is also old and kludgy as well, albeit great in its own way. Both could use a thorough re-write but are being upgraded incrementally.

Of the two, I prefer Logic because of the cleaner, more customizable interface and workflow though I think Cubase's engine is better. I have both. Had high hopes for Bitwig and Ableton, but interface-wise, both have taken a step backwards recently in my book.

What I'd like to see with Logic is a completely rendered (real-time), skinnable and resizable interface, and a more responsive audio engine. But to be honest, I'm more than happy with it as is (and the interfaces from JMROZ).
I agree. With a few workflow enhancements they could easily steal Cubase/Logic users. Just like Studio one did.

IF you‘re already use a MAC then nothing beats LOGIC PRO concerning price, maintenance and content...

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm Also, if i upgraded to every 0.5 cubase release I would have spent for a new Mac by now... While Logic updates were all free.
What a big hyperbole. :roll:

From which versions are you counting? Logic Pro X was launched in 2013. Cubase whas in what version? Let's say version 7.5. Therefore, you would have spent around $550. Please tell me where are you buying your new Macs. I am more than interested. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:40 am IF you‘re already use a MAC then nothing beats LOGIC PRO concerning price, maintenance and content...
I agree, but it seems price, maintenance and content is not enough... I have Logic, but use Bitwig...
For accessing the content of Logic I even put some money on top and got Mainstage as well... But all this is a matter of taste, not price...

fmr wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am
Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm Also, if i upgraded to every 0.5 cubase release I would have spent for a new Mac by now... While Logic updates were all free.

From which versions are you counting? Logic Pro X was launched in 2013. Cubase whas in what version? Let's say version 7.5. Therefore, you would have spent around $550. Please tell me where are you buying your new Macs. I am more than interested. :hihi:
Hyperbole?
When 8 came out upgrade from 7.5 was 149€. (I stopped looking after that)
I'll assume everything from 8 onwards was 99€ as it is now (best case scenario!)
Cubase 7.5 was 599€.
so...
7.5 - 599€
8 - 149€
8.5 - 99€
9 - 99€
9.5 - 99€
10 - 99€
--------------SUM
1145€.

A new baseline Mac Mini (which is a pretty damn capable music production machine) with preinstalled Logic Pro X costs you 1129€.

Hey, you have 16€ left for beer!
(oh and you can buy that on the apple store directly)

I still have Cubase (version 7.5) but there's literally nothing there to persuade me to switch. Also have Pro Tools. (stuck at 11.5)

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 am Logic is a very old program, and in some ways it shows. It's great once you know it, but there are more kludges than you can shake a stick at. Cubase is also old and kludgy as well, albeit great in its own way. Both could use a thorough re-write but are being upgraded incrementally.

After the FCPX fiasco i doubt Apple dares to do the same with Logic.
Which is too bad, I'd be super psyched if Logic got the same type of overhaul as FCPX did. But then again.. I'm one of the minority that liked FCPX.
It took them almost two years tho, to bring FCPX to the release it was supposed to be at launch.

I haven't really seen Final Cut, so I can't comment. But one of the fantastic things about Bitwig is that it can be resized for any display. I'm okay with LPX but I have to run macOS at a lower resolution to be comfortable with it. Ableton also resizes, with the exception of the settings dialog. They don't seem to care about that no matter how many times you point it out.

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

Hyperbole?
When 8 came out upgrade from 7.5 was 149€. (I stopped looking after that)
I'll assume everything from 8 onwards was 99€ as it is now (best case scenario!)
Cubase 7.5 was 599€.
so...
7.5 - 599€
8 - 149€
8.5 - 99€
9 - 99€
9.5 - 99€
10 - 99€
--------------SUM
1145€.
Don't remember what was the price, but are probably quoting the price from 7 to 8, NOT from 7.5 to 8.

Upgrade prices have been like this:

From x.0 to x.5 - 49 €

From x.5 to the next x.0 - 99 €

And a new baseline Mac mini is far from capable... Come on... :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”