What should my SPAM look like?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope you'll bear with me here.

My productions are starting to approach decent. A big reason is my use of SPAM religiously.

For example, I was told that a lot of my tracks had too much going on at 5k. So I'd make a note of that and if I see my 5k is too high (say at -6 db as opposed to -12 db for everything else) I'd lower it down to remove the harshness.

And that's all well and good.

But as I'm doing this and trying to get what I think is a proper SPAM readout, I realized that I have no idea what an ideal SPAM should look like. Should everything be around - 12db, -10db? Should the upper frequencies (say 2k and above) be slightly higher or lower than the mid frequencies? When should you start cutting the low end mud? 30, 40?

Is there an ideal SPAM for a track? If I downloaded 10 pro tracks into my DAW and ran it through SPAM, would they all look relatively the same? Would there be major differences depending on the genre? And if SPAM optimization is genre dependent, how are those readings determined?

I am trying to optimize the frequencies of my tracks and realizing that I'm swimming in a sea of uncertainty that I don't even know how to remotely navigate.

So, can somebody give me some kind of baseline? Or does none exist? Is it all by ear, taste, genre or whatever? In short, are there simply no guidelines?

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

pink n fatty.

Is there a reason why you copied and pasted my post word for word?

Just curious.

spam joke?

Spam is good if you cook it with cabbage and Mirin...

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 pm Is there a reason why you copied and pasted my post word for word?

Just curious.
SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM......SPAM,SPAM, SPAMMITY,SPAM...……... :D

Oh, I didn't notice you changed SPAN to SPAM.

Never mind. I missed the joke.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 pm Oh, I didn't notice you changed SPAN to SPAM.

:hihi:

tbh, every time you and layzer start talking about it, i cant read it as anything but "spam"
my eyes wont let me see the n :lol:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:37 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 pm Oh, I didn't notice you changed SPAN to SPAM.

tbh, every time you and layzer start talking about it, i cant read it as anything but "spam"
my eyes wont let me see the n :lol:
Too much Monty Python in your diet.

...😕 Maps backwards.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

i'll have the lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a mornay sauce garnished with
truffle pâté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam ...

SPAM is most important!

Just because the SPAM contains the calories that
let you start your day. With the right SAPM your
mix gets the best amount of warmth and also -
guess! - coolness! :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Spamming a spam tread.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Production Techniques”