Sampler module for Zebra (HZ)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

equinoxide wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 am
Urs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 am Samples kill synths. Synths with sample playback become samplers. Everything that makes Zebra great will be gone once we add sample playback. It'll become the same old same old static kind of thing for which you only buy sample packs.

Furthermore, a synthesizer with sample playback is expected to come with an extensive library. This raises the intial cost of the software by factor 2. Zebra with sample playback will cost more than 400€.

There are already very good alternatives to that in Omnisphere, Kontakt and Nexus.

I'm a synth guy. Sample playback bores me to death, it would be my intellectual suicide.
2019 kicking off strong :D
indeed :tu:

Urs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 am Samples kill synths. Synths with sample playback become samplers. Everything that makes Zebra great will be gone once we add sample playback. It'll become the same old same old static kind of thing for which you only buy sample packs.

Furthermore, a synthesizer with sample playback is expected to come with an extensive library. This raises the intial cost of the software by factor 2. Zebra with sample playback will cost more than 400€.

There are already very good alternatives to that in Omnisphere, Kontakt and Nexus.

I'm a synth guy. Sample playback bores me to death, it would be my intellectual suicide.

Its understandable and you are right. Especialy about expected library of samples...

Btw wavetables can be used as short samples for playback. You can do that in serum at least, also Hive too if im right?

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:47 pmBtw wavetables can be used as short samples for playback. You can do that in serum at least, also Hive too if im right?
There's no explicit one-shot mode or anything. Not sure if that's what you mean.

Stuff like that is on our long list of concepts we might evaluate in the future.

#----

It seems that the new year begins with a lot of feature requests and stuff in different threads which inflict mental pain in me. I might need to sign off for a while.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:23 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:47 pmBtw wavetables can be used as short samples for playback. You can do that in serum at least, also Hive too if im right?
There's no explicit one-shot mode or anything. Not sure if that's what you mean.

Stuff like that is on our long list of concepts we might evaluate in the future.

#----

It seems that the new year begins with a lot of feature requests and stuff in different threads which inflict mental pain in me. I might need to sign off for a while.
Ah sorry, i mistaken that with Dune 3 (you can do that there). Hah do it! The better focus you will have, the faster we will get those awesome updates :D

Urs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 am ... I'm a synth guy. Sample playback bores me to death ...
The physically modelled drum synth you debuted in 2016 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usD7mWWWmoE ) is exciting to me. I would VERY much like to see this realized. I've come to rely on samplers for drums (realistic kits)--it's the only real thing that mandates a sampler for me. I'd MUCH rather have a drum synthesiser. Please continue R&D here!

lunardigs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 am
Urs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 am ... I'm a synth guy. Sample playback bores me to death ...
The physically modelled drum synth you debuted in 2016 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usD7mWWWmoE ) is exciting to me. I would VERY much like to see this realized. I've come to rely on samplers for drums (realistic kits)--it's the only real thing that mandates a sampler for me. I'd MUCH rather have a drum synthesiser. Please continue R&D here!
+1
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Well, sorry, but that project was put on hold for a while... the reasons are complex, but could be summed up by "in order to hold ground against samples, it would have munched more CPU than current computers offer".

However, the building blocks we have may mix well with Zebra's synthesis concept. Just saying.

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 am Well, sorry, but that project was put on hold for a while... the reasons are complex, but could be summed up by "in order to hold ground against samples, it would have munched more CPU than current computers offer".

However, the building blocks we have may mix well with Zebra's synthesis concept. Just saying.
Yeah, that's understandable. It's pretty ambitious too. Although, I think it's worthwhile! Hopefully you'll make further progress here. We can also look forward to better CPUs.

Btw, if I could just replace (synthesize) my kick and snare, alone, this would be enormous.

Well, thing is, synthesizing realistic drums is what some skilled sound designers have gotten out of Zebra quite well already. These are just not based on real world parameters, such as kettle size, material, point of excitation etc. - but they're up there with samples in terms of sound quality, and some of those patches are very dynamic and playable. Just think of the 50+ Zebras percussion solo in the Inception soundtrack.

My hope is, if we add simple (computable) models of membranes, kettles etc. to Zebra3, maybe we can get closer to great sound *and* real world parameters. An approximation in, say, the XY section will do.

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am Well, thing is, synthesizing realistic drums is what some skilled sound designers have gotten out of Zebra quite well already. These are just not based on real world parameters, such as kettle size, material, point of excitation etc. - but they're up there with samples in terms of sound quality, and some of those patches are very dynamic and playable. Just think of the 50+ Zebras percussion solo in the Inception soundtrack.
i forgot about that project.

AAS Chromaphone 2 is pretty good, not bad on the cpu either. Not really realistic, but can't argue that it isn't organic.

the snare in that u-he drum machine video sounds goooooood. I'd love to get my hands on it. can we get a beta :P ?

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:48 pmAAS Chromaphone 2 is pretty good, not bad on the cpu either. Not really realistic, but can't argue that it isn't organic.
Yep, Chromaphone is one example, Sculpture (built into Logic) is another. Those are the bar, I guess, for creative and/or realistic physical modelling.
the snare in that u-he drum machine video sounds goooooood. I'd love to get my hands on it. can we get a beta :P ?
Honestly, I have no idea what state the project is in.

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am Well, thing is, synthesizing realistic drums is what some skilled sound designers have gotten out of Zebra quite well already. These are just not based on real world parameters, such as kettle size, material, point of excitation etc. - but they're up there with samples in terms of sound quality, and some of those patches are very dynamic and playable. Just think of the 50+ Zebras percussion solo in the Inception soundtrack.

My hope is, if we add simple (computable) models of membranes, kettles etc. to Zebra3, maybe we can get closer to great sound *and* real world parameters. An approximation in, say, the XY section will do.
Interesting idea... give some modeling building blocks in an open flexible environment like Zebra... it is already really fun to model percussion sounds in Zebra because of the flexibility of the synth.

Chromaphone and String Studio are both quite good, but they are too limited. They do not provide the environment that is diverse enough that smart sound design can provide that extra character and playability.

Looking forward to Zebra 3!!

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:49 pm
Honestly, I have no idea what state the project is in.
well, can be a great new year's resolution to check the state of it :party:

I'll have dig deeper into all this. Exciting stuff! Glad to hear everyone's two cents.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:26 pm...provide the environment that is diverse enough that smart sound design can provide that extra character and playability.
:tu: :hug:

Return to “u-he”