Dune 3 or Arturia Pigments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Pigments 5 Universal - Dune 3 Presets

4damind wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 pm Because you already own Dune 2, the big question is if you are a heavy user of the wavetable oscillator? Do you have some plan to create own wavetables or import wavetables from other synth? The only time I created a wavetable was with Serum, when this synth was newly released. Never again I've used this feature. So for me a wavetable editor is not such an important feature - and this is one of the main new features of Dune 3.

but it was the biggest user feature request by a mile, according to SA :shrug:

4damind wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 pm Because you already own Dune 2, the big question is if you are a heavy user of the wavetable oscillator? Do you have some plan to create own wavetables or import wavetables from other synth? The only time I created a wavetable was with Serum, when this synth was newly released. Never again I've used this feature. So for me a wavetable editor is not such an important feature - and this is one of the main new features of Dune 3.
You're right, I've used a wavetable editor maybe twice. I'm starting to think the wisest idea might be to save my money and hope that Pigments is in V Collection 7, and wait for an upgrade sale on Dune 3.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

It's your decision, but... if you are looking for an "analog sound" like you stated in the OP, then, the Dune 3 filters are vastly superior in that regard to the ones in Pigments. Again, if that's a important thing for you. Sound wise, i think they're both nice, but, the filters in Pigments are a bit lacklustre.

AnX wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes, but often people buy stuff because of the big features they read on the paper but after a short time they realize that they do not use these functions at all ;)
If there is no interest to build own wavetables or to import other wavetables, the user has to ask himself: do I need a second arp, the additional parameter in the effects and a slightly modified GUI with Dune 3 or can I already do all things with Dune 2? Is it for me more interesting to "try" a new synth with a different and maybe for me easier workflow and a different sound?
If you have this instant "wow" effect with a new synth, you don't ask if you need this synth... you know that you cannot make music anymore without this new synth :P

I'm not surprised. In one of other Pigments threads, probably a half dozen people have expressed a desire for a wavetable editor.

I've never thought a synth needed one as long as there is a reasonable supply of wavetables in the synth to use.

jsp1979 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm not surprised. In one of other Pigments threads, probably a half dozen people have expressed a desire for a wavetable editor.

I've never thought a synth needed one as long as there is a reasonable supply of wavetables in the synth to use.
Most of the people who ask for it will never use it. But once it is there, they will for sure make additional feature requests regarding it :hihi:

dumb or dumber?

just ask yourself, do i really need a new car because it is a 2019 model and it has bigger air bags and a faster auto braking system yet my old one gets me to work just fine?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:11 am dumb or dumber?

just ask yourself, do i really need a new car because it is a 2019 model and it has bigger air bags and a faster auto braking system yet my old one gets me to work just fine?
walk to work

Yes, of course :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

AnX wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:26 am

walk to work
I use a bike and public transport.
The money it saves me, pays plenty for my synths.
It's a question of priorities and so is this question.

you have to list your priorities. Is it sound, is it usability, is it features, is it gas ?
Pigments sounds harsh and cold to me, so it leaves me ... cold. But it's probably the best in the features and usability department.
Dune sounds really nice imo but has less (modern) features.

If your preference goes towards Dune you still have plenty of time. You might wait for Massive-x. If is Pigments, the intro pricing is time limited. If it's gas, you might throttle down and use what you have.

Dune 3 was a nice update, because of the filter and the additional 500 presets.
In the demo of pigments I steped through the presets, and coudn't find anything different, or special compared to my v-collection or some other synths.
I bought the update from v6, because the 3 new emulation are amazing, but on pigments i am missing a nice sound.
The workflow is very easy, i'll take some time to make some own presets. If i get some nice modulations out of it, maybe I'll buy it, but I think I can wait, till it is on special offer included in V7. Till now I have not the feeling that I have to use this synth in my next productions.
On Rapid, I also didn't like all the edm presets, but when I was creating my own presets, I realy got very quick results and it has a very nice sound, which i am missing on the new arturia synth. I fear that pigment would belong to my unused synths, but dune2 I used on almost every production together with the legend, diva and omnisphere. So for me this decision was very easy, but I'll take the arturia demo time till january and give it a try.

Only reason I never bought Dune was because I didn't like the UI and workflow. Otherwise, it's probably in the top three synths for gorgeous sounds thanks to its unison and clever clever sound designers.

If I were to buy a wavetable synth purely for its sound, power and workflow, then I would go for something like Parawave Rapid, however I bought Pigments for its potential, UI and workflow, and fantastic price for Collection V owners.

Ultimately it's your decision, no one else can make it for you.
<List your stupid gear here>

sacer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 am On Rapid, I also didn't like all the edm presets, but when I was creating my own presets, I realy got very quick results and it has a very nice sound
That's my experience with it as well. I have zero interest in all this commercial EDM/future-something thing so I have no use for 90% of Rapid presets but the synth is very easy to program and it does indeed have very nice sound. With all its wavetable FX and modulation power it basically covers eveything I may need from a wavetable synth. Pigments was interesting at the first look but actually it seems that Rapid does at least 90% of what Pigments can do and the sounds I've heard from Pigment so far don't seem to be radically different or any better than what I can make with Rapid and other synths I have.

As for Dune 3, it may seem a bit underwhelming update at the first look but the more I play with the demo the more I like it. It has some serious improvements in most areas, like new filters which are very good, new filter effects, new unison, new saturation, phaser and delay algos, improvements to FM. It all ends up with better sounding patches or patches which were impossible in Dune 2. I use Dune2 every now and then but it never was my favourite synth, but I have the impression that D3can easily become one of my most important synths.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

The sound is most important, right? If so Dune 3 is a definite winner here (also if there would be third contender - Rapid).
I don't know what is wrong with Arturia but their every synth sound the same. Usually they deliver thousands of presets but everyone is the same. There're rather not poor filters because those as a plugins sound good. Maybe osc algorithms?

I also realy like the free arturia mini filter and was excited to sequence it equal in pigment, but till now, I wasn't able to get warm with pigments sound. We all make different music, so we have all different expectations how a synth has to sound.
Pigments workflow realy looks intresting, so I'll definitly try out the demo some days, but I already have so much synths that I would not realy miss pigments, allthoug 69€ is a nice offer.

Return to “Instruments”