Midi Fighter Twister support for Bitwig 2

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Pawnbroker, just letting you know that your controller template for the MF Twister cannot be activated in the new 2.5 beta. I'm really hoping you have the time to debug and update the controller for 2.5 because I rely on your controller template constantly! If there's anything I can do to help, please reach out!

It's a shame Bitwig's controller scripting is so temperamental.

Oh no! Another reason for me not to update... I'll stick with 2.3 for a while, have to get things done.

M-Prod wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 am Oh no! Another reason for me not to update... I'll stick with 2.3 for a while, have to get things done.
The template works great in 2.4 and the new Sampler and other 2.4 features are really with upgrading for!

It’s also possible that my twister had just gotten confused after a restart and I didn’t realize it. I’ll definitely doublecheck this in the morning.

Ok please do, it's become my most important tool. I don't need all the new features, not even sampler. I'm mostly interested in basic production features. The new shortcuts, zooming, more efficiency on the Mac are great, but don't outweigh the bugs for me atm. As soon as they fix two of them I'm waiting for, I'm in.

M-Prod wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am Ok please do, it's become my most important tool. I don't need all the new features, not even sampler. I'm mostly interested in basic production features. The new shortcuts, zooming, more efficiency on the Mac are great, but don't outweigh the bugs for me atm. As soon as they fix two of them I'm waiting for, I'm in.
I got sidetracked this morning with higher priority work, but I will shoot for this afternoon. And yeah, the Twister template is mission-critical for me too.

For example, the new 2.4 Sampler’s “Select” knob is currently very frustrating to manipulate by mouse-dragging because it’s granularity is way too low. It’s very easy to skip over SEL ranges entirely, even in a multisample that doesn’t have that many different SEL zones. (It’s also frustrating that the Select knob uses percentage values instead of 0-127.)

But the Twister template solves the first problem nicely. The default granularity of the Twister knobs assigned to the panel for any insert device is already “smoother and smaller” than what you get with mouse drags in the UI. But when you click those knobs to toggle them into “fine” mode, the granularity is REALLY small and smooth. Which is exactly what you need when manipulating the Select knob in the Sampler.

So yeah, I hope that Pawnbroker is still around and willing to keep this template up to date as Bitwig moves forward! Or that some other developer (like Moss) picks up the baton and keeps running with it. Everyone I know who has a Twister for either Ableton or Bitwig simply loves the Twister and considers it a “must-have” controller.

Yokai wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 am The template works great in 2.4
Generally it is working fine with 2.4.
I'm only missing the features, that have been introduced in 2.4, e.g. visualisation of current values in the status bar.

It is really frustrating though, if the script doesn't work with 2.5 :-(

Midi Fighter Twister powered by @pawnbroker's script is by far the best controller I ever used! And believe me I've tried almost all of them. MFT is compact, not overcompicated, not too dumb... just perfect.

Hey all, I'm sorry for taking so long to get around to testing this again on 2.5b1. (Been swamped with higher priority work on projects in 2.4.)

So, I seem to have cried wolf. For whatever reason, the MidiFighter Utility side of things wasn't correctly loaded in the Twister itself when last tested. Everything works fine in 2.5b1. Well, more accurately, the template works exactly the same in 2.5 as it does now in 2.4.

Thanks for testing!

Very good news! :)

Noice!

As a Christmas present to all my fellow knob-twisters, I have published some minor updates to Axel's Bitwig integration for the Midi Fighter Twister.

- Device parameters controlled by the Twister now have visual feedback in the Bitwig GUI.
- Pressing knob 5 now toggles the remote control panel on the selected device. The panel is no longer automatically shown.
- Mismatched LED colors were corrected.

Don't forget to import the new .mfs file using the MF Utility!

https://github.com/dgmulf/bitwig-midi-f ... g/0.8.1.D1

I'll make a pull request for the main branch in the morning. I will likely be making some further tweaks to the Twister script in the future, so stay tuned!

Wow... Very cool, thanks a lot!

Return to “Controller Scripting”