Please beware of Mystery Islands Music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently bought a hardware editor from them and got burned...the software is really buggy once you dig into using it and support is non existent. I’ve just been ignored...

I have been burned a few times by companies like this and I don’t really understand why it is important to them to have unhappy customers on their roll....

I mean really... the plug won’t open presets, save presets... depending on what GUI knob you turn, entire patches get wiped out. It’s an unusable plug in it’s current state and I really have to wonder about the integrity of this developer.

More and more I see money back guarantees on developer websites... this guy has no refunds plastered all over his site. I wonder why.

Ive had the Mystery Islands JP 8080 editor since it came out a few years ago. It works as expected and the developer has always followed up on issues and maintains updates. Its basically a one man operation and the owner Jani Kervinen, seems pretty passionate about bringing older hardware back to life. The companies website is updated as is their Facebook page. This is definitely not a shady company

My experience has been completely the opposite. I really can’t count the bugs in this software as there are so many and support, the limited contact I have had, has had literally no interest in sorting through the problems. The only contact I’ve had was days ago via live chat and the developer left everything unresolved because it was his “lunch time”... never got back to me, never looked into the major bugs. Another guy on his forum has the same problem and over a week has gone by without support response... even on their own forum. Maybe you got lucky with the product you bought or maybe you didn’t have to deal with support because things worked straight away. That hasn’t been my experience and I genuinely feel ripped off. So I am telling others to beware.

About a week with no response from support. This is a shady business. The developer is well aware of the problem and hides behind his no refund policy. Funny I missed the one knob that destroys entire patches during my demo period... a shame the developer won’t communicate or at least let users know he is working on the problem. Silence is not good enough a week later. That is shady

I have the jp8000, VirusHC and Nova2 editor and it’s all working great for me. The VirusHC has some issues lately but was getting regular updates and fixes and now works really well. Much better than Access’s USB plugin.

Jani’s a good guy, defiantly not shady. Have you raised the issue on the forum he has?

Just out of interest, what plugin are you referring to?

It's the MicroKorg editor.

This guy Jani, who you say is not shady, knows there is a problem. His response is silence and hiding behind a no refund policy.

Buyer beware

I hope people just check out Mystery Islands software for themselves. This is a one man operation by a developer who has a passion for bringing forward editors for older synths. Demos are available and like the vast majority of software makers , refunds are not. You have a chance to try the product fully , and the developer is available to contact (phone number at the top of the web page). Also here is a link to over 300 reviews on the Mystery Islands site. The reviews are clearly not cherry picked to show just good ones; you see issues here but most folks are reasonable and not just name calling

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/reviews/

Too bad the guy isn’t so passionate about customer support. I only ask for confirmation he can duplicate the problem and is working on it. Sorry I can’t take him seriously if the one knob out of 30 I didn’t demo destroys entire patches. Be reasonable. The plug is broken. Communicate, fix the problem, show support to the people who have invested in your product.

Really not that much to ask for.

And don’t worry... I will get my refund.

Thanks for that link. The first two reviews I read:

"The design and looks of the GUI is impressive. If I only could make it work that would be great..."

"I'm giving 2 star as a constructive criticism, the software is really buggy, the sysex transmission is clumsy, octave shift does not work and voice transpose and other knobs activate vibrato..."

Both 5 days old. :lol: Here's another good one [situation normal]:

"Really! You took my money and when I posted for help about how to configure my synth to receive the sound set I purchased you ignored my request for support... I like the product I bought from Mystery Island, but your lack of support and lack of communication puts me off dealing with you in the future. If you can’t be bothered then I can’t bothered buying."

And I added my own:

"MicroKorg editor has some serious bugs. Support requests are ignored. Buyer Beware"

Well, I feel a little better :wink:

I don't have a horse in this race, but it's a bit disturbing that many (and probably most) of the 5-star reviews on the site are from the same people. And they're not the same reviews mistakenly displayed several times; there's something slightly different in each one.

In one case, a 1-star review (and lengthy explanation) was somehow turned into a 5-star review with text that makes no sense. This is on the second page of reviews, just before the four (yes, 4) 5-star reviews from "Fabio B.".

It may well be that these multiple--and bogus--5-star reviews are what helped the company get a "4.6 out of 5-star" overall rating.

I haven't bought anything from this company, but that just looks bad.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

SAW75 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 am Thanks for that link. The first two reviews I read:

"The design and looks of the GUI is impressive. If I only could make it work that would be great..."

"I'm giving 2 star as a constructive criticism, the software is really buggy, the sysex transmission is clumsy, octave shift does not work and voice transpose and other knobs activate vibrato..."

Both 5 days old. :lol: Here's another good one [situation normal]:

"Really! You took my money and when I posted for help about how to configure my synth to receive the sound set I purchased you ignored my request for support... I like the product I bought from Mystery Island, but your lack of support and lack of communication puts me off dealing with you in the future. If you can’t be bothered then I can’t bothered buying."

And I added my own:

"MicroKorg editor has some serious bugs. Support requests are ignored. Buyer Beware"

Well, I feel a little better :wink:
The second review you quoted was changed from a 1-star review (including helpful text which explained the user's concerns) to a 5-star review (with meaningless text which doesn't even form a complete sentence) for some reason.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Still no response from support. I am being ignored. I have a paypal dispute and will have a claim with my bank Monday morning. This character is going to remain silent and hide behind his no refund policy. He doesn’t care that he is selling broken software at all.

One of the worst developers I have ever come across. Flat out shady.

Please beware of purchasing from Mystery Islands Music.

Glad I caught this, I was just going to buy from them. thanks
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Their Blofeld editor works just fine over here.

Two weeks. No response from support.

This guy robbed me.

Return to “Instruments”