DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Deleted because of fearing a fanboi shitstorm...
Last edited by martinjuenke on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iHartBeats wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm
Serum has shown to be the thought leader. It introduced a number of features that other synths continue to copy. It may not be *the best* synth, but it is the one breaking new ground & introducing ideas that other synths are playing catch up with.
Serum has shown no such thing...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm hey tek, those rings look a lot more purple on my phone then they do on my pc screen. make a judgment call. maybe i'm not seeing a good hue or tent.
On my PC monitor they look blue :wink:
If you think R 141 G 49 B 255 is blue then you need to get a new monitor...or new eyes. :roll:

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors ... 049, 255)
Last edited by Teksonik on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

recursive one wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 am
4damind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am "Spire"... hmm. You need only to listen to some of the demo presets in Dune 3 which are using the features of the Unison engine... such layered and evolving sounds cannot be created with Spire.
Yes, they can. Spire's osicllators can be intependently targeted by steppers and/or LFOs. Check out some factory patches where some of the oscillators play a sequence and other play a supproting pad sound as you hold a note.

TBH, no matter which synth, the actual use of such complex patches is pretty limited. I's much easier to make all layering and sequencing in a DAW.
Can Spire create Unison patches with 8320 layered oscillators at full polyphony? Without destroying your CPU.
Last edited by v1o on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 am You know, from a technical point of view, both Dune 2 and Dune 3 are superior to about any of the competing "flagship" type synths. That's not my issue at all. The filters are very good, and it's even very efficient at the same time. The problem i still have it is the general sound character. The new filters don't help with that. Fair enough, a lot of people (at least here, i don't see nearly as many soundsets for Dune as for other synths) seem to like it, and, there's enough other synths out there to please everyone.

Note that i think Dune is great for pads sound. I still don't like it for plucky, punchy, aggressive sounds though. As recursive one mentioned, it lends itself to the more soft sounds. And there's some good basses to be had as well.
Can Spire create Unison patches with hundreds of layered oscs?
No. But what does that have to do with my post?

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm hey tek, those rings look a lot more purple on my phone then they do on my pc screen. make a judgment call. maybe i'm not seeing a good hue or tent.
On my PC monitor they look blue :wink:
If you think R 141 G 49 B 255 is blue then you need to get a new monitor...or new eyes. :roll:

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors ... 049, 255)
Depends on the angle. When I stand up and look down on my monitor from the top, it is a weak purple, but when I am sitting and looking at the monitor horizontally (the way it one is supposed to, I suppose), it is almost the same color as pure blue (0,0,255) :)

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm So if you think Serum is "thought leader" and think Synapse has "given up" then why are you here ? Just like the sound of your own bitching ?
As a big supporter of Dune 2 I want Synapse to hear concerns from invested customers. IF I have more avenues than just voting with dollars then I'll take those additional avenues.

This release is, at best, a point release... not a whole new version.

It is transitioning differently between my pc and my iphone FYI. I tweaked your color a little :) Hope it works out... I would diearly love it. We could call it Dune "PLUSH".

rgb(178, 33, 220)

@ Tek

#bc37e1
rgb(188, 55, 225)
hsl(287, 74%, 55%)

iHartBeats wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:40 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm So if you think Serum is "thought leader" and think Synapse has "given up" then why are you here ? Just like the sound of your own bitching ?
As a big supporter of Dune 2 I want Synapse to hear concerns from invested customers. IF I have more avenues than just voting with dollars then I'll take those additional avenues.

This release is, at best, a point release... not a whole new version.
correct, a 0.4 release, from 2.6 to 3.0

I'll check back later or hit me PM tek.

:hug:

iHartBeats wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Serum has shown to be the thought leader. It introduced a number of features that other synths continue to copy. It may not be *the best* synth, but it is the one breaking new ground & introducing ideas that other synths are playing catch up with.
Such as....?

No, seriously, such as???

Drag and drop modulation goes back to Massive....

Serum had wavetable import relatively "early" I guess....

Uh... the little balls that run along the envelopes when you hit a key are a nice visualization, but again, I don't think Serum invented it....so...."a number of features that other synths continue to copy..." Pray tell, what? As far as I can tell Serum mostly took the blueprint of Massive and just updated a few things, e.g. the import of tables and the visualization of modulation.

Pigment looks more colorful and modern.

They all want a big pie of the xmas pie it seems :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 pm
v1o wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 am You know, from a technical point of view, both Dune 2 and Dune 3 are superior to about any of the competing "flagship" type synths. That's not my issue at all. The filters are very good, and it's even very efficient at the same time. The problem i still have it is the general sound character. The new filters don't help with that. Fair enough, a lot of people (at least here, i don't see nearly as many soundsets for Dune as for other synths) seem to like it, and, there's enough other synths out there to please everyone.

Note that i think Dune is great for pads sound. I still don't like it for plucky, punchy, aggressive sounds though. As recursive one mentioned, it lends itself to the more soft sounds. And there's some good basses to be had as well.
Can Spire create Unison patches with hundreds of layered oscs?
No. But what does that have to do with my post?
Nevermind was not meant for you
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”