DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Stan Navi wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 am Let's speak how Dune 3 stand against Spire! What do you think?
I think Spire is an extremely average sounding synth and I wouldn't bother installing it if it was free. It has a nice GUI but that's about it, really. OTOH, DUNE's sound quality is stunning. Using it is bound to make whatever you are doing sound better. Yes, the workflow can be infuriating but I am more than happy to put up with it to get that sound in our songs.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Spire is definitely not an average sounding synth lolol Its great, many people and pros use it, so dont talk non sense. Its just you didnt click with it. And show some respect towards Spire and its devs!

v1o wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am
tony10000 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:45 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 am Maybe some of you are too young to remember but not all software is like FLS says. There was a time when you went to the store (yes, you actually got out of your damn house) and bought a piece of software that was on a CD ROM or even (gasp) a floppy disk. And it was yours for as long as you had a computer that would run it.

I don't know how we ever got to a world where you paid for software and had to hope and pray that the company that sold it to you didn't go out of business or you'd lose it.

And what gets me is that people today just accept that.

While I live with it, because I have no choice, I will never accept it.
Well, you could always fire up the IDE and compiler and write your own software. That way, you really own it and can do whatever you want with it.
Even if you had the skills it would take you years to write a daw.
Certainly true for a DAW. However, a synth would be much more feasible, especially with scripting tools or a framework.

zvenx wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 am I think Kevin patches are fantastic to show off a synth and for a sound designer to dissect and study, but personally I don't find many of his patches suit me for actual productions... ( just too much stuff happening with one key press in many of them)..ymmv.
This. With all due respect to Kevin and his amazing sound designing skills, his patches are made to impress, but indeed are mostly useless for actual productions. Stirp down all the effects and layers and you'll end up with pretty, well... savorless sound.

As far as Dune vs Spire goes, I'd say get both :) They are quite similar in features but very different in sound character. Spire has much more agressive, bright and "in your face" sound, Dune is softer and smoother, though the new filters and the saturator seem to give it a bit more "edge". As someone coming form hardware Virus I tend to prefer Spire overall since it sounds much more similar to Virus but every now and then Dune2 appears to work better in a mix at this or that specific task (and I guess there will be even more occasions where D3 will shine).

In short, both are great and it makes sense to have both, they comlement each other nicely.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Seelachsfilet wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:48 pm I find it so strange that Synapse Audio just throw a demo at me and don't give a damn about any presentations or any marketing.
No sound demos or audio demos on their website. Nothing on their youtube channel....Just saying 'The Best Dune Ever' lol

Not even anyone on Youtube really cares. Can find 2 random (!) videos with a demonstration where only one of them is good.

if you want to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolZwASlSHo

And then I see this crazy price tag.... as a product, this does look BAD. Also for the company in my opinion.

Please convince me to buy this one, you gotta make it shine in some fancy presentation. You have to throw this one out there like a grenade. Can you remember how they presented 'The Legend'? I was hyped!!!!! I am one of those impulse buyers, you get me with a good hype. When I saw this surprising release, I was really excited because I LOVE the sound of Dune 2, but now I am already losing interest on Day 2 (or3?).

Yes I know, you are going to tell me now to try out the demo.
I don't want that, I like to check production related news on my mobile phone in bed or whatever. It is 2018 and the scene is huge. And if I find a product that looks/sounds great, THEN I try out the demo or straight away make a purchase.
This is exactly how they got me to buy the legend, no hesitation, and I still love the synth.
This way it looks like they simply don't have anything to show / are lazy / don't think their own synth is worth it.

Just my thoughts!!

It not too late, Synapse. Go make a great presentation or hire someone to do it. Just demonstrate the new functions. Show some cool presets. I mean you guys have developed this thing, should be ez.

Markus
Well Dune 3 was released like - yesterday? And it will stay a couple of days I guess... :wink:

I'm sure they'll come up with stuff. So will Youtube.

Spire is a top notch synth. And so are Dune and Zebra. They have distinct sound characters and compliment each other.

"Spire"... hmm. You need only to listen to some of the demo presets in Dune 3 which are using the features of the Unison engine... such layered and evolving sounds cannot be created with Spire. Not to mention that the sound of Dune goes a bit more into the direction of Roland synth (IMO) while Spire remembers me often, with this clean and very digital sound, to the Virus (or Sylenth).

4damind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am "Spire"... hmm. You need only to listen to some of the demo presets in Dune 3 which are using the features of the Unison engine... such layered and evolving sounds cannot be created with Spire.
Yes, they can. Spire's osicllators can be intependently targeted by steppers and/or LFOs. Check out some factory patches where some of the oscillators play a sequence and other play a supproting pad sound as you hold a note.

TBH, no matter which synth, the actual use of such complex patches is pretty limited. I's much easier to make all layering and sequencing in a DAW.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

You know, from a technical point of view, both Dune 2 and Dune 3 are superior to about any of the competing "flagship" type synths. That's not my issue at all. The filters are very good, and it's even very efficient at the same time. The problem i still have it is the general sound character. The new filters don't help with that. Fair enough, a lot of people (at least here, i don't see nearly as many soundsets for Dune as for other synths) seem to like it, and, there's enough other synths out there to please everyone.

Note that i think Dune is great for pads sound. I still don't like it for plucky, punchy, aggressive sounds though. As recursive one mentioned, it lends itself to the more soft sounds. And there's some good basses to be had as well.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 am Maybe some of you are too young to remember but not all software is like FLS says. There was a time when you went to the store (yes, you actually got out of your damn house) and bought a piece of software that was on a CD ROM or even (gasp) a floppy disk. And it was yours for as long as you had a computer that would run it.
The software I download today is also mine for as long as I have a computer that runs it.

Nothing has changed...
So you own absolutely no software that, if the company went out of business and shut its site down, would stop working.

So that means you own nothing by Waves for starters. Nothing by Arturia. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but there are at least a few.

Companies usually take precautions, leave the license servers running, or remove the copy protection completely, before they go out of business.

Funny that you mentioned some of the bigger players, though. Do you really believe Waves or Arturia will go out of business soon? :)

Not that i think any of this belongs here. Rather open up a new thread for the same old lament, which has been flogged to death already a gazillion times here.

Synapse aint going anywhere lol,

The more I play with d3 the more i love it. I am surprised at how much he was able to fit into this thing. still hoping on the purple version. :)

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm Synapse aint going anywhere lol,
Sure. Just like Sears wasn't going anywhere. Oh wait.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am So you own absolutely no software that, if the company went out of business and shut its site down, would stop working.

So that means you own nothing by Waves for starters. Nothing by Arturia. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but there are at least a few.
If a company goes out of business, it's just a mater of time until your software stops working. This is less prone in Windows, due to the backwards compatibility cautions from Microsoft, but in macOS, what it will take is just a couple of OS versions, and you're done. Even if your software has no copy protection AT ALL. It's just a matter of time. I'd say that, ten years after (maybe less, depending on the circumstances), you'll eventually not be able to use that software anymore.

Only solution would be freezing your computer in the status it is when the company goes out. But then, it would work for ANY software, including the copy protected.
Fernando (FMR)

yesterday there was an upgrade from Dune 1 to Dune 3 for 79$ but it appears it was a mistake because it don't appears anymore

Return to “Instruments”