Anything particular you want to see from BFD3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

Pointless babble from me as Windosw 7 is no longer supported.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:25 pm Unrelated but while we have your ear I have actually found it impossible to buy any of the Black Friday deals - do you have any contacts that could deal with this as the sale will be over before anyone is back at the office? It is impossible to use the Proceed with Payment button. I have tried on Chrome and Firefox. I'm trying to buy Crush, and maybe the new wooden snares pack.
Send me a PM and I'll sort you out as best I can.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Is there a BFD4 in the works?

Pointless babble from me as Windows 7 is no longer supported.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

+1 for Groove editor tutorials.

Angus' original video shows function but not workflow.

I always feel tackling the groove editor to be a job in itself. And while I like the results the learning curve always feels steep.

I still can't get the timeline editor to work. I always end up cutting or moving and then losing stuff in the process so I never use it, even though I'm sure it's an excellent tool.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Allow users to create drums with multi-articulations. I don't care if there is no GUI method for it, I looked at the XML files and a text editor can handle it (and is actually easier when using so many files).

Just some random thoughts. From a FR perspective:

1. The AmbMixer should go IMO. I was never a fun of this particular routing implementation and once you start mixing and matching content, it could be a bit of a headache and could seem to get confused about what to do about non-standard channel configurations.

2. Custom channel/microphone unloading. If I want to completely unload a channel, I should be able to. Not going to use a mono room microphone? Why not let me completely unload it and remove it from the GUI?

3. Slate is doing some kind of physical modeling with repeat drum hits. You guys kind of lead the charge in this area with the cymbal swell and tom resonance modeling, so it would make sense to expand this a bit with some repeat drum hit modeling too.

4. Finding the right Groove/Fill needs improvement. Right now, the Groove Library isn't the easiest to use. I'll roll my own grooves but if it was easier to find the right groove, I'd probably use the the buil-in ones more. Especially drum fills. I've found many of the drum fills to be overly complex and not very musical.

5. Larger area for drawing Grooves within the interface, better looking note heads. I've never been a fan of the diamond shaped note heads and would much prefer flags with a clear vertical front so you know exactly where the note starts (hard to tell with diamonds).

6. VST plugin hosting would be huge. The built-in effects are good, but I still prefer to use my own. If I could use them in a BFD4 or something, that'd be amazing. Speaking of effects, I've never really loved Breverb. Maybe license some Valhalla algorithms if possible?

7. Great presets in a wide variety of genres. Especially if you could get some "name" engineers to develop presests.

8. Would love to see more realistic humanization with more of a push-pull type of feeling possible without having to manually move drum hits. Right now, getting a good groove is still easier by manually moving notes around, but it would be great if this could be kind of automated and built into a knob. If I could start out by programing a groove to the grid and just turn a knob to get a really human sounding performance, that'd be amazing.

Content-wise:

1. I'd personally like to see kits/pieces setup and tuned to work for specific genres. For instance, maybe have the same snare in there multiple times with different tunings or microphones to work for specific genres. For instance, a Black Beauty snare that's tuned low and tight, and another where you hear more of the shell, or one that emphasized the crack that might work better in hard rock. Tuning the samples after the fact never works the same and I'd rather have one good snare in 3 or 4 different tunings than 3 or 4 different drums in relatively similar tunings.

2. I'd love to see a C&C kit. Has anyone sampled one of these yet?

I´d like to see a specific tutorial for the cymbal swells. Especially the different settings and where e.g the hihats are different in behavior than ride cymbals.

Maybe it is worth to create a dedicated video for the ambience mics and the interaction of the individual kit pieces with the ambience bus especially when we there´s a mix´n´match situation from different sound expansions.

I really don´t miss that much. But when I use a drum kit with not all kit pieces, I´d like to see this reflected in the groove editor. The removed channel in the mixer view is greyed out and that´s fine, but in the editor this is empty space I need to cross unnecessarily.

Thanks for such a great product.

Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

That's all good feedback, cheers peeps! Keep 'em coming.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Bump in case anyone hasn't seen this yet. Definitely interested in more feedback.

by the way, to plug myself a bit (not every user of BFD aware of this): https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtop ... cad0ac5462

@Amberience, i wish i didn't have to resort to writing this myself, and there was an official BFD tool to do this kind of thing :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:50 pm by the way, to plug myself a bit (not every user of BFD aware of this): https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtop ... cad0ac5462

@Amberience, i wish i didn't have to resort to writing this myself, and there was an official BFD tool to do this kind of thing :)
Ha!! I remember that, was quite impressed that someone would go to the effort to do it. I never got involved in it because the in-house notion was pretty much 'let people get on with it, but it's unsupported' - fortunately nobody really ever emailed us with any problems resulting from editing their XML.

In an ideal world if there's missing information or a bug, we'd fix it and release an update. Right now content updates are a right pain to do. I've got some ideas on fixing that so that we can do updates for packs more frequently and deploy them easier. Watch this space, as they say!

Amberience wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:22 pm Ha!! I remember that, was quite impressed that someone would go to the effort to do it. I never got involved in it because the in-house notion was pretty much 'let people get on with it, but it's unsupported' - fortunately nobody really ever emailed us with any problems resulting from editing their XML.
so, either no one ever used it, or it's a testament to how careful i was at making sure i don't touch anything other than what i intended :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”