Warning: Don't install Groove Agent 5 trial!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know whether this is already floating out there, but I have groove agent 4 and decided to try the GA5 trial. Apparently, it deletes any previous version already installed which is appalling since I didn't see any warning about such. It's only a trial- I didn't trade in GA4 for a GA5 upgrade pricing, so I'm at a loss for why my paid version would be overwritten! :x

FYI: It's not a grace period upgrade since I've had GA4 for probably a year!

Probably because it is treated as an update of former versions, like all the Steinberg plugins?

I'm a bit confused how that is "DON'T DO THAT!!!" problem anyway. Your user files should all still be there? All you need is to uninstall Groove Agent, and reinstall version 4.

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 am Probably because it is treated as an update of former versions, like all the Steinberg plugins?

I'm a bit confused how that is "DON'T DO THAT!!!" problem anyway. Your user files should all still be there? All you need is to uninstall Groove Agent, and reinstall version 4.
There is no don't install issue since it's merely a warning. Perhaps using careful would be more fitting? I was trying to keep the title short. Of course it's no issue if you don't have GA anyway. GA5 is not an update, it's an upgrade. It's also not just an plugin but also a standalone version that can now record samples. Re-installing things can be a hassle with tracking down files or having to re-download updates, etc. Also things can become corrupted- which is always fun.

I have installed other Steinberg product trials or updates that didn't disturb other versions. I have both Cubase elements 9 and 9.5 installed where 9.5 didn't wipe out 9.0. Same deal with wavelab. I also have Cubase pro 9.5 and would be curious if 10 will overwrite it. This is my first experience with this happening. Forewarning folks of possible unwanted issues can sometimes be a good thing. :ud:

The Daw versions can run side by side, their instruments replace earlier version and therefore dont' run side by side.
For me I would have them no other way.
I imagine they expect you to have done this research before installing. But an extra warning couldn't hurt indeed.
rsp
sound sculptist

pc2000 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 am I have installed other Steinberg product trials or updates that didn't disturb other versions. I have both Cubase elements 9 and 9.5 installed where 9.5 didn't wipe out 9.0. Same deal with wavelab. I also have Cubase pro 9.5 and would be curious if 10 will overwrite it. This is my first experience with this happening. Forewarning folks of possible unwanted issues can sometimes be a good thing. :ud:
The plugins (Halion, Retrologue, Padshop) definitely get updated when you install newer versions. Other versions of Cubase and Wavelab can be installed alongside each other. It's always been that way with Steinberg, i don't know it differently. Again, there's no issues involved. Just uninstall version 5, and re-install version 4, done. You'll surely keep all your user files.

ok.

pc2000 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 amRe-installing things can be a hassle with tracking down files or having to re-download updates, etc.
Exactly. Thanks for the heads up!

You can get the latest version of Groove Agent 4 here: https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id= ... gent_4&L=0

Yes I recall this happening with Halion 6...but I know they allowed users to also have a v5 license, but I have no idea if you can run Halion 5 and 6 on the same machine...I have not tried.

thejonsolo wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 pm Yes I recall this happening with Halion 6...but I know they allowed users to also have a v5 license, but I have no idea if you can run Halion 5 and 6 on the same machine...I have not tried.
No you can't.
The reason they allowed v6 to have v5 licenses as well was that for the old, retired but still nice hypersonic 2, it needed the v5 license to run. Didn't work with the H6 license, so for those of us who still wanted to run hypersonic 2, they allowed us to also have a v5 license.
rsp
sound sculptist

Not only Hypersonic. Also the Halion 3 Factory content and even Halion 5 could not run with an Halion 6 License

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm You can get the latest version of Groove Agent 4 here: https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id= ... gent_4&L=0
Getting the latest version 4 isn't an issue. Some people have running projects with the current version, but would like to trial the next version over an extended period of time in a controlled environment without the risk of running in some compatibly issues later on when deciding not to upgrade.

As has been pointed out, that is not possible.

It actually says in the installer that it updates the existing version though, so there is no "trap" really.

rasmusklump wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:41 am Not only Hypersonic. Also the Halion 3 Factory content and even Halion 5 could not run with an Halion 6 License
Ahhh. Didn't realise that.
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am As has been pointed out, that is not possible.

It actually says in the installer that it updates the existing version though, so there is no "trap" really.
No one says it's a trap. It's just a poor design if you replace the UID of a registered VST with the UID of trial version but can't simply roll back to the previous version without needing to reinstall and reconfigure. A way better solution would be to leave that option to the user for the aforementioned scenario.

Not that I will even bother to update GA4 to 5 for that price tag. :nutter:

Return to “Instruments”