Korg SQ1 vs Beatstep vs Beatstep Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for another way of creating sequences - I find every tool I use for this I end up somewhere else, which is a good thing.

I'm looking for something small and simple - to control mainly hardware, probably one sequence at a time would suffice, although two might be fun. Ideally something that doesn't always have to be connected up to a computer, but can be. DIN MIDI out (via adaptor) would be handy. CV/Gate nice. Memories would be nice but with MIDI out I can always simply record anything into Cubase. Looking to have it in the studio only.

Having looked at some of the obvious ones Korg SQ1 and Beatstep I can't see anything where the Korg out features the Beatstep. Have I missed something?

And then, and I haven't looked at this just yet, for step sequencing is there anything where Beatstep pro really scores over Beatstep?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Doepfer Dark Time is pretty darn awesome for step sequencing.
Relatively small.
Does CV, midi and midi over USB and can act as a midi/usb to CV converter.

I also have an SQ1 which is like a baby Dark Time.
More expensive than SQ1 and Beatstep though.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The Korg SQ-1 can output cv as V/Hz, while the original Beatstep can't. I don't remember about the Beatstep Pro, but I think it can too. This is important only if you need to control V/Hz hardware through cv (for example a MS-20).

The Korg SQ-1 and original Beatstep are limited to 16 steps, while the Beatstep Pro can go up to 64 steps. This is probably the most important difference.

I think the Korg SQ-1 features a mode where it can put out pitch without quantizing it to note. The original Beatstep can't. I don't remember the Beatstep Pro (maybe with the cv/mod output? I'm quite sure the note output can't). However this is important only if you sequence things through cv, it won't matter anything to you if you work with midi.

The SQ-1 has no transposition feature, which is a huge omission.

Other than the internal clock (which all these tools of course have), the Beastep Pro can be synced to a variety of external sync signals, while the original Beatstep works only on midi clock (received through usb). The Korg SQ-1 receives both midi clock or "Volca Sync" (2ppq sync analog clock).

Also, if I'm not wrong, I remember reading that the Korg SQ-1 doesn't output midi notes (just analog cv) when it's under control of an external midi clock.

I have all of them and I rarely use them (I'm not really into melodic step sequencing), but the SQ-1 is just a midi to cv converter in my setup, while the original Beatstep gathers dust. If I want to play with a step sequencer, I use the Beatstep Pro.

The Beastep Pro has a lot in common with the sequencer of the DrumBrute line and, in my opinion, is just great. It's really fast and intuitive.
It also has the advantage of a small readout for the note you're editing (which is an important feature in my opinion)... and it has also other nice features...

If you can afford it, I would strongly advice you to buy the Beatstep Pro, the other two sequencers are quite limited in my opinion.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I like to use the SQ1 as a complex LFO, or 2
Amazon: why not use an alternative

thanks for the great replies. I'll continue my research but some great pointers there.

I don't want to pay much so the Doepfer is out - I'm not wanting to sequence a MS10. For me 64 steps would be overkill, I'm looking for something simple and dead cheap. I have two other hardware sequencers including one that will do unquantized, plus bunches of software ones and of course the DAW itself - I'm just looking for a fun add on.

I think the Beatstep is probably best for my needs although I'll continue to look at the Pro

Have you looked at the Keystep? As a bonus you also get a keyboard and it's still not that big of a footprint.
Image Image Image Image

The Keystep is a nice piece of gear, but it forces you to think as a keyboard player (aka "which note I'm going to press next") and to count the steps while you're entering note... When I use this type of sequencer, I feel like I'm transcribing something: while sometime it's nice and it can be even a source of inspiration, it's a completely different experience from a step sequencer.
With a step sequencer, you're not forced to insert the notes in order in a step sequencer (you can go back and forth while entering) and you can easily alter the sequence (change pitches, mute steps, etc...) while the sequencer is playing.

For me, the Keystep is a master keyboard with a few built in utilities, I don't really regard it as a sequencer...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I won this in the charity auction: https://twisted-electrons.com/product/crazy8/. Hasn't arrived yet, but I think it checks all of your boxes.

Not really interested in the keystep as it's the step sequencer idea I'm interested in and I already have a Nektar Panorama and Roli Rise

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:42 pm And then, and I haven't looked at this just yet, for step sequencing is there anything where Beatstep pro really scores over Beatstep?
I absolutely love the beatstep pro, I like them that much I bought 2 of them. The BS (not pro) only controls 1 synth whereas the BSP has 3 sequencers, so with mine its:

BSP 1 controlling

Roland TR09 - Roland TB03 - Roland SH01a

BSP 2 controlling

Roland TR8s - Waldorf Blofeld - Waldorf Pulse 2

I then control both via Elektron Digitakt which then controls my Quantum and a couple of other synths hower I would highly recommend the BSP even if you want to just control synths in your DAW.
I also have a Keystep but just use that for playing soft synths.

x2 BSP below

and I got them all from here, they're like £193 in the UK and I paid £178 each and had them in 24hrs and they're the limited edition blacks.. I'm 100% happy with mine they can do a lot when you assign stuff in the midi control center software then forget about it, they just work..

There seems to be 13 left in stock

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-studio- ... q=beatstep

If you need to control 4 synths and 2 drum machines just chain then together via midi for triggering.

Hope that helps

Rob

did you get the little pack of cables?

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 pm did you get the little pack of cables?
Yeah in the black version you get 14 cables plus the splitters and midi cables so I got like 28 cables 6 midi leads and 2 splitters with the 2 BSP's

rob_lee wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 pm did you get the little pack of cables?
Yeah in the black version you get 14 cables plus the splitters and midi cables so I got like 28 cables 6 midi leads and 2 splitters with the 2 BSP's

that's cool! :tu:

if i wasn't waiting on a crazy8 id grab one for sure.
still might :lol:

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:39 pm if i wasn't waiting on a crazy8 id grab one for sure.
still might :lol:
Mate for £178 delivered in 24hrs and for what you get in the box you'd be crazy not to get 2 lol it has all the connections round the back for your modular gear :tu:

SQ1 is a very handy sequencer to control about anything in the Eurorack.
I always keep 2 around.
Beatstep pro much deeper, but also less portable.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”