Getting back into music - which Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been out of music for at least 5 years. Used Cubase since 1990 so as you can see - it's just easy to use something that will at least be familier (last time I was making any music I was on an old SX2 version). Certainly I'm open to suggestion to other DAWs that use a similar workflow to Cubase, as I'm aware it may well have changed beyond my recognition now...currently diddling about on the desktop with that freebie version of Cakewalk, which TBH is much better than I remember it being, though still pretty clunky - definitely need something a bit better on the worlkflow front for when I properly get the studio up and running again.

Anyway - thinking about Cubase Artist 10 - I always used to use the full blown Cubase, but really I don't need at least half of it. I tend to record down to audio and muck around with that, will be using a fair amount of old h/w so don't need huge amounts of VSTis, and most of my FX will be VST but probably 3rd party anyway (thinking about splashing out on the Lexicon verbs for one). How limited is Artist compared to full Cubase and is the real light version even OK for someone like me - brought up on h/w with h/w mixers, so will likely be working the same way - routing down to busses, used to working with 16-24 channels only kind of thing.

Don't want to start a DAW war, but open to suggestions for other DAWs if Cubase has changed so much since SX2 that I'll have to put in the work to learn a new DAW anyway (which is what I suspect)...Cakewalk really drives me nuts with real basic limitations on things like copying parts and being unable to edit copies without changing every part - even old Cubase could do stuff like that easily and with easy shortcuts)

Cheers...

Think Cubase evolved nicely and seems to cater more and more to artist's, probably Zedd got involved in some ways being famous EDM endorser, but not beyond recognition IMO, so if you are comfortable with it, stick with it, every other DAW is bigger change.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

The main change since Cubase 5.5.3 and today for me, that's quite beneficial is the time stretch.
Their EQ "Frequency" is quite good but they've broken it for how I'll use it, on regions in Audio Part Editor (the spectrum doesn't show at all).

I will say it performs vastly better than it ever did now on my new computer but I don't know it it's particularly more optimal in itself.
Cubase 9.5 is not really that different than 5. I went from SX2 to 5 (in spring 2009) to 9 (late 2016).

kritikon wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 am I tend to record down to audio and muck around with that, will be using a fair amount of old h/w so don't need huge amounts of VSTis,
You might like external effect features in Cubase Pro - if having some hardware - it's not so much about content in Pro - at least not for me, not one bit. Never use "stock" anything.

And liking ability of track templates(track archives in Cubase Pro) is another thing.
Ability to re-record a bus to a track is Pro feature as well.

At least you get track lanes in Artist. But link groups is only temporary in Artist - so if you use that is one thing to consider.

So if budget allows it - I would go Pro. Nested VCA's and stuff is nice headroom when a project comes to that size.

Pro. Even if you don't think you'll use all of it's features now.
If it's too much outlay in one hit, get what you can afford and upgrade later.

I use Cubase 6.5 and I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade any further. It contains more than I'll ever need to use. The only reason to upgrade is that the occasional new plugin doesn't run inside it for whatever reason. I've deleted every Cubase native plugin and use entirely 3rd party VST2, except for a few VST3 that are easier or faster to sidechain with. It's generally very solid. I love it. So much. Oh yes.
I like to have the floating windows, i personally don't like the docked window thing.
I can't think of a single reason i'd ever want to upgrade, except if i really needed to upgrade my OS.
Surely someone could pick up a copy of Cubase 6.5 around the traps?!
it's dope

Steinberg eats shit though.

"I will say it performs vastly better than it ever did now on my new computer but I don't know it it's particularly more optimal in itself.
Cubase 9.5 is not really that different than 5. I went from SX2 to 5 (in spring 2009) to 9 (late 2016)."

Thanks...so it's not a massive leap of workflow from SX2 to latest Cubase? Obviously there'll be plenty of things they lost on the way, and things they added.

"You might like external effect features in Cubase Pro - if having some hardware - it's not so much about content in Pro - at least not for me, not one bit. Never use "stock" anything."

Now that sounds intriguing. External effects features...as in you can control external FX over midi (used to be able to set up midi templates on the real old version of Cubase, which got lost somewhere on the journey). Or something different? If it's to do with routing external FX audio into busses or somesuch, that would entirely depend on your soundcard in/out abilities wouldn't it? (I'm likely to be going for something basic - mid range in terms of soundcard - used to have a flash multi in/out soundcard, but incompatible now with Win X, and TBH I'd probably rather go back to having a bog standard soundcard but with some kind of mixer instead.

"At least you get track lanes in Artist. But link groups is only temporary in Artist - so if you use that is one thing to consider.
" . Sorry, don't even know what track lanes are - I've been so out of the loop recent years.

"I can't think of a single reason i'd ever want to upgrade"

Yeah, but I'm coming back into the game from using SX2. Which is severely limited compared to what's on offer nowadays, so I may as well get something new to start with rather than starting from behind again.

They didn't loose much and they added enough, but the core of the program is there, I have experience with Cubase 5 LE and I really don't feel much difference, it's actually even better, I never liked it that much until 9.5, when they added bezier automation curves, seems like they are going in right direction.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Good to know, thanks. Because though I could learn another DAW, I'd rather not. That was always the thing with Cubase...they used to keep the general workflow the same even though it changed quite drastically over the years. From being a midi-only program back in the day, I remember it being very similar workflow when audio came into it (I was on Cubase right at the start on an Atari). So I'm hoping to keep headbanging against a new DAW to a minimum.

If you know your way around SX2 then getting up to speed on Cubase 10 Pro or 9.5 is going to be no problem. Computers have more resources these days so these things seem to get better and run more smoothly.

In spite of having Cubase on hand I find myself using Reaper for many tasks because it is stable and reliable and is so quick to boot up and get started and I can have it on as many machines as I like.

Studio One is a good program with some good innovative features like the scratch pad (it was originally designed by some of the guys who built Nuendo) but it is viewed by many here as not being as complete in some ways as Cubase Pro and you will need to get to know it as it is not set up quite like Cubase.
Last edited by egbert on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kritikon wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 am Cakewalk really drives me nuts with real basic limitations on things like copying parts and being unable to edit copies without changing every part - even old Cubase could do stuff like that easily and with easy shortcuts)
that's just because the copied clips are linked option is turned on...
I always wondered what it is about Sonar that makes people think they can use it without any RTFM... I keep reading the weirdest things since way back

If you've been out of the game for several years and having been a sole user of just one DAW, you might just want to try something similar but more digestible, lighter, more streamlined than Cubase. For myself I moved from Props Reason which I did feel was getting pretty heavy and old by the time I left it after 13 - 14 years of regular use. You have a few options, and one of the popular one's in particular to try out (if you haven't already) is unsurprisingly Studio One by Presonus. It takes many aspects from other DAWs, and implements them lightly whilst coming up with new ideas. One of the developers of it is originally from Steinberg, and thus has an air of Cubase around it, but also other DAW's as well.

I've been producing music since the days of sound trackers in the 1990's, Bar & Pipes, Dr T's Tiger Cub sequencer, Technosound Turbo and Aural Illusion on the Amiga platform. If you are reliant on using old hardware, or require specific things, you might want to stick with what you know, but other wise, you'll probably find Studio One, a fresh new and modern alternative to explore. It's being constantly updated and refined with regular release updates. There is Reaper also..but you'll need the patience of a saint to get on with... and in some parts it's quite antiquated in looks.. Something that even Cubase 10 of today hasn't escaped from...

If you've not tried Studio One yet, you don't really have a big window to trial it as one usually has if you are looking to save quite a bit of money on it...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

"I always wondered what it is about Sonar that makes people think they can use it without any RTFM... I keep reading the weirdest things since way back"

Well, if they made the manual accessible, maybe I'd have been able to read about how to unlink copied parts. Every time I've tried to dial up help from within Cakewalk it doesn't link to any kind of manual, it just leads me to a general Google search with some key words - many of the links being totally unrelated to what I want to know. The version I downloaded has no manual. I just assumed it's part of the freebie thing - you get it for free, but don't expect any bells and whistles...like a manual. I don't have a manual, and can't link to one.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”