Promo Bitwig of 100 $

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a very interesting offer.

A discount of $ 100, limited time offer.

Bitwig 2 is sold for the sum of 299 euros.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/shop/webshop.html

Still expensive for what it is. Also what is this upgrade plan? You won't be abe to even get bug fixes after a year, even though it might still be the same version number, or is it only for future upgrades(?)?

ZINO wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 am Still expensive for what it is. Also what is this upgrade plan? You won't be abe to even get bug fixes after a year, even though it might still be the same version number, or is it only for future upgrades(?)?
You keep whatever minor version you get at the end of the 1-year period (let's say version 2.4). You'll also get bug fixes for that minor version even if they are released after the 1-year period (meaning you get all the 2.4.x versions afterwards, but not the 2.5.x or higher).
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 pm Their pricing seems a bit on the steep side to me. IMO minor version upgrades (3.1, 3.2 etc) should always be free, and only upgrades to major versions should be charged for. Image Line doesn't charge for upgrades at all, I'd like to know how they can afford it while the common justification for upgrade pricing is "the devs gotta eat too". But then I'm not wealthy, which tells you all you need to know about my business expertise.
That's the problem with Bitwig's strategy to call these things like that. In most other DAWs, you won't get much of new features in minor version upgrades. In Bitwig's situation, things are different. Many of these minor version upgrades are almost like major version upgrades, with many new features and improvements.

So, if you look at it from traditional DAWs' perspective, it won't seem like much. But, in fact, it's a lot of upgrades during the year.

I wish Bitwig would do away with versioning like this, and go instead with release numbering. Instead of calling versions 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, or so, it might be better to call them like R5, R6, R7. Or use year versioning like 2018R1, 2018R2, 2019R1, so people would no longer associate minor version numbering with minor updates.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Vortifex wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 pm Their pricing seems a bit on the steep side to me. IMO minor version upgrades (3.1, 3.2 etc) should always be free, and only upgrades to major versions should be charged for.
I agree with what you are saying as related to the previous upgrade model.

However, with Bitwig there is no such thing as minor and major upgrade versions the way you are thinking about it.

What you are calling minor versions (2.3, 2.4, 2.5 etc) are their major versions. 2.9 to 3.0 will be just another step like 2.3 to 2.4

If you add up the changes, improvements, new features from Bitwig 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 (one year worth) it equals any DAW makers paid major upgrade.

They also should think of releasing other versions, like an Intro version with 16 tracks/scenes for not more than $99. Also, a dedicated controller like Push 2 for Live (nektar can do it I believe!) would make it more desirable.

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:10 am They also should think of releasing other versions, like an Intro version with 16 tracks/scenes for not more than $99. Also, a dedicated controller like Push 2 for Live (nektar can do it I believe!) would make it more desirable.
Bitwig is 10 people. They won't make their own controller. And neither will Akai or Novation, because the market is too small.

Hopefully this changes in few years.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I so hope Bitwig doesn't make their own controller...

Ableton is a much bigger company and still Push sucked up 5 years of their time in which the core Live app basically stayed still. I hadn't really thought of it before, but Push is probably a major contributor to why I switched away from Live. Not just because of the long developmental delay, but how Live now revolves around that controller and I don't like it.

Bitwig is developing in various fresh and creative ways... that would end if they spent all their resources on a controller. Also, it would narrow the program down to fit the controller. I think it is better to continue to develop the capability to interface effectively with a variety of controllers that will collectively fit a much wider range of compositional styles than Push does.

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:10 am They also should think of releasing other versions, like an Intro version with 16 tracks/scenes for not more than $99.
Agree, 16 tracks without VST count limitation, I'll be all over that. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm I so hope Bitwig doesn't make their own controller...

Ableton is a much bigger company and still Push sucked up 5 years of their time in which the core Live app basically stayed still. I hadn't really thought of it before, but Push is probably a major contributor to why I switched away from Live. Not just because of the long developmental delay, but how Live now revolves around that controller and I don't like it.

Bitwig is developing in various fresh and creative ways... that would end if they spent all their resources on a controller. Also, it would narrow the program down to fit the controller. I think it is better to continue to develop the capability to interface effectively with a variety of controllers that will collectively fit a much wider range of compositional styles than Push does.
I'm not sure the "protective" attitude would benefit them.

They are competing with Ableton Live if they want to or not. A dedicated controller is a natural 2nd thing the buyer wants, because the competitor has already that.

Ableton is not a hardware company. Even many of their native plugs are cooperated with or from 3rd party! This is not huge resources wasted!

So, if someone wants a setup like Live + Push, what will be your suggestion to him/her?

There is Maschine, but nothing special related to Bitwig with it.

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm I so hope Bitwig doesn't make their own controller...

I'm not sure the "protective" attitude would benefit them.

They are competing with Ableton Live if they want to or not. A dedicated controller is a natural 2nd thing the buyer wants, because the competitor has already that.

Ableton is not a hardware company. Even many of their native plugs are cooperated with or from 3rd party! This is not huge resources wasted!

So, if someone wants a setup like Live + Push, what will be your suggestion to him/her?

There is Maschine, but nothing special related to Bitwig with it.
Well... first, I just described my experience and what I want. Expressing that does not obligate me or mean I am interested to make suggestions of what others should do. It depends too much on different variables for there to be one answer. (which was kind of my point)

I used to have Live + Push. Doesn't interest me. I much prefer my Linnstrument as a playing instrument (someone else may want a keyboard and not pads). As a DAW controller, I would rather have a mixer layout with faders and dedicated mute/solo etc buttons plus a more spacious and well laid out transport section.

Then from my own experience and from watching videos, I see people taking more time to do some tasks on a Push than it takes to just use the mouse, screen and key commands. This big beautiful screen is such a great tool. I have no interest to leave it. For sound design, the screen and mouse is far better.

As for Bitwig, Push, both 1 and 2 work quite well with Bitwig. Then there is the Nektar Panorama controllers, they are solid also and specifically work with Bitwig. Some people really like working with Bitwig and Maschine. I've never tried it so cannot comment. There are plenty of other interesting controllers out there. As I said, I think it is better to continue to develop the Bitwig API and controller scripting so that any controller can work effectively. That way there are lots of choices of different tools and not all the eggs in one basket. There are lots of people Push doesn't work very well for.

I was never into Hardware controllers so I second the wish of pdxindy that they do not spend that amount of time for doing their own controller...
Better spend the time on developing the software itself which serves every user, while spending it on hardware developing serves only a part of users...

I'm all for improving on touch capabilities rather than any other dedicated controller, because I would rather invest in something like this, than any extra controller, want to make music more easier, so yeah, just the screen is the ideal playground for me in the end.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=514860
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

If that what the base wants ;)

Well, I'll keep Bitwig as an option especially if I can't sell my nektar P4 (as I can't buy Push in this case) :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”