Softwaresynth to emulate the Waldorf Q+?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish the Komplexer would be offered for sale again and of course in 64 bit. The Komplexer is what the Largo should have been and with Audioterm a great wavetable editor is ready.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

I played with both Largo and Komplexer yesterday a bit, inspired by this thread. :) They surely both have their golden sides. I prefer the overall sound of Komplexer a bit (as has been said, it also does quite a decent job at analog sounds), but, Largo is definitely a monster when it comes to pure wavetable sounds, and also makes it very easy and fun to experiment (the FM sounds absolutely great, and you can also morph through the wavetables more easily than on Komplexer). Switch on the bass boost, and it can get really huge, especially when you place a reverb behind. Also, the modulation sounds a bit more clean in Largo, they might have upped the modulation rate a bit on it.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm ^^^ everything chk says is correct to my experience. I knew all the Waldorf guys went for komplexer. I remember it was pretty buggy though, and intensive. I never bought into komplexer at the time because I was on Mac. Largo and the newer offerings are missing the grit and dynamics of the old boards though. The old boards had this lovely combination of sci fy plastic feel and analog dirt to them. Largo is about the most glassy thing I’ve ever heard. It’s a totally different sound.

Arcsyn has the look, architecture, and feel of the old Waldorf boards, and it makes the same sounds. It’s a time warp back to the micro q days. I’m hooked.

: Fixed spelling. I swear I’m about throw anything with a spellcheck attached to it right out of my car window!
Very old post, but I was looking at Waldorf MicroQ VSTs and I'm checking out the ArcSyn right now. I've never actually personally used a hw MicroQ, but it sounds pretty darn close to my ears. Regardless, it sounds fantastic and might be a keeper! thank you!

Wow, thanks for bringing up Komplexer. Seems like a million years ago since I tried it but I remember it as being one of the instruments that really made me start considering VSTs instead of only hardware synths.
Really wish I could try it again and compare it to Largo, which I also quite like. I did a rating video for Largo just a week or two ago, if you’re interested you can find it here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoxudVm07M
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

The Waldorf Q+ had an additional real analog filter besides the digital filter modes and none of the Waldorf plugins could replicate that analog filter but for the Waldorf Q and MicroQ Largo is the only software replacement that is still available.

FWIW as i alraedy mentioned in this thread the Q/Q+ and MicroQ were very limited concerning wavetables as they only contained 2 of them. Those are the "Alt 1" and "Alt 2" wavetables included with both the Largo softsynth and the Blofeld hardware synth.

Largo misses the PPG filter mode that was included in the Q while it is included in the Blofeld hardware synth (and my favorite LPF there...).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thankfully the Q is not about wavetables at all. It's just additional seasoning there. But it's a VA monster, that's for sure.

A quick reminder to the wonderful world of sound that is Waldorf Micro Q:
(demo by the incomparable Katsunori Ujiie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA_bY5_zkI

Micro Q was one of my favorite all time boards. Had both the rack and the keyboard. The keys on that keyboard were so fat and mushy and lovely. Like I said. arcsyn does a good job of capturing it IMO.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm I cut my teeth on Waldorf boards. Owned the Q and micro q and XTK. You will have to augment with a killer analog style filter plug to get to Q+ territory, but arcsyn is pretty much a cold stone dead ringer for the micro Q. In fact it’s starting to replace my blofeld.
Cheers for this post. Will check out ArcSyn this evening. Haven't got a new virtual instrument in a long time and if it's nailing the mico q sound, I will be into it.

Return to “Instruments”