Rent to own DAW: Studio One on Splice

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:12 am
blizzard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm Not sure why this is debated. This is just another option. You're not forced to take it. You can still pay full price, discounted price or find a bargain in 2nd market. I prefer such model than for example Adobe CC.
Agreed. There's a group here at KVR that usually jumps on a "rent-to-own" thread to bitch about and oppose it. :roll: I'm waiting for those people to slowly trickle into this thread.
I suppose some might consider me one of those people... I have no problem with the rent to own approach in and of itself... because of the own part. What I do have is antenna up to anything that is leading the industry towards subscription only (like Adobe).
this

And I keep my DAW machine online. What I am not into is needing it to be online for the thing to work, because connectivity could go down while I still have electricity. ;)

blizzard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm Not sure why this is debated. This is just another option. You're not forced to take it. You can still pay full price, discounted price or find a bargain in 2nd market. I prefer such model than for example Adobe CC.
Agreed. There's a group here at KVR that usually jumps on a "rent-to-own" thread to bitch about and oppose it. :roll: I'm waiting for those people to slowly trickle into this thread.
I suppose some might consider me one of those people... I have no problem with the rent to own approach in and of itself... because of the own part. What I do have is antenna up to anything that is leading the industry towards subscription only (like Adobe).
Understandable, pdx. If the market ever / as soon as it gets too close to a 'renting only' option, I'll have the same concerns as you.

Trancit wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm I think, it´s a great option... and worth to support...
I already rented to own Serum with Splice and had only good experience with that...

I didn´t own S1 before, but now I´m on board :)
Same here, I did the Serum rent-to-own option on Splice a while back and now I have the full version of Serum in my folder. I love having the option to do rent-to-win because I'm not sure I'd have purchased Serum otherwise :tu:

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 pm I like the concept of rent to own in general, including the Splice model. I'm currently renting to own Decimort. It's great.
I'd like to see more of this from music software companies that don't offer a lot of discounts in particular.
+1

Russell Grand wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 am
Trancit wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm I think, it´s a great option... and worth to support...
I already rented to own Serum with Splice and had only good experience with that...

I didn´t own S1 before, but now I´m on board :)
Same here, I did the Serum rent-to-own option on Splice a while back and now I have the full version of Serum in my folder. I love having the option to do rent-to-win because I'm not sure I'd have purchased Serum otherwise :tu:
+1

Would never have bought Serum if not for the Rent to Own, its $189 for 1 synth, compare that to the current Arturia deal!!!!!1111!!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

W23 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Not 100 percent sure about the Roland Cloud plan yet. They charge 20 bucks a month and then let you keep 1 plug-in at the end of the year.
Its still 'forthcoming', there is no evidence yet that anyone has been offered a 'keep'.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Is there an option if you are updating from 3?

If you don't have the cash on hand, rent-to-own is a good option I suppose. One thing to keep in mind is that sales with 50% off are almost guaranteed during those 24 months. Also, Studio One has a Crossgrade offer if you're coming from another DAW. So even though there's no "interest" as such, you can get it for much less if you look around and wait.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am If you don't have the cash on hand, rent-to-own is a good option I suppose. One thing to keep in mind is that sales with 50% off are almost guaranteed during those 24 months. Also, Studio One has a Crossgrade offer if you're coming from another DAW. So even though there's no "interest" as such, you can get it for much less if you look around and wait.
Exactly. I think Presonus did the math and they found out that the average price people get S1 for is much lower than regular, due to discounts, upgrades from free versions with hardware, cross-grades, 2nd hand sales, etc. With rent-to-own they get a full price, just spread over time which is not a biggie with current low (or even negative) interest rates.

If I was in the market for S1 I'd wait for next week and got it -50% off (or thereabouts) during Black Friday :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:26 pm If I was in the market for S1 I'd wait for next week and got it -50% off (or thereabouts) during Black Friday :)
Still, the possibility to RTO it made me download the demo.. Lot's of interesting features in it and if I become familiar with the DAW during this one month period, I think I'll take the deal..

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 pm Studio One Pro has a trial period of a month before it expires, and from there you have the free Prime version.
I think this is important for people to know. If you're going to Splice just to try it out, don't do it. Just get the trial.

Now, if you like it, and can't quite pay the full price, that's where I think Splice shines. Some people want to make payments and don't have good credit. Go for it then.

Okay I've made my mind.. Damn this is a good DAW. Lots of smart features and nice workflow. If I was looking for a new DAW I'd take this immediately but for now I'm happy with BWS and Reason.. Though maybe the biggest thing is that if I'd have never seen Reaper :P MAYBE I could replace reaper with Studio one.. Maybe.. Needs some more thinking but damn what a great DAW.

The whole "Rent to own" started because of this thread: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 05#p356605

jancivil wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 pm
this

And I keep my DAW machine online. What I am not into is needing it to be online for the thing to work, because connectivity could go down while I still have electricity. ;)
I once had my internet go down for a few days when I was renting Serum, no problems. You get up to 3 days before it has to check in again.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

deep'n'dark wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:27 pm The whole "Rent to own" started because of this thread: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 05#p356605
Hmmm, don`t know how I could start "Rent-to-own" my Serum way before that... Perhaps I am a time traveler :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”