Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChamomileShark wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 pm ah thanks!
I assume here is where he got it from.
Just in case you need to find it again.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm PS- The top menu bar still doesn't close for me when I shut Cubase 10, I have to close it twice :dog:
That's not a bug, I think... always found it weird a well, but, I think, with the first click, you close the project, and, with the second click, you close Cubase.
Control Q closes in one go

I use that for Quantise Menu.
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 10, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped).

Lots of nice little things on this release that I didn't see in the leaked documents last night that made it worth updating:

1. SOX Samplerate Conversion - Cubase's poor sample rate conversion is gone! Not sure why this isn't getting more attention. Maybe they don't want to admit it used to be bad.

2. Proper FX/Instrument Browser with drag and drop to add.

3. Small but nice little workflow improvements in some areas (add track process, color picker, side chaining, drag and drop instruments/fx).

4. ARA2 in Q1.

5. And of course Mixer Snapshots and Audio Align which will get some use here.

So, while I was thinking I'd skip this update last night, I decided to bite today.

More Great features to me...built in audio align (works like Vocal Align) mixer snapshots and Variaudio 3 drag notes to tune and align with midi. Anyone working with vocals, this is a great update.

I dont understand some of the comments I've read here.I've used it for 90 minutes and love it so far

AAF and edit mode for video are kind of biggies that people aren't discussing as well. If you edit video at all, you would want the update asap. Still no audio merge/export unfortunately. Maybe someday.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I haven't bought yet (going to, but figured I would let the servers slow a bit as I'm in no rush), but I must say this is an excellent update.

Most hosts these days are afraid to release major new versions without trying to create huge new features. I'll admit, there is not much in this release that is anything other than evolutionary. Nothing huge compared to some releases. But there are literally DOZENS of small little improvements that are designed to refine what is there.

I said it above, and I'll say it again. Cubase, while not perfect by any stretch, is very loaded with features already. They have innovated countless times, and the toolset includes things for years now that to this day can't be found in other hosts (not gonna argue if somebody disagrees, but it's true). The list of creativity features alone is super long, which is great for what I do.

But this release takes many features and makes them easier to use. Things like easier sidechaining, drag and drop plugins, contextual menus (finally!)......these aren't anything you won't find in a half dozen other hosts. But they are refinements to a host that already has nearly unmatched features. So Steinberg are seeing that they need to revisit features and improve on them. That seems to be an exception rather than the rule these days. How many hosts (ahem, like Sonar and Reaper.....) never go back to refine features? They keep moving on to appease users with big features. People complain all the time about unfinished features in one host or another, or lack of workflow improvements. The last few Cubase versions have had a boatload of these refinements, and this release is no different. Some might just see a new coat of paint, but to dismiss this release like that would be completely missing how big it really is.

But even then, with ARA support coming, improved Variaudio and audio alignment, etc., there are still some great actual features here. Cubase itself is already a very cohesive program for the most part, and I can see with each release how they are trying to make decisions to keep it that way and make it easier to use.

Yes, I'm gushing a bit about it. No, Cubase isn't perfect and isn't without some missing features. Sure, there are hosts that have things I would like to see in Cubase, or hosts that have a better workflow in some areas (I still absolutely love Studio One) But overall, for me personally, I haven't seen a host lately that is going in the direction Cubase is. And I like that direction. I guess that's why I still use it :-)

Brent
My host is better than your host

Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:31 am More Great features to me...built in audio align (works like Vocal Align) mixer snapshots and Variaudio 3 drag notes to tune and align with midi. Anyone working with vocals, this is a great update.

I dont understand some of the comments I've read here.I've used it for 90 minutes and love it so far
Those comments are just an excuse for them to deflect why they aren't producing music and/or succeeding. They need to blame something external...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

Overall an enjoyable experience / journey with 10, but I had a lot of crashes in getting there. Also had a weird bug where the menus turn white, without any text.

The new warmth plugin is lovely (Distroyer). Are there any demo projects with this release? The last one I found was from 8.5
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

This has been a fantastic update after playing with it all day.

Seems solid. No crashes or show stoppers. Some nice flow enhancements. Started a project from scratch to see how it would go. No real way to quantify improvements on time or workflow yet, but I enjoyed the building experience a bit more. When not needing to work from established large templates, it will be a breeze to get going...love that!

Paying a little something every year to have the latest, greatest version is fine by me as long as improvements continue to come with it. It is sometimes better to see what you can get out of it, instead of always looking at what you got into it.

Sorry if that is offtopic but did they fixed terrible windows handling on Win?

I used 8 and i remember many people reported same bug (google quickly provided me with this here https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 26&t=92243 ) - from what i know that was still issue in version 9.

Is that permanently fixed with 10?

I hoped for some new instruments, but this update is important. sooner or later all the gui, ux, ui changes had to happen. I always dislike the old plugins gui like "the tube". sure, it's not effecting on the sound, but for me it's important on psychological levels and mindset, that in the end effect on the overall workflow.

Audio align is super cool. can't wait to try it on lead guitars harmonies.

InLight-Tone wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 amThose comments are just an excuse for them to deflect why they aren't producing music and/or succeeding. They need to blame something external...
...or maybe professionals have been waiting 4 years for core functionality to be addressed, in vain. If you use a modular template, you've been stuffed for that long. Track Archives is broken; multichannel disabled tracks broken; Track Presets has crippled functionality. Case logged years ago, promises of fixes and still not fixed. We've been out of options this whole time.

Speaking of unfinished features, Mixer Snapshots is an excellent candidate. So many clever ideas and attention detail, all rendered moot the second you realise that it doesn't work with automation. Unless all your mixes are 100% static, the feature is useless. Another good reason why not everyone is wanting to launch fireworks and hug their neighbours.

BUT there is also good. VariAudio 3 and Auto Align most prominently, both look well worth the price of admission on their own. Improved multicore support, AAF import / export, better video handling, latency monitor - all very welcome, and even Groove Agent 5 SE looks improved enough to be well worth trying.

It looks like another deeply frustrating release to me, but almost certainly worth it in my case.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

SJ_Digriz wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am AAF and edit mode for video are kind of biggies that people aren't discussing as well. If you edit video at all, you would want the update asap. Still no audio merge/export unfortunately. Maybe someday.
Yes, I'll be getting it - though a bit disappointing after all this time, about no audio merge/export... However, I was cheered to read that this is actually being worked on now.!
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 96#p791796

Fingers crossed its soon
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v12.0.70; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v5.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

fese wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 pm Do I see that right that the new color picker doesn't display the names I've given the color anymore? That would suck badly...
That was initially annoying, but the name is there on mouse over.
Would be nice to have an option to view the old way.

To be honest though, as a band we have been using the same colour scheme for probably 10 years, so I know the colours I use now for drums (orange), bass (blue), guitars (green), synths (red), vocals (purple) etc by now.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”