One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 am @Saffran Welcome to OSC and let me explain my previous comment, it was not meant in direction of OSC or even electronic music beginners, like you...
It's cool.
I understood what you ment.
My introduction was something i had pondered about doing and had to get out of my system. Seemed the right time and place.

I have a bell sound i'm particularly proud of and a pretty decent piano although very low volume.
I think it's time to focus on the daw now. There's a danger in fiddling with patches and forget time. I haven't signed up for soundcloud yet and get to grip with that stuff.
:hug:

My Submission:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/when ... tchen-sink

Mission: The ultimate punch, Bass destruction and weird modular sounds
DAW: Bitwig
ModulAir: 23 Instances, most patches from scratch
Estimated FX usage:
~ 30 EQs, Compressors, many many Delays, many Reverbs.
~ 20 Bitwig "Tools"
~ 10 Bitwig Mid/Side and Multiband-Containers stuffed with other FX
Especially on Mix Buss: MSaturator, ThrillSeekerXTC, OTT, LoudMax
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm finding that the best strategy with this synth is to not get into the weeds with sound design - or else I will never finish a piece. It is so capable - of so much. Congratulations Bjorn -- fantastic synth! I'm just trying to quickly dial in sounds that kind of make sense and then hope to come back and tweak my sound design like crazy towards the end.

My usual strategy is to create a demo song first for any synth plug-in that I create.
I did not do so for ModulAir (yet)... you know why?
Because I suffer from the same problem like most of you guys (and most of the modular enthusiasts): I build patches and never stop... there could be more to it, more, MORE! AhahaHAHAHAHA!!!! :evil:
It requires a lot of self-control to actually finish a song... :ud:

Cheers, Björn

I agree @ontrackp I'm also working up patches which are close to what I want, get a tune done, and then refine those sounds, or replace them if the current one doesn't sit in the mix cohesively.

Not doing the Lindyhop tune this time round, I needed very convincing brass for this, and could not quite bend the synth to do it in a way which convinced me! Probably going for a more laid back improvised styled blues in 12/8 time.

dB

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/modul ... ip/s-2JrX3

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this now. Yeah, I'm using some presets that were put up here earlier on, but still. I'm managing to edit them to make them fit in more with the song. I kinda managed to make a semi decent kick too =w=
It's very tasty, I swear!

Looking for a decent starting point for a clap! Any tips please???

dB

doctorbob wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm Looking for a decent starting point for a clap! Any tips please???

dB
Here's a clap! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thanks Terje, with a bit of fine tuning it sounds quite good - now to sit it in the mix :dog:

dB

zerofox97 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/modul ... ip/s-2JrX3

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this now. Yeah, I'm using some presets that were put up here earlier on, but still. I'm managing to edit them to make them fit in more with the song. I kinda managed to make a semi decent kick too =w=
That kick is hugenormous! Sounds like it's gonna be a rockin' track. My experiments have slowly morphed to a fotf track, but nothing that good.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

doctorbob wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 pm Thanks Terje, with a bit of fine tuning it sounds quite good - now to sit it in the mix :dog:

dB
Excellent!

Yeah, for anyone else using this patch: Adjust the cutoff/reso on the two filters and the A and C resonators to get the brightness and the definition you want. Here's an instance of a brighter clap that I like:

Filter 1: Cutoff: 3300 / Reso: 0.28
Filter 2: Cutoff: 1860 / Reso: 0.57
Resonators: A: 875 / C: 1800

And, yes, that kick, zerofox! Did you get that with standard oscillators and sine generators, or did you use any wavetables at all?
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Zerofox, love your track!

schiing wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 pm And, yes, that kick, zerofox! Did you get that with standard oscillators and sine generators, or did you use any wavetables at all?
I just used one Noise and one Oscillator. Just a normal one. however I added a compressor, an OTT, and a transient processor to it before EQing out certain frequencies, mainly around 500 hz. the EQ is more of a taste/genre specific thing I think

[EDIT] Of course I used a dual envelope for the pitch of the kick and to quickly fade the noise. the main envelope also handles some volume duties, but so does me just using a somewhat short MIDI note to cut it shorter than the somewhat fiddly main envelope allows.
It's very tasty, I swear!

Ah, thanks. I asked - well, because you kick is awesome - plus I could never get a consistent signal from my kick on my first track. My second tune has a very soft kick, so I never got around to solving the problem. I'll try again, though! Thanks again. :)

Well, I feel like I'm finding my niche with ModulAir...kinda old school, kinda newish. Now to start chopping it up and mixing it up and see where else it takes me. As usual, I'm just along for the ride :D

*deleted wip
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Return to “Instruments”