Videos Relating To The DC18

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In this video, I am blindly testing the ProF.E.T. VST plugin by Ignite Amps. I think the plugin is designed for metal music. The music that I am trying to make is not metal music and so I just try to fit ProF.E.T. to my music.

Well, the problem is me. I keep trying to make this kind of plugin to sound like Jimmy Page's guitar sounds. But I can't seem to do it. I keep failing. I am no sound designer.

For this video I used the free Emissary amp sim which was also made by Ignite Amps. For VST instrument, I used the Les Paul guitar sim by chokehold and Kriminal. For impulse response loader, I used NadIR which was also made by Ignite Amps. The impulse response file that I chose to load into NadIR is one of many free ones that I have hoarded and is suppose to emulate a Marshall cabinet.

I saw that Jimmy Page mostly used Les Paul guitars and Marshall amplifiers and cabinets in the film "The Song Remains The Same". The guitar sounds in that film are the ones that I keep failing to duplicate. I keep looking for free Jimmy Page guitar presets to download but I can't seem to find any.

https://youtu.be/lkE-K8fc-MU
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

In early September, I started to test the Dead Duck Deducktion synth but gave up on it because it was overloading my computer's CPU. At first I waited to see if other testers would have the same problem but nobody reported it. So I thought it must just be my computer setup and/or my ancient DAW (REAPER 0.999) that is the problem..

I later found out (just yesterday) that the problem is the presets that I downloaded from somewhere in this forum. Most of those presets were set to "Polyphony 32". I simply changed all the presets's polyphony to "1" and saved all of them as a preset bank and that stopped the CPU overload.

It's great that someone made presets for Dead Duck Deducktion. Thanks very much for that because without those presets, my video of my testing would have been different, and probably not in a good way.

https://youtu.be/Y6C6Dc5uiqI

In this video, I am testing the T.Rex 1982 drum machine. I only tested the kick, the snare, and the hi-hat. I only really use just those three drum sounds in my music creation, most of the time.

Yes, I think I can find some use for this plugin. It's got built-in reverb and filter. And each drum sound's volume level is individually adjustable, and the panning is too. What more can I ask for a drum machine? Thanks very much to the developer.

https://youtu.be/8ktTUbR-zpg

The Gogodze Phu Vol II drum kit sounds great. No problem here. I'm keeping it for future use. The extra controls of the Sforzando sfz player is great too. Thank you for that, Plogue. And thank you Karoryfer, for the acoustic drum kit.

https://youtu.be/8laLLo-h-N0

This video is test #24 of 26 DC18 entries. It's my last one.
The two entries that I couldn't/didn't test were "Mono Repeater" and "UNO Synth Editor".
I'm one and a quarter months behind schedule.

Actually, my last test video will be the nix shifter. That one isn't a DC18 entry.
I'm not sure what DC year that one was entered in and I don't remember testing that one.
So I might as well test it. I want to. I'm curious.

Anyways, the Sounds Of Life soundware was fun to test. To do it, I first did had to find WAV player VST plugins. I found a handful of them in my freeware archive. I settled on something called SamSolo! for the drum parts and another one called EZ - SAMPLER for the melody part.

These are the four files from the Sounds Of Life soundware that I used:
Melody = phone_ring_01_edit.wav
Kick = ssfxY.wav
Snare = lsfxR.wav
Hi-hat = bicycle_ring_02_edit.wav

There are 588 other .wav files in the Sounds Of Life soundware that I could use for making music and so I am going to keep all of them in my hard drive for future use. Thank you Ocean Swift Synthesis for all the .wav files.

https://youtu.be/l_riH7LY9J8

It is fun to watch your videos! :)
harryupbabble wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 am Actually, my last test video will be the nix shifter. That one isn't a DC18 entry.
I'm not sure what DC year that one was entered in and I don't remember testing that one.
So I might as well test it. I want to. I'm curious.
If I remember correctly, in the DC2012 the developer of nix shifter presented
his "OctaveDown". In the thread-talks of DC2012, about "OctaveDown" and
pitch shifters in general, the developer, Nick Johnston, released his "nix shifter".

And this one was the "bang" :hyper: :

For some types of vocals or even synth-sounds it worked marvellously good -
like no pitcher before. And it is well endowed with 3 bands - each with its
own equalizer.

This year - just now in november - Nick Johnston revived his "nix shifter".
It's a 64-bit or 32-bit VST-plugin with resizalbe GUI and many many
improvements. He calls it "Shiftah" (see the "nix shifter" thread in this forum).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Harry: I am also very curious about what you do with it!
:D :D :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:16 pm If I remember correctly, in the DC2012 the developer of nix shifter presented
his "OctaveDown". In the thread-talks of DC2012, about "OctaveDown" and
pitch shifters in general, the developer, Nick Johnston, released his "nix shifter".

And Harry: I am also very curious about what you do with it!
:D :D :D
Oh yes, I remember the OctaveDown entry now. It made the electric guitar sound like a bass guitar. So that's Shiftah now? That's a lot of evolution. Nix808 been busy.

Curious? Hah! My videos should be predictable by now. Drum, bass, chord, melody.

I don't know what I'm doing. Rcrath makes better videos. He seems to know the inner workings of VST plugins. Not me. I'm just twisting and dragging knobs and sliders all over the place.

Hey Enroe, you should make videos too, if you want and if you have time. The more video makers, the better? Diversity. Amateur. Professional. All kinds. I'm curious how your Shiftah video might be, if you made that, I mean.

Shiftah. Interesting plugin. Fun. I'm going to keep it. I'm going to use it on other instruments, not just voice. Thanks very much to nix808 for this great tool for music-making. And also thanks Enroe for the recommendation of Shiftah.

Anyways, in this video, the voice started out as "Be Careful". It became something else near the 3 minute mark. That's when I got the giggles and was struggling to continue with the testing of the Shiftah VST plugin. I couldn't help it. One of the three voices was really comical. He kept saying" Mootata" in a funny way.

That's pretty amazing for a plugin to do that. From "Be careful" to "Mootata". Morph power right there?

But I have few things to report:

1. When resizing the GUI from large to small, the large GUI remains and in effect there are two GUIs, one large and one small. My ancient DAW (REAPER 0.9999) might be to blame. I don't know for sure. It's strange because there is no problem resizing Shiftah's GUI from small to large.

2. When adjusting the octave knobs, it takes too much dragging of the mouse.

3. When adjusting some of the semitone knobs, the values sometimes have decimals. Is that suppose to happen?

Okay so, that's it for me in terms of testing VST plugins till the next Developer Challenge. That's the plan anyway. I hope KVR does host another one in a year or two. It's always fun testing all that gifts and goodies... all that music-making tools. It's like opening boxes of presents in late December.

Ooops, I almost forgot. The "Be careful" voice file came from the soundware "Sounds Of Life", it's a DC18 entry.

https://youtu.be/CEzXH0cMV04

harryupbabble wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 am Anyways, in this video, the voice started out as "Be Careful". It became something else near the 3 minute mark. That's when I got the giggles and was struggling to continue with the testing of the Shiftah VST plugin. I couldn't help it. One of the three voices was really comical. He kept saying" Mootata" in a funny way.

That's pretty amazing for a plugin to do that. From "Be careful" to "Mootata". Morph power right there?

https://youtu.be/CEzXH0cMV04
Haha, yeaaahh ... nice video! :hyper:

In your video I feel surrounded by different aliens: There are the
Reptilians and the Insectoids - all saying "be careful". And then
suddenly you added the Aquarians to all that. 8)

You've done a very inspiring video! It shows what this "Shiftah"
can do - and it's a motivation for mmore experimentation and more
creations of different aliens (or the voices of aliens)!

Thanks a lot! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Seven Minutes with BUSTAH

https://youtu.be/f6Pn5DCz7WU
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”