Acon Digital Verberate - New realistic algorithmic reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Verberate

edit: I just checked out a few other reverbs and this behaviour (see below) apparently is completely normal. It's obvious that I know jack shit... :help: :oops:

The ER module seems just extremely weird to me - I would think it's buggy as hell, but perhaps I just don't get it - send a sine wave through Verberate, switch off direct, set late to 0dB and early to +18dB and look at Verberate's output on a stereo-meter and then set Verberate e.g. to these room-size values: 60 - 60,1 - 60,2 - 60,3 - 60,4 and switch through the different ER algos...

what is going on there? I mean: it's not random, but it also doesn't seem to be systematic in any way - it seems chaotic, extreme and arbitrary.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hi Jens!
jens wrote:edit: I just checked out a few other reverbs and this behaviour (see below) apparently is completely normal. It's obvious that I know jack shit... :help: :oops:

The ER module seems just extremely weird to me - I would think it's buggy as hell, but perhaps I just don't get it - send a sine wave through Verberate, switch off direct, set late to 0dB and early to +18dB and look at Verberate's output on a stereo-meter and then set Verberate e.g. to these room-size values: 60 - 60,1 - 60,2 - 60,3 - 60,4 and switch through the different ER algos...

what is going on there? I mean: it's not random, but it also doesn't seem to be systematic in any way - it seems chaotic, extreme and arbitrary.
Yes, that's indeed all expected behaviour. The early reflections will cause resonances and the distribution of these in the frequency domain is dependent on the room size.

Best,
Stian

Hi!
trmupstage wrote:I picked up Verberate a few weeks ago and I have to say I had the same thoughts. The ER choices made very little difference to the sound. There does seem to be ways to tweak it to make the ER more audible but with the stock presets, ER doesn't make a whole lot of difference on the various choices. I was expecting that if I muted the reverb and just listened to the ER that each selection would amount to a huge difference. It doesn't until I turn the room size up to 50% or higher. Then I can start to hear the differences.
Yes, the differences are more pronounced with larger room sizes. The ERs are designed to minimize any colouring of the signal so they all share some common properties. They are very different in the time domain, though.

Best,
Stian

Thanks for the explanation Stian. That's helpful to know.

I've owned Verberate a couple months and thank ACON for making it. I've never heard dimension like that in any of my reverb plugins, among five other serious reverbs.
While I haven't fully aclimated to this plugin to be able to know what it will sound like, I'm amazed near evrytime, that when this works, it works like no other.
So it's not out of need I'm asking how the new algos are coming along; I'm just passing the time and wondering out loud. :D

Hi!
Acesys wrote:I've owned Verberate a couple months and thank ACON for making it. I've never heard dimension like that in any of my reverb plugins, among five other serious reverbs.
While I haven't fully aclimated to this plugin to be able to know what it will sound like, I'm amazed near evrytime, that when this works, it works like no other.
So it's not out of need I'm asking how the new algos are coming along; I'm just passing the time and wondering out loud. :D
Thank you very much, it's great to hear that you like Verberate. The intention was to release an update much sooner, but Acoustica 7 has kept us very busy lately. However, we're working hard on our range of plug-ins again now, along with Acoustica improvements. We're in the process of improving our framework to streamline future updates and we'll be releasing updates for all our current plug-ins as they get ready.

Best,
Stian

Still love Verberate! Can't wait for the update, will more than likely buy it soon as it's released!
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

sounddesigner wrote:Still love Verberate! Can't wait for the update, will more than likely buy it soon as it's released!
Thanks so much -- that's very motivating! :)

Best,
Stian

Verberate is amazing! When I add it to tracks/busses, and even whole mixes, it adds depth, shine, and color that makes everything sound better. Thank you, Stian!

laggy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 pm Verberate is amazing! When I add it to tracks/busses, and even whole mixes, it adds depth, shine, and color that makes everything sound better. Thank you, Stian!
Thank you very much -- I'm very glad to hear that!

Best,
Stian

I tried the demo of Verberate today rather extensively. I'm impressed by its quality and realism. It's certainly one of the most realistic reverbs I have ever tried and it's amazing how unobtrusive and natural it sounds. Very, very well! I really hope to be able to buy it as soon as possible. I'm becoming more and more a fan of Acon Digital. :wink:

XComposer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm I tried the demo of Verberate today rather extensively. I'm impressed by its quality and realism. It's certainly one of the most realistic reverbs I have ever tried and it's amazing how unobtrusive and natural it sounds. Very, very well! I really hope to be able to buy it as soon as possible. I'm becoming more and more a fan of Acon Digital. :wink:
Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear that you like Verberate as well. Please send me a PM if you have several Acon Digital plug-ins already and want to purchase Verberate as well. Maybe there are cheaper ways than purchasing the full license.

Best,
Stian

stian wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm Hi Jens,
jens wrote:While I think Verberate sounds quite nice and convincing, I am really puzzled by the extremely low output gain of the ER - even at +18dB (and dry @unity) it's barely audible and for the life of me I could not tell a difference between the different modes/algos... what do I not get?
The ER level is a post fader and dependent on the reverb level. You can solo the ERs by disabling the dry and late reverb signal using the check boxes to the right of the text entry fields.

Best,
Stian
Hi Stian, I generally use Verberate as a Send effect with Dry signal off and Reverb level locked. By doing so, am I hearing presets with the Early to Reverb ratio intended by the patch creator? Reading your reply above, I feel like the answer is "yes," but I want to be sure. This is the one aspect of Verberate's operation I find less than intuitive...I generally prefer plugins with a single Early/Late balance control for this reason. Thanks!

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 pm
stian wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm Hi Jens,
jens wrote:While I think Verberate sounds quite nice and convincing, I am really puzzled by the extremely low output gain of the ER - even at +18dB (and dry @unity) it's barely audible and for the life of me I could not tell a difference between the different modes/algos... what do I not get?
The ER level is a post fader and dependent on the reverb level. You can solo the ERs by disabling the dry and late reverb signal using the check boxes to the right of the text entry fields.

Best,
Stian
Hi Stian, I generally use Verberate as a Send effect with Dry signal off and Reverb level locked. By doing so, am I hearing presets with the Early to Reverb ratio intended by the patch creator? Reading your reply above, I feel like the answer is "yes," but I want to be sure. This is the one aspect of Verberate's operation I find less than intuitive...I generally prefer plugins with a single Early/Late balance control for this reason. Thanks!
The ER level is a hassle to deal with in presets. It’s the only but big gripe that i have with Verberate, i ended up re-saving all my presets with dry level off and reverb level on, so i can hear the presets with intended LR/ER ratios..

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 pm Hi Stian, I generally use Verberate as a Send effect with Dry signal off and Reverb level locked. By doing so, am I hearing presets with the Early to Reverb ratio intended by the patch creator? Reading your reply above, I feel like the answer is "yes," but I want to be sure. This is the one aspect of Verberate's operation I find less than intuitive...I generally prefer plugins with a single Early/Late balance control for this reason. Thanks!
Yes, that's right. The dry signal toggle doesn't affect the early reflections level and you hear the presets as intended. An early / late balance control could maybe be more intuitive than the current approach. I'll consider that.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Effects”