Hive update plan

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm fine with v1.2 this year. But I'd really love it if it'd have those XYs already in there (even without NKS)!

^ Now this I wholeheartedly agree with!

If it's possible to get that XY Matrix wrapped up, that would be awesomesauce!

Yes, I think these are pretty much ready to go. There are a few open tickets, but I guess they'll be tackled by then.

ZeePok wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:08 pmUrs, please could you indicate: upgrade 2.0 lower/higher than €30,- ?
I see it in the lower than category.

Nothing is set in stone, we only just had a meeting in which an alternate time line promised a better outcome for Hive :clown:

Urs wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 am
ZeePok wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:08 pmUrs, please could you indicate: upgrade 2.0 lower/higher than €30,- ?
I see it in the lower than category.

Nothing is set in stone, we only just had a meeting in which an alternate time line promised a better outcome for a Hive :clown:
That’s the most Borg thing you ever said 😁
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

hehehe, yeah, there was an 'a' too many :borg:

What would the extra features be in hive2

surreal wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 am What would the extra features be in hive2
More ways to shape sound over time. The wavetable engine is begging for that. We have looked at the ways this is done in some other popular synths. We found that each have their particular strengths and weaknesses. Each promote certain types of movements and articulations. Each require so and so much mousing to achieve certain goals. Each use up so and so much screen estate. Each can do some movements the another can't do and vice versa.

I want to experiment with a couple of ideas I've been carrying around for some time. Hive was always about achieving more with less. The concepts I want to try are pretty much in alignment with that. It's a larger concept than "hey, look at how it's done in X". The recently introduced modifiers in the Modmatrix play a part in this. It's about getting a lot more milage out of a lot fewer mouse clicks.

tl;dr More LFOs with a bit of joy from the West Coast.

Urs,
I haven't tried the Hive wave-table thing yet, but your plan sounds good and reasonable to me!
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

That sounds good Urs

At the moment the wavetable functionality works nicely but doesn't look well integrated into the Hive GUI - the whole thing looks (and is) bolted on the top. Would like to see the wavetable editor integrated into the Hexagon and the visualisations more prominently displayed and the buttons to open it better integrated into the OSC section than they currently are.

Don't worry about that. It's crude right now because it's a beta...

i may be the only one, but i'm fine waiting into next year for the complete package than what sounds like a 'version' of the final idea introduced early. There are a lot of wavetable synths floating around, and tracking the development conversation here, it really sounds like Hive isn't going to be 'just another synth that has some wavetables', but a totally different animal. i think that warrants time and a big release with everything set where it should be, and from which further development can solidly build from.

i love Hive, and love this idea (it might push Hive into being the only synth i use) but would really like to see it implemented fully, with a great library showcasing what it can do so that it can really stand firmly in its own domain. i hate using things and thinking 'well, i like it now, but in another year it's really going to be something!' i think it's worth making that whole package of functionality a paid update. i can definitely see how a 'sneak-peak' approach might entice users to the paid 2.0, though, since Hive has been a bit of a sleeper.

Updating the preset browser would be great this year, though. Anyway, just my thoughts.

No worries. Both current skins will be updated to integrate the wavetable selection into the central hexagon. It won't be clunky.

Urs wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 pm
surreal wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 am What would the extra features be in hive2
More ways to shape sound over time. The wavetable engine is begging for that. We have looked at the ways this is done in some other popular synths. We found that each have their particular strengths and weaknesses. Each promote certain types of movements and articulations. Each require so and so much mousing to achieve certain goals. Each use up so and so much screen estate. Each can do some movements the another can't do and vice versa.

I want to experiment with a couple of ideas I've been carrying around for some time. Hive was always about achieving more with less. The concepts I want to try are pretty much in alignment with that. It's a larger concept than "hey, look at how it's done in X". The recently introduced modifiers in the Modmatrix play a part in this. It's about getting a lot more milage out of a lot fewer mouse clicks.

tl;dr More LFOs with a bit of joy from the West Coast.
Yes, release the osciallator+filter section (including .uhm scripting) as a Bitwig device and let the user do modulations through Bitwig's internal modulators. :P :wink:

Return to “u-he”