Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

imrae wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 am
lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am This plugin is about building your own effects and in a way that is just about impossible to do with discrete effects. When you talk about 'switching between effects' that suggests to me that you are using BYOME as a means of simply chaining effects. Yes you can do that, but you can do so much more if you really experiment with the modulation
I'm confused by this. BYOME's audio path is several effects blocks in series, right? And those effects only have modulation inputs, not outputs, right? Then any BYOME patch could be replaced with a series of BYOME patches, each containing a single effect block and the relevant set of modulators. And some of those instances might be replaced by other plugins with comparably rich modulation systems (e.g. Sandman Pro, Quadrant, ...)

What am I missing? Where is the "just about impossible" and the "so much more"?
If I create a complex modulation source - say any combination of simple LFOs, a random source, and a spectral follower, then how can I reuse that modulation source with another parameter in another plugin?

I could then use that signal in the automation of the mix knob of the blocks to switch between two 'separate' audio paths through BYOME or morph the sound anywhere between them.

Doing these sorts of things with discrete plugins requires a sophisticated modulation plugin (and I don't know of any dedicated modulation plugins that approach BYOME for range of tools), doing it in MAX or somesuch, and then effects chains. Fiddly to set up and very probably going to use more CPU.

The other UA tools don't have the more sophisticated modulation tools (though these may be backported in future ?). Quadrant has a rich modulation system but I always found it painful to use, it is more limited in terms of slots and it definitely doesn't sound as good to my ears.

lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 am Quadrant has a rich modulation system but I always found it painful to use, it is more limited in terms of slots and it definitely doesn't sound as good to my ears.
I am glad you brought up Quadrant because that was exactly what I was going to do :p

Although I agree that when we talk about sound quality Quadrant doesn't touch BYOME, but Quadrant does have more flexible routing. BYOME to me feels like a guitar pedal board where you are only allowed to place patch cables from the left to the right. Aside from modulation (and you could arguably use automation clips and modulate more parameters with stand alone plug-ins, although yes that is more off a pain) it really isn't that different than loading in a few FX on one track right? It is a linear signal chain?
perfumer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 am UI improvements, host automation, audio and CV routing, more modules - from the same developer, which gives you consistent quality. Think of its current state as a starting point.
This is compelling. Did UA commit to expanding BYOME?
tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 am You mention Glitchmachines, so it should become obvious! Usability. At least for me.
I think there has been enough Glitch bashing right? ;) Granted I have never used their plugins in anything yet, but I find them fun to play with every so often (and they are VERY cheap on plugin boutique half the time :P).
lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am Yes you can do that, but you can do so much more if you really experiment with the modulation (and this will take some time to really click if you don't have a lot of experience with hardware or software modulars - longer than a week :().
I guess it is deep enough that you can't learn it overnight, that is very much true. But I do like to have a bit of a scope of what it can do and what it does before committing to buying something. Would be a shame if it was just another plug-in in the list ;)

ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 am
perfumer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 am UI improvements, host automation, audio and CV routing, more modules - from the same developer, which gives you consistent quality. Think of its current state as a starting point.
This is compelling. Did UA commit to expanding BYOME?
It has 'modular' in its name. Modular is expandable - by definition. And leaving it without features essential to modular - e.g. audio routing - would they do that, you think?! :roll:

I think it is a legit question, what are their plans in expanding this thing?

The resonator bank is asking heavily for music theory. Please allow setting musical scales, e.g. if I define F melodic minor, all 4 notes should be in that scale and quantize. Hyakken from HY-Plugins makes use of this in his sequencers. And in a way, the resonator bank is a sequencer. It turns out to be fun to create melodies with this one via S+H/Chaos.

perfumer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 am It has 'modular' in its name. Modular is expandable - by definition. And leaving it without features essential to modular - e.g. audio routing - would they do that, you think?! :roll:
I've seen weirder things happen :lol:

If all that is still planned I wonder why they release it as is and why it is not mentioned anywhere. As much as I love Unflitered Audio for Sandman Pro I am not sure I feel appealed to commit to something that is implied by the name ;)

Another question would be "modular at what price"?
Pay per module micro transactions? Expansion packs?

ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 am
lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am Yes you can do that, but you can do so much more if you really experiment with the modulation (and this will take some time to really click if you don't have a lot of experience with hardware or software modulars - longer than a week :().
I guess it is deep enough that you can't learn it overnight, that is very much true. But I do like to have a bit of a scope of what it can do and what it does before committing to buying something. Would be a shame if it was just another plug-in in the list ;)
I recommend deleting your account and abandoning this place forthwith; it exists solely to fuel the GAS of plugin collectors :wink: :lol:

ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 amI do like to have a bit of a scope of what it can do and what it does before committing to buying something.
I find it impossible to get a scope of audio software by reading about it, it really needs interaction to see if it clicks.
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 pm
perfumer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 am It has 'modular' in its name. Modular is expandable - by definition. And leaving it without features essential to modular - e.g. audio routing - would they do that, you think?! :roll:
I've seen weirder things happen :lol:

If all that is still planned I wonder why they release it as is and why it is not mentioned anywhere. As much as I love Unflitered Audio for Sandman Pro I am not sure I feel appealed to commit to something that is implied by the name ;)

Another question would be "modular at what price"?
Pay per module micro transactions? Expansion packs?
It's a small team, they can't do everything at once. Sandman Pro got now delay types, didn't it? Dent went from 1 to 2. The new interface that is in BYOME will remain only for it, or spread to other plugins as well?

What few impressions I have of this team, is that they build on their work - consistently. Reaktor modules, VCV modules,... BYOME modules.

Should also point out that Dent 2 was a free upgrade from v1.

Unfiltered seem like they are really into the creativity of plugin design, so far everything has been quite unique. TheLizard has been a member of this forum for ages too so hopefully he'll be around to respond to some of the frequent requests here at some point.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:54 am I think it is a legit question, what are their plans in expanding this thing?

The resonator bank is asking heavily for music theory. Please allow setting musical scales, e.g. if I define F melodic minor, all 4 notes should be in that scale and quantize. Hyakken from HY-Plugins makes use of this in his sequencers. And in a way, the resonator bank is a sequencer. It turns out to be fun to create melodies with this one via S+H/Chaos.
Exactly! I was hoping that the BYOME Resonator could replace the Ableton one but it is lacking this one key feature.

I must admit that the sound quality of BYOME is excellent, apart from my expectations of the Resonator (which is to say it doesng sound bad, just not what I was expecting).

lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm I recommend deleting your account and abandoning this place forthwith; it exists solely to fuel the GAS of plugin collectors :wink: :lol:
Oh shit this is Gearslutz all over again :D :lol:
perfumer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:40 pm What few impressions I have of this team, is that they build on their work - consistently. Reaktor modules, VCV modules,... BYOME modules.
I didn't notice an update to Sandman but will check it out. Good to know that they are a team that consistently works on stuff like this and is involved with the community. That is the sort off stuff I like to hear =)
Michael L wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:33 pm I find it impossible to get a scope of audio software by reading about it, it really needs interaction to see if it clicks.
Absolutely that is why I downloaded the trail and I am playing with it. It is just that I felt like I was missing something in how it works. Hence me trying to obtain some extra insight.

ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pmAbsolutely that is why I downloaded the trail and I am playing with it. It is just that I felt like I was missing something in how it works. Hence me trying to obtain some extra insight.
The big added advantage of Byome vs. "ye average plugin chain" (for lack of a better term) comes in the modulation and macro controls. Apparently a DAW like Bitwig can already do quite a lot when it comes to modulating third-party VST plugins (haven't used Bitwig so can't comment), but setting up LFO's and/or Macros to control a plugin chain would be cumbersome in Cubase and [to a slightly lesser extent] Studio One. It's quite easy to set these up in Byome, and beyond traditional LFO's, you can use things like an input follower as a source for modulating effect parameters. Depending on your DAW, that could really start to get complex. So Byome's really about easily patching things into each other that many DAW's, and/or traditional plugin chainers might make complicated. If you get that, then you're not missing anything. If you haven't experimented with doing weird modulations, give it a shot before writing off Byome.

It's not perfect. For instance, it doesn't do everything Patchwork is capable of (parallel paths, signal splitting, third party plugins), but Patchwork doesn't do the things Byome does as well (modulations). It's just another tool in the ole toolshed.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 pm
ThaTyger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pmAbsolutely that is why I downloaded the trail and I am playing with it. It is just that I felt like I was missing something in how it works. Hence me trying to obtain some extra insight.
The big added advantage of Byome vs. "ye average plugin chain" (for lack of a better term) comes in the modulation and macro controls. Apparently a DAW like Bitwig can already do quite a lot when it comes to modulating third-party VST plugins (haven't used Bitwig so can't comment), but setting up LFO's and/or Macros to control a plugin chain would be cumbersome in Cubase and [to a slightly lesser extent] Studio One. It's quite easy to set these up in Byome, and beyond traditional LFO's, you can use things like an input follower as a source for modulating effect parameters. Depending on your DAW, that could really start to get complex. So Byome's really about easily patching things into each other that many DAW's, and/or traditional plugin chainers might make complicated. If you get that, then you're not missing anything. If you haven't experimented with doing weird modulations, give it a shot before writing off Byome.

It's not perfect. For instance, it doesn't do everything Patchwork is capable of (parallel paths, signal splitting, third party plugins), but Patchwork doesn't do the things Byome does as well (modulations). It's just another tool in the ole toolshed.
Yeah, I was actually thinking of Ableton Live Suite with Max4L and Bitwig. I would think that you can do almost everything of BYOME in those. But even so, the effects on BYOME, like the reverbs, are outstanding.

Hi everyone! Sorry that communication has been slow. BYOME has been our biggest release yet (thank you!), so we've been busy on the tech support side.

Josh was able to fully squash all of the GUI performance issues. We are sending in new builds to Plugin Alliance today. These only fix the visual bugs along with a few crashes (no new features yet!), so hopefully they'll go through QA quickly.

Further detail: We had some runaway drawing calls that were being updated every frame, causing quite the rendering bottleneck when multiple windows were open, or if our interface was open with something else using a similar rendering pipeline. I ran into the issue really badly a few nights ago while using BYOME with an M4L sequencer. After Josh's patch frenzy, I had zero performance issues with the same project, and this is running with the much slower debug build.

On a separate test, we've been able to figure out a good method for scaling a plugin at various aspect ratios, so we plan on adding a "wide mode" to BYOME so that more things are visible at once. That won't be in this bug fix build, as it will require significantly more testing before we send it out.

We are looking into expanding the number of available macros. We are working on a good visual design to make this work. What we're thinking:
1) Fewer macros will be visible initially when entering the programming mode.
2) After a macro is connected, a new macro will become visible.

:tu:

Return to “Effects”