Does anyone feel his music's dated?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my music has never dated, although it has been asked.

recursive one wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm
deep'n'dark wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm I feel it about my own work. I dunno, am I getting old? I'm 38.
I do, my prefered sound-design and production aesthetics are like 10-15 years old. I used to be bothered about that but now I don't care and just do what I like.

I'm 37 and I'm definitely getting old.
Your age/music/what ever is determined by amount of "give-a-f**ks". I don't give-a-f**k so.. I don't know.. I just don't :lol:

My music isn't anything special (yet), but if I'm granted with a lifespan long enough, I'll be making music when I'm near 100. Sooooo if I live to a 100 years old, I still have 67 years to become good enough. Never stop learning :tu:

(I won't be old then either and my girlfriend will still be 20 something 8) )

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:58 pm.

Genre = Death metal
:band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8u1IpUPo-A
https://youtu.be/OADwd5gOpCE

I was so hoping he was gonna play wont you come home bill bailey in death metal
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:58 pm.

Genre = Death metal
:band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8u1IpUPo-A
https://youtu.be/OADwd5gOpCE
:D

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:36 pm my music has never dated, although it has been asked.
Mine doesn't get asked, it gets grabbed, bound, thrown in a trunk and taken to a dungeon for a long gang-f**king.

Ok, I hope that makes my next statement seem less precious: I think of what I do as 21st century music. Even when it isn't.

& I'm a lot older than the people who think they're old up in here.

I still use ideas about making music that I came up with 40 years ago - yet I don't think of my music as dated at all. Some would though

I don't really think of music in those ways - I tend to more think that we now have a repertoire of modern music that goes back more than a hundred years. If I heard someone singing something new that was like The Crystals "Then he kissed me" I'd just think it was from that tradition not that it was dated - and that is different to liking or not liking it

The good thing about making dated music is that there are many potential customers. For instance when you are baby boomer still making the music you liked as a young person, you have a giant audience out there, people who keep making comments on old YT videos, saying how great the music was back then, asking why music like that is no longer made, etc.

deep'n'dark wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm I feel it about my own work. I dunno, am I getting old? I'm 38.
I don't - and I am certainly getting old - I'm 61...
Maybe you should always try to make music independent of any fashion, or just the contrary make it unique...
Music is music, if its not it will become dated...
But maybe you're just a little confused and have a lack of self confidence...
Let the listener decide...
I tend to be over critical as well...

deep'n'dark wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 pm I am really tired of my life atm.
:hug: I feel your pain. Hang in there. I agree, a break might be good to give you a fresh perspective.

What always helps me, is to play music with others... Or just listen with others to get some inspiration. Listen to the weird stuff, look for surprise...

My music was (out-)dated from the first track I made. ;)

I mean with a little bit of effort I could make all that chillstep/latin tropical house/mumbathon/trap or whatever is the hottest shit right now, but: I don't want to.

Yes, but in a strictly personal sense. I feel I've come a long way in the past 6 years that I've made music, and my early material doesn't accurately represent me anymore.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:51 pm Yes, but in a strictly personal sense. I feel I've come a long way in the past 6 years that I've made music, and my early material doesn't accurately represent me anymore.
We are made out of our own history. There is no way that your early works represent what you are now, they are a small part of something bigger... But looked at in context, it is at least interesting...
There ain't no such thing as a work without its context...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”