MIDI Controller Recommendation

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking to replace my Akai MPK88 with something a bit smaller & lighter, while still being full featured. Looking at getting an Output Platform desk, which has limits to weight & size for the controller that goes underneath.

Right now, the two frontrunners I've come across are an Arturia KeyLab 88, or a Nektar Impact LX88+. I heard some (likely hypothetical/hopeful) rumblings that there was a MkII version of the KeyLab 88 in the works, but I can't get any confirmation on that as of yet.

Anyone else have some recommendations? I am a classically trained pianist, but having the super nice weighted keys isn't an absolute must for me, as I also have a baby grand in the house. Just looking for something to have for my setup for recording/playing synthy stuff on; to that end, I would PROBABLY also be ok with 61 key controllers as well.

Roland A88, or the RD64.

Maybe even a digital piano as the Casio PX160.
dedication to flying

Can the Casio work as a MIDI controller as well? I'll have to look into the Roland.

Studiologic SL88
(Grand or Studio)
BTW, your Akai has after-touch. So does the Arturia. As does Studiologic. But the other ones mentioned so far, do not. Even if you don't use it, the build to support it generally makes it more robust.

BBFG# wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 pm Studiologic SL88
(Grand or Studio)
BTW, your Akai has after-touch. So does the Arturia. As does Studiologic. But the other ones mentioned so far, do not. Even if you don't use it, the build to support it generally makes it more robust.
Yeah I definitely think a board w/ Aftertouch is the way to go. I love the Akai, it's just too bulky & heavy to fit on the keyboard tray of the Platform.

I'll check out the SL88. Thanks!

The new novations look pretty sweet if you are ok with 61 semi-weighted terrible feeling keybed. I have the Arturia 61 MK2, and it has a much better keybed now. I also would like a fully weighted 88 like the NI ones, but I don't like the NI approach to KK or how it does MIDI mode. Novation and Arturia are much better from a "MIDI controller keyboard" perspective. If novation made an 88 with a decent weighted keybed, that's the one I'd want. An updated Arturia 88 MKII would be next.

EDIT: I should have qualified my comment on the Novation keybeds. I haven't played one of the new ones. I'm going on past experience. Maybe they did something about their crappy keys.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I have an SL88 Studio has decent features for my taste and is not difficult to play. Not very heavy or big. They make an SL73 same features fewer keys probably a pound or two lighter. I think the SL88 Grand weighs more, but same size and features. Weight difference surely solely depends on the different keyboard mechanism.

It felt a little "odd" for the first day or two but I quickly got used to it. The feel of the "fake hammers" toggling under the fingers at first felt exaggerated but either the keyboard "loosened up" quickly or I just got used to it and don't notice any more.

The basic keyboard mechanism in the SL88 Studio may be the same Fatar action as in the Akai. I didn't look it up to verify, just something that I think I recall reading in the past. Its also the same basic action in the NI S88 as I recall, and some of the Kurzweils and Nords. The actions can be somewhat customized to OEM specs so a Nord, Kurzweil or NI might not feel or respond "exactly the same" even if the basic action model number might be the same.

That TP/100LR action could surely accomodate either a dual or triple sensor keyswitch board. Maybe not all TP100's use triple sensor. The triple sensor in the SL88 looks about the same as any other older dual-sensor keyswitch circuit board. Little silicone rubber "nipples" with little discs of black conductive plastic inside. On dual-sensor, there are two switch contact locations on the circuit board and two little pieces of conductive plastic to make the connections. One little conductive plastic dot is a little higher than the other dot so that they don't make contact at the same time, and velocity can be calculated by the time-difference between the switch closures.

I looked inside my SL88 and the rubber nipples look about the same, maybe a little longer front-to-back. They have three little dots of conductive plastic, all at different heights, and three switch contact pad areas on the keyswitch circuit board. Basically the same thing except with an extra set of switches.

The SL88 velocity response seems to me repeatable and "non-finicky" offering few surprises. Surprises like "that note was louder or softer than I expected it to come out, according to how hard I struck it". Not something you ever think about on a keyboard so long as it responds good, but something one might frequently think about if the response happens to be ragged or inconsistent.

Maybe the triple sensor helps get a good smooth touch response, dunno.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”