Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well in that case you just need to make sure everything has space in the mix, put it together and put the first try up here. It will be much easier to give advice once there is something to listen to.

JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 am Well in that case you just need to make sure everything has space in the mix, put it together and put the first try up here. It will be much easier to give advice once there is something to listen to.
Thanks. Stupid question. I hear people talking about "The Drop" in a track. Naturally, not having grown up with this music, I didn't know what they were talking about. So I'm going to take a stab at this. Is that the part where the kick "drops" out (sometimes everything does) and then starts back up again?

If so, I have to say, some of the drops I'm hearing are really cool.

The drop is the part where everything comes back in after building tension. The climax if thats what you want to call it. So technically it will be right after kick drops out in your example.

JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 am The drop is the part where everything comes back in after building tension. The climax if thats what you want to call it. So technically it will be right after kick drops out in your example.
Ah, okay. Well, some of the "drop outs" are done so well because when everything comes back in it's just, well, cool. I'm old. It's the only cool word I know.

Damn kids are still on my lawn.

Its all about building tension and release. You do that with different fx, sweeps, uplifters, downlifters, pauses etc. So once you have put everything together, then we can give suggestions and/or options. Otherwise, everyone is just naming techniques which by themselves help you very little. Its how they are used together and it will be much easier when there is something to listen to and we can give you specifics on what might or might not work for your own unique piece of music.

JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 am Its all about building tension and release. You do that with different fx, sweeps, uplifters, downlifters, pauses etc. So once you have put everything together, then we can give suggestions and/or options. Otherwise, everyone is just naming techniques which by themselves help you very little. Its how they are used together and it will be much easier when there is something to listen to and we can give you specifics on what might or might not work for your own unique piece of music.
That's where arrangement comes in. Fortunately, I've been arranging music in general for a long time. So now it's just a matter of listening to enough of this stuff to get the general idea of how it's done.

My goal is to listen to 100 Trance tracks. Maybe even 200. It's how I did my 80s Synth Pop project which I think came out pretty well.

I'm already getting a pretty decent idea of the structure of these tunes even though each sub genre is actually quite different in sound. But most of them, if not all of them, have certain things in common which stick out like a sore thumb. It's hard to miss.

What my challenge is going to be is keeping the overall flavor of the genres without being so predictable that the tracks themselves are dull regardless of the production quality. I have an idea in my head for a concept CD. Ultimately, it's going to come down to whether or not the whole thing works.

When I'm done listening to my 100 or 200 tracks, I'm going to print the list so you can see what my research has consisted of. I am making mental notes of everything I'm hearing.

So far, for whatever reason, I find Goa the most exciting sub genre. In fact, right now I'm listening to a Goa playlist that's close to 100 tracks long all by itself.

I'm expecting to have a lot of fun trying to pull this off.

Well, goa is a different thing altogether. Actually i like it much more than mainstream trance.

The production-related thngs we were talking about may also apply to goa to some extent because, well, production is production, but what actually defines goa as a genre is the approach to melodies and compostion. The synths and mixing techniques may vary greatly. Actually many goa tracks people still admire today were made in the 90's with hardware synths and small mixers, so they weren't very complex in terms of layering and routing but people were twisting these knobs live :phones:

TBH i don't see how goa trance and pop vocals and lyrics may go well together. I mean, there is no rule which would forbid you doing that but goa is supposed to be mysterious and hypnotic and then you have a girl singing about love :? But well, do try this, maybe it turns out to be great after all
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 am goa is supposed to be mysterious and hypnotic and then you have a girl singing about love :?
Omg I can't stop laughing :lol:

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 am
JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 am Its all about building tension and release. You do that with different fx, sweeps, uplifters, downlifters, pauses etc. So once you have put everything together, then we can give suggestions and/or options. Otherwise, everyone is just naming techniques which by themselves help you very little. Its how they are used together and it will be much easier when there is something to listen to and we can give you specifics on what might or might not work for your own unique piece of music.
That's where arrangement comes in. Fortunately, I've been arranging music in general for a long time. So now it's just a matter of listening to enough of this stuff to get the general idea of how it's done.

My goal is to listen to 100 Trance tracks. Maybe even 200. It's how I did my 80s Synth Pop project which I think came out pretty well.

I'm already getting a pretty decent idea of the structure of these tunes even though each sub genre is actually quite different in sound. But most of them, if not all of them, have certain things in common which stick out like a sore thumb. It's hard to miss.

What my challenge is going to be is keeping the overall flavor of the genres without being so predictable that the tracks themselves are dull regardless of the production quality. I have an idea in my head for a concept CD. Ultimately, it's going to come down to whether or not the whole thing works.

When I'm done listening to my 100 or 200 tracks, I'm going to print the list so you can see what my research has consisted of. I am making mental notes of everything I'm hearing.

So far, for whatever reason, I find Goa the most exciting sub genre. In fact, right now I'm listening to a Goa playlist that's close to 100 tracks long all by itself.

I'm expecting to have a lot of fun trying to pull this off.
you have Goa gil , but don't forget u-recken too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEYvBojn144

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 am Well, goa is a different thing altogether. Actually i like it much more than mainstream trance.

The production-related thngs we were talking about may also apply to goa to some extent because, well, production is production, but what actually defines goa as a genre is the approach to melodies and compostion. The synths and mixing techniques may vary greatly. Actually many goa tracks people still admire today were made in the 90's with hardware synths and small mixers, so they weren't very complex in terms of layering and routing but people were twisting these knobs live :phones:

TBH i don't see how goa trance and pop vocals and lyrics may go well together. I mean, there is no rule which would forbid you doing that but goa is supposed to be mysterious and hypnotic and then you have a girl singing about love :? But well, do try this, maybe it turns out to be great after all
Well, I haven't decided yet where I'm going with this project. I may do a mix of sub genres. I may do my own thing altogether. And whatever I do my totally suck and fall flat on its face. That's cool too. I'm just going to enjoy the ride because I've never embarked on a project like this before. So if nothing else, for good or bad, it's going to be fun. And if just one person likes anything I've done with it, that's a plus.

3 words.
banco de gaia.

https://youtu.be/HQxFX_m-T5k

classic album as is maya.
later stuff is also good but more ambient or even world music in parts.

Thanks Vurt. I got a lot of stuff on the "listen to" list. By the time I'm done, I'll be hearing Trance in my sleep.

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 am 3 words.
banco de gaia.
Wow. That's a blast from the past. I wore out my old Banco De Gaia cassette tape back in the 90s. Went to see him live at a Megadog with Steve Hillage's System 7 ... happy days.

If there is one trance sub genre with many sub sub genre's, it is Psytrance. From Goa to Full-on to Progressive to Israeli full-on etc etc, lol. It used to be Goa psytrance long long ago when we were talking full moon parties, but like all other types of dance music it all became sub genre'dized over the years. At least you can't go wrong with the short triple bass after the kick and then use changes in velocity of those triples to give some movement to it.

Return to “Production Techniques”