Win 10 Oct update deletes files in user folder- should we panic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kr3eM wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:39 pm It is. I still wonder what's different on the computer where the problem exists. I'll be damned if it's not one of those system tuning/cleaner/modifying tool which messes deeply with the system.
Which version do you run? Home, Pro or any other version?
Home, and one laptop runs on Professional. All 3 machines without issues in regards of the Documents folder.

@chk071
ok, thanks for the reply

Is there official Microsoft statement about it? Please, post if you see it. Thanks.

andrew71 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm I haven't lost anything major...
Right. :x Just privacy, security, and control of what is yours.
Everything on your computer
is now the property of various microsoft employees.
Trustworthy or otherwise. You are utterly powerless
to limit what they do with it. :party:

Did you ever read what good men have died for?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

Wow, and I felt so smug about using a PC when Apple had that 'root' clanger last year.

This thing is a disaster. I mean at worst I expect to lose my on-disk iLok licenses following a Windows Update, not my actual files. Although I can back up my actual files, so y'know...

glokraw wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 pm Everything on your electronic devices is now the property of various West coast tech employees. Trustworthy or otherwise. You are utterly powerless to limit what they do with it.
Agreed, with a few minor changes...

And if you think Linux is safe because it's open source you may want to read this:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/04/china ... chain/amp/
Feel free to call me Brian.

This happened to me before with various updates or system failures. Lessor learned: do not store anything in Windows user folder. Or C:\ partition altogether.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yeah, why should you put anything in that user folder? Just because its name is user?

Maybe it deletes warez.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

bmrzycki wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 pm Everything on your electronic devices is now the property of various West coast tech employees. Trustworthy or otherwise. You are utterly powerless to limit what they do with it.
Agreed, with a few minor changes...

And if you think Linux is safe because it's open source you may want to read this:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/04/china ... chain/amp/
I use linux, without any illusion that it is safe. The first linux action
to take is to install and configure 'tripwire'. Assuming there is no
ultimate safety in any digital realm. Digital 'plastic' money
is just some bureaucrat's current opinion of your profile.
Easy enough to edit-on-demand.
Cheers

BMoore wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 pm Maybe it deletes warez.
In the Documents? :)

dune_rave wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:41 pm Yeah, why should you put anything in that user folder? Just because its name is user?
Programs drop user files in that folder too, at least it's the default location for some applications. Games particularly. Also DAW's.

Good reason to stick on Win7... in 7 years only ever done one upgrade>> to SP1.. no problems, ever... )))))

Ok, I am panicking. I have more than 4.5Gb in users folder from all kind of programs and plugins. I have 6 drives on my computer and I make effort every time to install everything on other than C drive- I dont know how I got so much stuff on C drive! I always was early adopter of all Windows updates, but this time I may disable updates until it clears out.

Keeping a read-only file named c:\Windows10Update is still working its traditional magic. (I also have the System attribute set, but I doubt that's necessary.)

It's a radical over-reaction that will probably bite me in the junk one day, but I've never had a Windows 10 update that didn't make my system unbootable, even when reformatting the drive and installing Win 10 from scratch. Build 10240 for life, I guess.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”