Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

Zebra 2 is very outdated sound engine , even when it come out it was already the case imo , if you are a preset user and use synth like expanders then maybe it s décent cause lot of preset , and many with eq and fx to hide the weakness of the sound engine , or if you are into ambiant stuff or things that need lot of fx / reverb cause there the sound of the synth doesn t matter much , Zebra modularity is good
Last edited by kobal on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kobal wrote:Zebra 2 is very outdated sound engine , even when it come out it was already the case imo , if you are a preset user and use synth like expanders then maybe it s décent cause lot of preset , and many with eq and fx to hide the weakness of the sound engine
:clap:

(I'm outta here... useless to discuss with certain people)

Zebra can't do EDM? Yeah right. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsZQhXAVsc

But, maybe, just maybe you have to work a little harder for it compared to other synths. Nothing for those instant gratification EDM kiddies, I guess. :hihi:
Urs wrote:Well, the problem I see with these kinds of sounds is that they are essentially an anti-statement to sound quality, as well as an anti-statement to synthesis.
You can't put it any better! EDM and its sound palette is the opposite to all musical that can be described as organic, beautiful and elegant.

Urs wrote:Well, here's how I see it: You don't want to post any example that *you* record straight out of your favourite synth, but you still want to keep telling us that "Zebra doesn't sound like it".

It's cool. I've become used to that over the decades (funnily enough, it started with a compressed-to-death example of a Virus sound, possibly recorded by the same person as this Youtube video)
I'm making a demo now.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote:
Urs wrote:
DJErmac wrote:First example I've found :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkyTgLkS_E
So Avenger somehow knows what the other tracks do and uses a built-in external side chain compressor to duck its sound? :roll:

I'm sorry, but let's start discussing this with absolutely plain raw sounds, not mixed, right out of the synth. No Youtube tricks.
This is not a side-chain compressor, this is a simple simulator. It's a basic tremolo. All the internal SQ presets use this. You've never tried Avenger have you ?
An old trick. I was using that 'fake ducking' in Synth Squad's Fusor back in 2010.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Just tried it for a bit (the white noise got to me) so I have since deleted it, but I am indeed more convinced that those weren't raw sounds...

This was the one export I did.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eizmpzye586w ... 2.mp3?dl=0

(usual dropbox, kvr incompatibility caveat)

rsp
sound sculptist

Btw, even as a u-he synth fanboi as I am, especially Zebra, I am in now way under the disillusion than zebra will work for all genres.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Btw, even as a u-he synth fanboi as I am, especially Zebra, I am in now way under the disillusion than zebra will work for all genres.
rsp
Here's what I don't understand, especially for EDM sounds. If a synth has basic filters, envelopes and LFOs and can make a supersaw sound, it can do EDM. There is no magic sauce to EDM sounds that I've heard anyway.

I think a lot of what people THINK they hear that's so amazing is in their minds.

What is discussed here, that some synths can give some results faster than others?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

wagtunes wrote: I think a lot of what people THINK they hear that's so amazing is in their minds.
In the 70s and 80s, synth sounds were "the sounds of the future", and a synthesizer was only limited "by your imagination" (and many of them were actually quite limited, no matter how imaginative we are, at least when compared with a beast like Zebra)...

Now, a sound from 2012 is dated, according to what was stated in this thread, and is not suited anymore :shrug: :-?
Fernando (FMR)

That's because Pierre Schaeffer never experienced the wub wubz :hihi:

Zexila wrote:What is discussed here, that some synths can give some results faster than others?
I think it can be summed to that, indeed...
Fernando (FMR)

It all boils down to personal preferences anyway. Synths do have character, even those which are intentionally made "neutral" sounding have that neutral character. While I don't doubt that Zebra can technically make most of the sounds typically used in trance or EDM (and this thread is full of relevant sound examples), I prefer character of other synths for whatever subjective reason.

I don't understand why the discussions on this matter are always so heated and why people who happen to like Zebra feel the need to convince the people who don't like it that they are idiots, don't know how to use synths, write crap music for stupid kiddies and the like.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”