FR for Transform Map Editing

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just created a couple of moderately detailed transform maps: 24 points based on some data I developed in an excel spreadsheet that involved a bunch of trig functions and the like. It was slightly tedious to transcribe these but fairly painless using lock-to-X-gridlines.

But when wishing to later check my entered values, there’s no apparent good way to do this. You must click on a point and risk moving it to see the tool-tip type help window that tells you the value. A couple of things come to mind. One obvious one would be to display the help window upon hover-over. That was we could see the value without risking alteration. But maybe some other way to turn all help windows temporarily on would be OK.

Or is there a trick here about which I should be aware?

If you attach the point to a MP and control it from there, you get a lot more control.
Not only will you be able to view its current value, but also type in values to snap to.
OK, so this is more of a workaround as it can be a bit long winded if you have many points. Also not all the editors have modulateable points.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

I'm afraid there's no way to show the actual values, it wouldn't probably help you too much, since the accuracy is limited (well, I don't know how much accuracy you are looking for). We'll see in the future, but it's kind of an extreme case.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:I'm afraid there's no way to show the actual values, it wouldn't probably help you too much, since the accuracy is limited (well, I don't know how much accuracy you are looking for). We'll see in the future, but it's kind of an extreme case.
Hmmm - I'm not at my DAW, but I was thinking about the possibility of locking the transform map first and then clicking on the points to get X and Y values displayed. Will try that when next at my DAW.

dmbaer wrote:I was thinking about the possibility of locking the transform map first and then clicking on the points to get X and Y values displayed.
OK, no joy. Locking the map (either in MP or Mod custom graph designer), you may click on a point and you see a display. Unfortunately all it tells you is the range of possible X and Y values. This is of minimal use as far as I can see. Why not show the current point's X and Y values?

In non lock mode, there's another thing I don't see the value in. If you click on a point, you don't see the tool-tip help. You must start moving (dragging) the point before that pops up. Why not show the values upon click? Maybe the point is already in the correct place and moving it will just cause more work when trying to get back to where you started.
MeldaProduction wrote:it wouldn't probably help you too much, since the accuracy is limited (well, I don't know how much accuracy you are looking for)
I'm only looking for as much accuracy as the graph allows, one decimal place to the right of the decimal point is quite adequate for any case I can think of. However, the accuracy in terms of significant digits is not what this is about. It's the fact that if one must manually enter, say, two dozen points on the graph, it would be easy for an error to slip in that might not be obvious from looking at the curve. A relatively easy way to go back and double check the entered values would be beneficial.

I understand. How about just zooming in? Mouse wheel or alt + drag rect. You know this is a very specific thing you are doing, so adding another feature just for that seems a bit over the top.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Sometimes I would like to see the exact value of a point on a transformation graph. The current pop-up, on clicking, does not provide useful info, as it shows the limits on the axes.

Just wondering: would it be possible to pop up the point value when the mouse cursor hovers over it (when it changes to the "Move" cursor)?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

MeldaProduction wrote:I understand. How about just zooming in? Mouse wheel or alt + drag rect. You know this is a very specific thing you are doing, so adding another feature just for that seems a bit over the top.
I'm actually not asking for a new feature. I'm asking for an improvement on either of two existing features.

For non-locked graphs, I would like the tool-tip showing the exact value to appear *before* the point starts to be dragged. If the point is already in the right place, I should be able to just leave it alone and not have to drag it back to where it started.

In the case of a locked graph, I'd like the current value to be displayed when the point is clicked on instead (or in addition to) the information that's already there.

Either of these solutions would provide what I (and apparently Dark Star) is looking for.

Hmmm, sounds possible, I'll take a look.
Vojtech

:tu:
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Just installed 12_00f and I was *delighted* to notice that this improvement has been made - for *both* unlocked and locked graphs. This is exactly what I was hoping to see. Thank you, Vojtech! :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

My pleasure!
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”