Tips for buying a used Receptor

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone:

I'm thinking about buying a used VIP, Trio or Quattro. Total newbie here. Can anyone help with these questions

1. Even though the company is now defunct, will I still be able to add software to the receptor, or am I just stuck with whatever it ships with. Say for example I want to add Komplete 11, or the instruments that come with logic or ableton?

2. Can the seller remotely deauthorize the receptor so that the software on it is unusable after paid for.

3. Any other tips/pitfalls/stuff to consider would be very welcome.

Thank you so much!

Jim

Hello
you can add software !you cant install Komplete 11. komplete 9 was the last version that works.There are loads of other vsts you can use .Read the forum for more inf.
Seller canot remotley deautherise installed software.Allot of the software uses an ilok key so make shure you get the ilok key if you have purchaced a receptor that has ilok protected software on it.The same goes for NI komplete the seller will have to transfer the licence to you or you will have to relicence the software .Trying to upgrade the Ni software online using the receptr connected to internet will result in a non working Komplete 9 Read forum posts and Ni instructions.If you are going to buy a receptor read the forum and decide what unit would be best for your needs.Older receptors only run in 32 bit mode and use a mixer sort of interface so you can only use 32 bit plugins this limits the amount if ram that the plugin can acess (about 4 gb in 32 bit mode) thats why older units only have max 4gb ram they are still very usable though .The newer models Vip quattro and treo can run in 64bit mode and the newer software on them allows you to choose between an older 32 bit mixer mode or a newer 64 bit rack mode you can also mix 32 bit and 64 bit plugs in the new rack mode.Some of the newer units come bundeled with a presonos external soundcard.There are pro max units that have been upgraded with the newer rack mode software.The upgrade software is no longer avalable .I own quattro and 2 upgraded pro max units i gig with them regularly they are very stable but you will need to backup the software on them incase of a crash .Unless you are a bit tech orientated i would steer clear.The units run a special linux os if you knowe a bit a bout linux thats good but not totaly necessary.
Good luck Andy.

Wow thank you so much!

Seller is not willing to transfer the NI license--understandably because he still uses it in his DAW. So if I buy this receptor, I won't be able to use the NI Komplete 9 actually on the receptor? It just won't work? What are my options?

Thank you again!

Jim

Hi
As long had he dosent deregister/remove physicaly the software from the receptor it will still work NI allow installation on up to 3 units there is no way for them to check where the units are.You wont be able to upgrade Ni anyway so i would try to get the seller to sell the unit as is with NI still activated and installed ,as it can be a pain to reinstall.
As i said beffore komplete 9 is the max ver receptor allows so you wont be able to or try to uppgrade and you having the software wont effect the sellers licence.you are buying so you have the upper hand.
Good luck Andy

Thank you so much! You were so helpful

This is exactly what we decided to do. The seller was so helpful too. Since he has been such a straight shooter, I have always been far less worried about him deauthorizing/deregistering than if he down the road sold his NI license (which he doesn't intend to do) and that new buyer did it. Glad to hear that that cannot be done remotely.

Once again I really appreciate all of your help. What a great community here!

Jim

Return to “Muse Research and Development”