Valhalla stake in AudioDamage Eos 2

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Eos 2 has a new (third) plate algorithm. Could this be related to Valhalla Plate?

Found a Gearslutz reply by Chris Randall:
"The "new" algorithm has always been in Eos, and is part of the original set supplied to us by Sean. However, it was a real bruiser on the CPU back in the day, and P4s _really_ didn't like it, so we left it hidden.
Fast forward to nearly 10 years later, and nobody uses a P4 for music, and the CPU load on a modern i7 is indistinguishable from the other algos. So we added it to the available ones."

Thanks for letting us know this. This probably makes it worthwhile to get the updated EOS, to have another once lost ValhallaDSP algorithm. Amazing how much things have changed in the last eight years — EOS originally came out during the netbook craze (anyone else remember netbooks?).
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

I vaguely remember delivering 3 different plates. The one that was left out of the original Eos might have been my favorite plate.

The plates have nothing to do with ValhallaPlate. The ValhallaPlate algorithms are models of analog plates, while the Eos algorithms are *digital* plates. All of the Eos algorithms are fairly unique, and I haven't duplicated them in other plugins. SuperHall is REALLY weird under the hood!

Sean Costello

Thanks for chiming in, Sean. Every reverb you put your hands on turns into gold. As for me, turning into a verb geek myself. Love your stuff.

caulixtla wrote:Thanks for letting us know this. This probably makes it worthwhile to get the updated EOS, to have another once lost ValhallaDSP algorithm. Amazing how much things have changed in the last eight years — EOS originally came out during the netbook craze (anyone else remember netbooks?).
As for netbooks, I tried Eos 2 on a newish MacBook, which could be seen as a netbook successor. Definitely not up to the job as far as the new GUI goes. On my MacBook Pro with its quad i7, things are running smoothly.

You know, they don’t make all the buzz they did eight years ago, but there are still $200 new netbooks out there, like the ASUS E200HA. $200 price: Check. Intel Atom chip: Check. 10-11 inch size: Check. But, yes, the two pound Macbook is a Netbook in the sense its CPU is a 4.5W TDP CPU. I’m sure it can run Valhalla Vintage Verb just fine; heck my old T8100 based Thinkpad T61 can run a single instance of VVV at 96khz at the lowest possible latency settings I could get with my old Scarlett 2i2 (96khz because that old interface needed the higher sampling rate to have decent latency)

The question is: Can the E200HA, or any other Atom-based computer, run VVV? I would guess it could run it at 44.1khz, but probably not at 96khz, and I would probably have to increase the latency a notch or two.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

Should work. Contrarily, at over $2K this MacBook (with 500GB ssd) is way overpriced.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”