RC Virtual MIDI Out "Dead" MacOS

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can any Mac users confirm whether or not RC Virtual MIDI Out is working OK? Tried selecting it under Settings: Default MIDI Out and even though RC Virtual MIDI advertises itself over the system no apps appear to receive data when selected as a source. Used MIDI Monitor to sniff for MIDI data but it doesn't see any data even though I can select it as a source (It behaves the same as any of the instruments do).

Any ideas or input would be welcome.

Thanks!

RC 3.04 (x64)

Please make sure you set a "MIDI" instrument for your tracks. Soundfonts or VSTi tracks generate audio in RapidComposer, only MIDI (e.g. "General MIDI", "No patch change") outputs MIDI events.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Thanks Attila, that was indeed the cause. I don't remember seeing anything in the Wiki about that setting. I'll reread it incase i missed it. Guess my assumption was that the phrases are described as MIDI phrases, when I do the control drag to D&D the Line to the desktop or a DAW I get a MIDI file. I pictured that the phrase MIDI was independent of the sound generation but as you describe it, internally, the data goes through the sound module and stops there if a sound font or VSTi is active.

I guess I'm used to the mindset MIDI is MIDI, audio is audio. MIDI generates audio but remains independent from it. Time to evolve my stagnant old mind!

One more step forward!

Thanks Again!

You are welcome!
I mentioned "No patch change" because it does not send a MIDI program change message, which is more suitable for working with virtual instruments.

Some people use hardware synths. They also have to choose a MIDI instrument. Please note you can duplicate and edit "GeneralMIDI.rcINST" according to your synth presets. I prepared an instrument file for Yamaha Tyros5 with thousands of presets.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

In my haste I glossed over the "No Patch Change" bit, figured that out real quick! I will have some experiments with my old Yamaha MU50 and see how that goes. Mostly messing around with VIs for the time being (Arturia V stuff and AAS primarily)

Thanks

K

Return to “MusicDevelopments”