Recommend a good free Ghost program.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone tried AOMEI Backupper Standard? It's free I'm using it but didn't get to the point of restoring the image. I got it at Gizmo's Freeware recommendation. Here are some reviews of different free drive cloning software: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... ftware.htm

I have been using Backupper for a long time, had a slight bug with image size for a while but it's all resolved now.

Has good compression, restore is simple - recommended.
I play guitar

To me, the free defacto standard for 1:1 copies of entire harddisks etc is Clonezilla. Don't be scared just because its text or linux based. It only poses a few simple questions (where to store etc) and isn't complicated to use.

I've been using Macrium Reflect for quite some time now. Works perfectly and fast on my machine(s). Making a Windows PE boot CD is easy as cake. Can also be installed in the bootmanager, even more convenient (but always keep a backup CD at hand of course). Can't believe it's still free with so much features packed in (but not so bloated as Acronis) :D
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Just a query on Clonezilla. If you have a Win laptop with a recovery partition plus a system install, is it possible to clone the entire structure in one operation or do you need to create partitions and do it one at a time?

Terabyte BootIt Bare Metal and Disk Image are the best softwares for imaging and multi-boot managing as well as backup. Had a deal on the bundle not long ago, may still be running.

How about SSHD drive? Will it effect the speed?

i just downloaded the free version of AOMEI.

The free version sounds like it will be good, but from reading the fine print, it looks as though you need to upgrade to pro if you want to copy an entire Windows installation.

I'm fine with shelling out the $50 upgrade if I'm sure that that's what I need t do. Or, if someone else has another recommendation.

Just to reiterate what I need:

-I need a piece of software that will clone one drive to another
-The drive I need to clone is a Windows 10 OS drive.
-The source/target drives are both SATA internal
-I need the target drive to be an EXACT copy, and it needs to be bootable afterwards.

Is it work upgrading to AOMEI pro for this?

I used Macrium Reflect a little while ago to image a solo drive that would become part of a RAID 1 array. I transfer my soft iLok licenses to an iLok key but went YOLO on everything else.

Was quick and easy, some license systems did think it was a new install, so if you want to be extra sure, deactive your licenses.

It appears that the two freeware utilites Kleo Bare Metal, and Partition Saving are not actual Windows/Mac programs. You have to boot in to this software. They are also very old. While this may work... It would be super a super painful process.

yellowmix wrote:I used Macrium Reflect a little while ago to image a solo drive that would become part of a RAID 1 array.
This looks like an option. I'm guessing I have to pay the $75 for the ability to clone an entire bootable OS though? Is that right?

Damn, why is this even an issue for Windows? On Mac I just used Carbon Copy Cloner.

Anyone tried EaseUS? There are quite a few good reviews out there and it looks like it does what I need it to do. But, Trustpilot has loads of scathing reviews from angry customers saying that the software and company are rubbish. It's really hard to figure this one out because the reviews could be just fake and from competitors.

Just because this popped up again and I haven't seen it mentioned, I use the free Veeam Agent for Windows. It doesn't have millions of options and features, but it is rather easy to use. Nice feature: after the backup, it immediately unmounts the external USB drive where I backup to.
Of course I had to register and create an account, which sadly is common nowadays, but so far there's not really any annoying newsletters and promo mail or whatnot.
I've yet to test a restore with the created bootable stick, but I am quite hesitant as this is my only computer, and if it for some reason does not work, I am f**** ;)

Syncretia wrote:This looks like an option. I'm guessing I have to pay the $75 for the ability to clone an entire bootable OS though? Is that right?
No, the free version of Macrium Reflect works 100% for that. I've been using it for years now, both the commercial and free version, and it's been very good and dependable (I have done a number of restores with it over the years, so... tried and tested on production workstations in actual times of need as well :) ).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”