List your current hardware instruments and/or FX and what you would add if anything is missing

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: (gear list)
I know from a famous thread that you must have had a Mopho at some point and I recall you mentioning a King Korg on other occasions. Sold them?

TheoM wrote:are you using software too?

I'd love to know if there's anyone else here that has completely stopped using software synths also. I don't even have most of them installed anymore. SO much to get around to selling but the task daunts me lol.

I almost stopped. I'm still using Maschine (Mikro) as a basic drum sampler, I'd like to go otb but I have yet to find the right tool for me (both feature and price wise). The other exceptions are when I need a sampler (very rarely) or a polysynth (because I have yet to get a real poly analog and sometimes I'm not satisfied with any of my hardware VA).
I'm not making much music recently (I spend much of my spare time in activities related to building the setup, not playing/composing... sigh!), but when I do it's only hardware synths lately (with the exception of Maschine for basic drums) and I don't bother with virtual instruments.

I still have all my soft synths installed (I even upgraded some of them recently), even if I'm almost not using them anymore. If one day I need them (or don't want to play with hardware), they are sill ready to work.
I still use virtual fx for mixing, but I have some hardware as well (MoogerFoogers, some EHX pedals, a TimeFactor). For tracking, sometimes I go directly into the soundcard, sometimes I use a preamp (WA12 is a favourite of mine).

What's next? I'm tinking about getting a second Mother-32, building some more devices like vca, filters and lfo (this will definitely happen soon), getting a drum sampler/sequencer (in order to go completely otb untill it's time to record and mix; I didn't find the right one yet, and I want to buy it new), maybe a good analog drum machine (I love this kind of devices), probably a poly analog (I'm afraid a Minilogue won't be enough for me, and I'm unsure about spending the money asked by the bigger, desiderable ones), another midi interface (I already need it, I'm thinking about an 8x8 by Motu), a good midi to cv converter, maybe a mixer...

If I were you, TheoM, I would add a few pedals to your setup, so you can mangle the sound before recording. If you don't want to spend too much, you may consider something like a cheap analog delay (EHX Memory Boy?), some modulation fx (for example a phaser, which can be interesting also in the insert loop of an analog delay, if it has this feature), a distortion like the MF-Drive (even though I'm not a big fan of distortions in general), maybe a colorful analog filter to process things (but you already have a few analog synths which can process external audio, so you're covered unless you want a specific flavour). You can mangle things and, in some cases, play the fx (especially with analog delays).
I love Moogs (probably in a similar way to your love for Yamaha's) so, if price is not a problem (and if you like their sound, of course!), I would suggest any of the MoogerFooger.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

TheoM wrote:What do you consider exquisite Daags?

:pray:

yep. :grin:

cryophonik wrote:I just don't have the space for another full-sized keyboard.
Yeah, size is also a factor for me. I got a bigger room when we moved here, but less overall rooms in the house so my studio now has to do double duty as a guest bedroom and when you have a kid and your family is all over the country, it seems like every other month we have a houseguest.

The good news is, finding a digital synth worth having is really hard for me. By that I mean the plug in world has gotten very good. I can justify the Prophet 6 module because it sounds so rich and pure, but on something like the 12 that has all sorts of digital artifacts it's hard to justify. It's not like I don't dig that sound. It's just that I can get there in software to a degree that perfectly satisfies me.

I did end up replacing the Prophet 12 with a Sonic Core XITE-1 though. It's a PCIe audio interface with a boat load of DSP on board. The Creamware emulations that run on it are decent, but where it really shines is that there is a polyphonic modular environment where you can more or less make your synths to your own specs. It's a single rack space unit so it really disappears. I recommend it to anyone who's in a limited space situation who wants to offload some work from their CPU.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

IncarnateX wrote:
zerocrossing wrote: (gear list)
I know from a famous thread that you must have had a Mopho at some point and I recall you mentioning a King Korg on other occasions. Sold them?
Yeah. I sold the MoPho because there was overlap with the Prophet 12, but then later sold the 12 and the KingKORG due to space issues and replaced them with a Sonic Core XITE-1. I'll pick up a MoPho again at some point. I liked that little yellow box. Now I'm using Oxium for those duties. (Great plug in)

The KingKORG was great too, it just was always awkward in my space. I probably would have kept it if the keyboard had aftertouch and a really good feel to it. I could have made it my 61 key controller.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Speaking of size, i am thinking of moving back home from my parent's and the studio room is much smaller. I have a table for all the mini kb's like the nova/jd/microkorg, but i also now have the 5 octave an1x, 4 octave Roland49 and 5 octave KX61.

I was thinking, what is the very best way to maximise space usage? Are triple keyboard stands safe? (obviously i would put the heaviest on the flat bottom row). So even if i find a triple stand for those, there are still some units i want to buy that don't have rack mounted or module versions. Any advice on space usage organisation would be great. This is the first time in my life i already own more than 2 KB's. In the 90's studio we had the an1x and cs1x and that was it, on one good quality dual layer stand.

basically what will still be coming is a keyboard when i find one that has a joystick vector, i might even have to end up getting an old wavestation.. as per other thread, this is to control the SR's vector. And a yamaha EX5 if i can't find a rack (which would be much preferable, the ex5r is my favourite rompler of all time so that is non negotiable). Finally, a proper large 76 semi or 88 pro weighted keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch as my main controller. Perhaps the nektar 88 key. If that had a joystick that would have solved two problems at once, oh well. Also a workstation.. i have to have one really good one as an alternative sound source to the integra which runs out of poly very easily when i use say 1x4 part patch and then just a couple single parts, so hexa timbral, i can get note dropouts.

Geez, the jdxi/nova/microkorg/axiom25/An1x/RolandA49/KX61 is what i have already and am overloaded in this large bedroom here.

The KX61 is important because it has yamaha's amazing arpeggiator, and sadly no aftertouch, but if i get a motif eventually then that has thousands even more patterns.. so i could then replace that with that.. i don't think i would EVER sell the KX61 though as it's in mint condition and a really special discontinued product IMO. I also have to keep the roland a49 for now cause it's the BEST way to play the integra acoustic instruments.. (supernatural button which maps everything logically for keyboardists with one button push).

I do also eventually want a mopho X4 to master control my tetras parameters hands on, as well as polychain for a total of 12 poly. That means i will be able to play really rich pads with longer releases than I can do now. Love my tets, they are discontinued, but the mophoX4 lives on!

Anyway..... any help as usual.. so appreciated.. suggestions, ideas :)

sin night wrote:
TheoM wrote:are you using software too?

I'd love to know if there's anyone else here that has completely stopped using software synths also. I don't even have most of them installed anymore. SO much to get around to selling but the task daunts me lol.

I almost stopped. I'm still using Maschine (Mikro) as a basic drum sampler, I'd like to go otb but I have yet to find the right tool for me (both feature and price wise). The other exceptions are when I need a sampler (very rarely) or a polysynth (because I have yet to get a real poly analog and sometimes I'm not satisfied with any of my hardware VA).
I'm not making much music recently (I spend much of my spare time in activities related to building the setup, not playing/composing... sigh!), but when I do it's only hardware synths lately (with the exception of Maschine for basic drums) and I don't bother with virtual instruments.

I still have all my soft synths installed (I even upgraded some of them recently), even if I'm almost not using them anymore. If one day I need them (or don't want to play with hardware), they are sill ready to work.
I still use virtual fx for mixing, but I have some hardware as well (MoogerFoogers, some EHX pedals, a TimeFactor). For tracking, sometimes I go directly into the soundcard, sometimes I use a preamp (WA12 is a favourite of mine).

What's next? I'm tinking about getting a second Mother-32, building some more devices like vca, filters and lfo (this will definitely happen soon), getting a drum sampler/sequencer (in order to go completely otb untill it's time to record and mix; I didn't find the right one yet, and I want to buy it new), maybe a good analog drum machine (I love this kind of devices), probably a poly analog (I'm afraid a Minilogue won't be enough for me, and I'm unsure about spending the money asked by the bigger, desiderable ones), another midi interface (I already need it, I'm thinking about an 8x8 by Motu), a good midi to cv converter, maybe a mixer...

If I were you, TheoM, I would add a few pedals to your setup, so you can mangle the sound before recording. If you don't want to spend too much, you may consider something like a cheap analog delay (EHX Memory Boy?), some modulation fx (for example a phaser, which can be interesting also in the insert loop of an analog delay, if it has this feature), a distortion like the MF-Drive (even though I'm not a big fan of distortions in general), maybe a colorful analog filter to process things (but you already have a few analog synths which can process external audio, so you're covered unless you want a specific flavour). You can mangle things and, in some cases, play the fx (especially with analog delays).
I love Moogs (probably in a similar way to your love for Yamaha's) so, if price is not a problem (and if you like their sound, of course!), I would suggest any of the MoogerFooger.
I can't recommend one of the new offerings from Sequential enough. I went with the Prophet 6 and I'm super happy with it. I probably would have liked an OB-6 module a bit more, but it didn't exist when I made the purchase and the 6 module was already stretching things a bit for me budget wise. For years I G.A.S.'d hard for an Omega or C.O.D.E. 8, but since the Prophet 6 purchase that box feels solidly "ticked."

A few weeks after the 6 purchase I sold Diva. I tried to sell off my XILS synths (except Oxium) but there were no takers. :roll: I kind of made a hard rule for myself: only keep software that's NFR or that offers something significantly different than what I have in hardware, or what's possible in software. I still do most of my effects processing ITB. I couldn't make it work using pure hardware and I don't think I'd really I want to.

So, you like the Mother 32 enough to get a second, eh? I picked up a System 1m a while ago with the idea of pairing it with a Mother 32. Someone mentioned that the voltage scaling on the 32 wasn't standard, but I am really drawn to it sound wise. I must say that having the 1m around has made me question this plan a bit. I'm not sure I dig the physical patching thing. I wish I could borrow a 32 for a few weeks to see how I get on with it.
Zerocrossing Media

I'm thinking of getting a triple a-frame type stand for the larger keyboards. I used to have an Ultimate Support one long ago. The one that I found now is from OnStage:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AFrame3

The thing that worries me about these kinds of stands is the tiers swinging around and the keyboard falling (that's what happened once with my Ultimate Support one). The OnStage seems to have grooves that lock in the position.

The appealing thing about an AFrame style stand is that it's really flexible in terms of being able to set the height and angle of each keyboard to what works for you. I wouldn't trust these though for a super big and heavy keyboard. They are rated for 40lbs per tier, so if you have something like a Nord Lead (in terms of weight) you should be more than okay.

I wish they had something like this in a smaller format for e.g. Microkorg-sized boards... that you could put on a table or small file cabinet, etc.

TheoM wrote:Speaking of size, i am thinking of moving back home from my parent's and the studio room is much smaller. I have a table for all the mini kb's like the nova/jd/microkorg, but i also now have the 5 octave an1x, 4 octave Roland49 and 5 octave KX61.

I was thinking, what is the very best way to maximise space usage? Are triple keyboard stands safe? (obviously i would put the heaviest on the flat bottom row). So even if i find a triple stand for those, there are still some units i want to buy that don't have rack mounted or module versions. Any advice on space usage organisation would be great. This is the first time in my life i already own more than 2 KB's. In the 90's studio we had the an1x and cs1x and that was it, on one good quality dual layer stand.

basically what will still be coming is a keyboard when i find one that has a joystick vector, i might even have to end up getting an old wavestation.. as per other thread, this is to control the SR's vector. And a yamaha EX5 if i can't find a rack (which would be much preferable, the ex5r is my favourite rompler of all time so that is non negotiable). Finally, a proper large 76 semi or 88 pro weighted keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch as my main controller. Perhaps the nektar 88 key. If that had a joystick that would have solved two problems at once, oh well. Also a workstation.. i have to have one really good one as an alternative sound source to the integra which runs out of poly very easily when i use say 1x4 part patch and then just a couple single parts, so hexa timbral, i can get note dropouts.

Geez, the jdxi/nova/microkorg/axiom25/An1x/RolandA49/KX61 is what i have already and am overloaded in this large bedroom here.

The KX61 is important because it has yamaha's amazing arpeggiator, and sadly no aftertouch, but if i get a motif eventually then that has thousands even more patterns.. so i could then replace that with that.. i don't think i would EVER sell the KX61 though as it's in mint condition and a really special discontinued product IMO. I also have to keep the roland a49 for now cause it's the BEST way to play the integra acoustic instruments.. (supernatural button which maps everything logically for keyboardists with one button push).

I do also eventually want a mopho X4 to master control my tetras parameters hands on, as well as polychain for a total of 12 poly. That means i will be able to play really rich pads with longer releases than I can do now. Love my tets, they are discontinued, but the mophoX4 lives on!

Hm, you sound a bit like me a while back. From my experience I can say that getting everything you want is curiously similar to having nothing. At some point, for me, I found it ergonomically untenable. The move that started my hardware sell off was actually a bit of a blessing as when the dust settled (why is it always so dusty? :lol: ) I found that the leaner set up to be much better. I found too much hardware makes the room a bit chaotic no matter how neat you set it up. Just the more simple look of things seems to lead me to mentally feel better in the space.

I hope I don't sound like one of your nemesises :hihi: but from my vantage point synths like your Nova, An1x and the like, might be things that could get the heave ho to make space for things that are not as easily done in software or that have fun to use interfaces. (Like the X4) I'm not saying those synths are bad, but sonically you can find software that's as good (though not the same). You probably already own it. 8) Anyway, just say'n. I like to advocate for the devil from time to time.
Zerocrossing Media

Sequent wrote:I'm thinking of getting a triple a-frame type stand for the larger keyboards. I used to have an Ultimate Support one long ago. The one that I found now is from OnStage:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AFrame3

The thing that worries me about these kinds of stands is the tiers swinging around and the keyboard falling (that's what happened once with my Ultimate Support one). The OnStage seems to have grooves that lock in the position.

The appealing thing about an AFrame style stand is that it's really flexible in terms of being able to set the height and angle of each keyboard to what works for you. I wouldn't trust these though for a super big and heavy keyboard. They are rated for 40lbs per tier, so if you have something like a Nord Lead (in terms of weight) you should be more than okay.

I wish they had something like this in a smaller format for e.g. Microkorg-sized boards... that you could put on a table or small file cabinet, etc.
Wow brilliant thanks, will try find one locally.. So 18 kilograms per layer, yeah, it should be ok, and i will put the master motif when i eventually get it on the desk right in front of me between the mac KB and monitor. cheers :)

zerocrossing wrote:
TheoM wrote:Speaking of size, i am thinking of moving back home from my parent's and the studio room is much smaller. I have a table for all the mini kb's like the nova/jd/microkorg, but i also now have the 5 octave an1x, 4 octave Roland49 and 5 octave KX61.

Hm, you sound a bit like me a while back. From my experience I can say that getting everything you want is curiously similar to having nothing. At some point, for me, I found it ergonomically untenable. The move that started my hardware sell off was actually a bit of a blessing as when the dust settled (why is it always so dusty? :lol: ) I found that the leaner set up to be much better. I found too much hardware makes the room a bit chaotic no matter how neat you set it up. Just the more simple look of things seems to lead me to mentally feel better in the space.

I hope I don't sound like one of your nemesises :hihi: but from my vantage point synths like your Nova, An1x and the like, might be things that could get the heave ho to make space for things that are not as easily done in software or that have fun to use interfaces. (Like the X4) I'm not saying those synths are bad, but sonically you can find software that's as good (though not the same). You probably already own it. 8) Anyway, just say'n. I like to advocate for the devil from time to time.

No i know you are always genuine and i appreciate the advice. The an1x is my favourite sounding VA of all time though so that will never go. I think the microkorg may have been in error.. the mininova i actually use as a vocoder and autotune.. as well as being able to replicate heaps of the songs i did with the supernova back in the day, so again, important. Microkorg takes so little room though that i will sell it when i get something i need more. JDxi is absolutely essential cause it's my main source of hardware edm drums right now (the kits are brilliant and the sequencer very easy to use). The other problem is, say in a normal track i have 32 vsti tracks.. well.. many of the synths you listed are mono timbral with lo polyphony and even IF they are multi timbral, i often use the entire polyphony with one patch anyway! So really, since i like to work in realtime and not commit to audio till it's absolutely the time to do the final mixdown and all composition is done, i still can't work 100% all hardware even with all the stuff i have now, without running out of poly. I get maybe 16 midi tracks before everything is tapped out atm. Hmm, will need to think though..

I miss compact multitimbral something like Kronos Rack.... which doesn't exist and most likely won't wever

zerocrossing wrote:I can't recommend one of the new offerings from Sequential enough.
That's exactly the brand I'm thinking of for a poly analog. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the price, but I may finally decide to buy one after the summer (I don't feel confortable at spending all that money right now).

zerocrossing wrote:So, you like the Mother 32 enough to get a second, eh?
I like it, but the key factor for wanting a second one is that it's already part of a small modular system. Beside a few diy modules (adsr, mixer, etc; will build more soon), I have a MF-107 which I'm already using as a second oscillator (it tracks nicely enough after some calibration), so with a second Mother-32 I would have a system with 3 Moog oscillators... or I could use just the two Mothers by themselves to play a sequence "in stereo", by hard panning them... This is the idea behind my thinking of getting another Mother-32.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Much easier to show than to write.

The synths now include a M32 and DSI Pro2. And I am really an analog guy. I have not found the advantage to a hardware digital synth yet. VSTi have become too awesome.

Trying to list Virtual stuff would be tendinitis inducing. I primarily use Falcon, Halion and Kontakt, recently Geist 2 is getting a good run, Strobe 2 for MPE and BFD3. There are oodles of spectacular virtual synths these days. I still use Diva and Bazille quite a bit. Occasionally GForce MTron and VSM. Mostly because they are only needed from time to time. I recently have been spending time with Arturias Synclavier.

Lynx Aurora interface. And although I think the Aurora is an excellent interface, I will go UAD when they get their heads out of the nethers on proper windows support for their high end interfaces with Unison support.

I do have a bunch of Mackie gear, and a couple of UAD pres. Probably my biggest gap is mic and pre choice.

Gear porn alert,
The keys side of the room missing a couple of semi recent additions.

Desk side of the room with the Mackie HRs

Guitars/Bass's/Pedals
In the closet are a custom built Egnator 60 watt amp with 2x12 Celestion Alnico Blues in a Birch cab, and a Ampeg V-4B and Ashdown 4x10+Horn cab.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”