Valhalla inside Blue Cat Patchwork

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please excuse the cross-post, it's about the interaction between two products, so I'm posting to both.
Brand new to Patchwork, fired it up for the first time yesterday. I loaded several plugs, including Valhalla Ubermod, and the Valhalla licensing dialog opened, not once, but many many times, until Patchwork crashed. FWIW, I have a license for Ubermod, and it loads without problems in Studio One.

Has anyone else run into this? I searched this forum (Blue Cat) for 'Valhalla' and saw a couple of hits, which implies that at least some people have used at least some of their stuff in Patchwork.
Blue Cat suggested I try running Patchwork as an admin (I'm on Windows 7 Pro). Does it make sense to you that that would be required? I do run Studio One as an admin, not specifically for Valhalla stuff, but just to avoid trouble in general. I'd rather not do that, but I'd rather stuff worked too ;)

Any other thoughts?

Just to say it, if access to the registry or other protected objects is required, and that fails, ideally the plugin would respond more gracefully than retrying instantly an infinite number of times, which appears to have been what happened. May not be worth addressing, but still true.

Also worth documenting this if it's true. Which you may have, but I didn't see it in the FAQ, could be me though.

dwozzle wrote:Just to say it, if access to the registry or other protected objects is required, and that fails, ideally the plugin would respond more gracefully than retrying instantly an infinite number of times, which appears to have been what happened. May not be worth addressing, but still true.

Also worth documenting this if it's true. Which you may have, but I didn't see it in the FAQ, could be me though.
The plugin accesses the .settings file when first booting up. If this doesn't have the right info, a popup window comes up, letting the user know about this. This isn't in the registry, or in a protected place (as far as I know).

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

Not sure where it's looking, but I can see if Process Explorer will show me what it's trying to access. Don't know if it shows attempts that fail, but running as admin should let it succeed.

In any case, the real problem was the infinite number of times the dlg opened, until Patchwork crashed. Not that big a deal if running as admin fixes it, but it would be good to document, and ideally handle better.

I suppose it's possible that was Patchwork itself, not the plugin, but that seems unlikely.

I'll experiment some more and post back.

dwozzle wrote:Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

Not sure where it's looking, but I can see if Process Explorer will show me what it's trying to access. Don't know if it shows attempts that fail, but running as admin should let it succeed.

In any case, the real problem was the infinite number of times the dlg opened, until Patchwork crashed. Not that big a deal if running as admin fixes it, but it would be good to document, and ideally handle better.

I suppose it's possible that was Patchwork itself, not the plugin, but that seems unlikely.

I've never heard of this behavior in any other plugin host.

Question: is ÜberMod authorized and working for you in Studio One?

valhallasound wrote:
dwozzle wrote:Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

I've never heard of this behavior in any other plugin host.

Question: is ÜberMod authorized and working for you in Studio One?
Yes, I own it, it's authorized and works fine in Studio One. This happened only in Patchwork. I'll try running it as admin when I can.

I didn't get a chance to run it as admin last night, but Blue Cat replied in the thread I started about this in their forum, saying the infinite recursion may be on their end.

That thread is here. Discussion of the recursion piece should probably happen there, but it looks like that's not a Valhalla issue, so you probably don't need to worry about it.

The failure to find the license in the first place does seem to be on the Valhalla side, and may come down to an OS permissions problem. However, I wouldn't think that running the host as admin should be necessary, and I might well see the same problem in Studio One if I wasn't doing that.

Do you think I did something wrong during the install to cause it? Is it possibly because my 64 bit VSTs are in C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\, and Program Files is somewhat protected if UAC is on, which it is? But the license files aren't actually in that directory I think, so that seems like a red herring.

If no other solution presents itself, hopefully running Patchwork as admin will work. Besides helping myself, I'm trying to help the world at large know how to avoid similar issues, whether it's by documentation, installation procedure, or actual changes.

dwozzle wrote: The failure to find the license in the first place does seem to be on the Valhalla side, and may come down to an OS permissions problem. However, I wouldn't think that running the host as admin should be necessary, and I might well see the same problem in Studio One if I wasn't doing that.
If you aren't running Studio One as an admin, and the license works fine for you, I don't think it is due to admin privileges in the Valhalla plugin stuff.
Do you think I did something wrong during the install to cause it? Is it possibly because my 64 bit VSTs are in C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\, and Program Files is somewhat protected if UAC is on, which it is? But the license files aren't actually in that directory I think, so that seems like a red herring.
Yeah, the license files are independent of where the plugin .dll files are located.

Sean Costello

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I AM running Studio One as admin. I don't remember the specific problem(s) I had that made me do that, but I don't think it was Valhalla licensing. I think. Still haven't had a chance to try Patchwork as admin, crazy life at the moment...

Finally got a chance to try running Patchwork as admin, and it's quite repeatable: Running it as admin, I can load my Valhallas just fine. Running without admin rights, the license dlg recurses endlessly until Patchwork crashes.

[cross post from the Blue Cat forum thread, FYI]

UPDATE: I tried running Studio One not as admin, and all Valhalla plugins didn't think they were licensed. I pointed them to their auth file, then they were fine. I then tried Patchwork not as admin again, and the Valhallas were fine.

From this I conclude:
- The Valhalla plugins need to be authorized separately for running as admin and not. I doubt that's intentional, but maybe it is.
- Patchwork doesn't handle Valhalla's license dlg well, gets caught in a recursive loop.

Oddly, I never had any trouble at all with Valhalla plugs in Patchwork. I was using Ubermod in it just earlier. I'm on Windows 8.1 running Studio One 3 x64.

@FET, that could jibe with my conclusions, if you run Studio One and Patchwork either both as admin, or both not. See above:
From this I conclude:
- The Valhalla plugins need to be authorized separately for running as admin and not. I doubt that's intentional, but maybe it is.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”