settings in kontakt sounds loaded with subsessions ?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone !

Is there a way to have the settings for a rack with Kontakt being changed with the subsession , without having to reload all the samples ? A kind of snapshot saved with each subsession ?

Thanks !

PS: ask me if my question doesn't seem very clear ...

Hi,

First off: Subsessions are a method with some niggles. Although they are a fine way to handle large amounts of samples and switch between them with near to no delay the ways to chose between them are not really comfortable. MIDI-routings and trigger events that are fully changable concerning parameters when switching from one session to another only can be switched off and on from one subsession to another means: you have to create as many different of them as you finally need for a whole show.

Also it is not possible to change sample content preloaded into the romplers directly by selecting it in the plug when you change by the use of subsessions afaik. Subsessions simply don`t remember this or always load the content – especially in kontakt it takes some seconds to only open the load dialog even though the inner load algorithm is intelligent and remembers the content if it was loaded last. So whatever you do with kontakt in sessions only: count in some seconds for changing from one session to another. Fast switching times means you are forced to use subsessions.

If this is o.k. the first thing to do is to deactivate „Entire Bank“ in the „subsession behavior folder“ of kontakt (otherwise cantabile will open up the load dialog for samples even though the content isn`t changed). Then there are two methodes I`m aware of:

1. Using instrument banks in kontakt (you simply load the different instruments into any of the 128 slots and activate them by sending a program change with corresponding number. To do so, you have to create as many trigger events with „Sub Session Load“ as Event and the rack you load cantabile to as Target. Under action you chose „Send program change x“ (where x stands for the slot number in Kantabile). Now you have to create as many Subsessions as there are Slots loaded and disable all triggers but the one you want to send. Calling up subsessions (or sessions with only one session but different subsessions in a setlist) lets you chose the sounds you like without delay.

2. Using several instruments loaded as slots to kontakt. Disadvantage: this is limited to 16 (what offten is enough). In this case the way is as follows: create as many MIDI-routings as there are instruments in cantabile, chose the MIDI-source to the MIDI-ins you want the instruments to be controlled by, chose the rack with kontakt in it as Target for all MIDI-routings and select their midi channels to the MIDI-channels of the instruments they shall control in kantabile, set MIDI-device of MIDI In in the rack menu to „None“. The rest works corresponding to the way I described above.

Both methods lead to the result you hopefully were asking for.

Regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Thanks a lot Humphrey !

I realize I wasn't specific enough in my question and by the way ,english is not my native language ,I 'm french...sorry for that !

The methods you indicate are of course good ones , and I already use the second one

But what I really want is that : I would like that with susbsessions , change of parameters within the kontakt instance would be saved .

For instance , let's say you have the scarbee vintage keys used in one slot of kontakt : with subessions I would like that all parameters (effects, eq ,etc ) would be recalled , without reloading the samples ,and not having to create as many instance of the vintage keys as needed)

I hope I am a litle clearer now ? (probably not ,but...I try ;) )

Hi Tritok,

yes it's clear now. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this and to be true: I can't imagine there will be one in the (near) future even though I'd really welcome it. The only additional idea I could think of wild be to load up a subset of MIDI parameters into the plugin by using Trigger Events (theoretical this could be used to change the whole set).

As Brad Robinson is very busy with the complete redesign of cantabile atm it probably would be a good idea to ask him if he´d be willing to take this to his development backlog as it is a really good idea.

Regards, Volker
Last edited by humphrey on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Thanks a lot humphrey !

It's really a pity there's no solution in cantabile...In Brainspawn Forte , the snapshot system works this way (I'm pretty sure about it)..But apart from this feature , I really prefer Cantabile , and I have my whole set already programmed with it...

Hi Tritok,
Tritok wrote: ...In Brainspawn Forte , the snapshot system works this way (I'm pretty sure about it)...
sorry, but here I disagree: Forte is able to handle the "preload samples" problem by chosing "Do not set per-Scene plugin configuration" in the Scene commands folder. But doing so leads to not reloading sample contents but also to not changing any settings, means: the behavior is the same as in cantabiles subsessions with entire bank disabled. Or am I missing something here? :?:

regards, Volker

Return to “Topten Software”