An account of very poor, and totally biased moderation.

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The user 'Dean AKA Nekro' joined this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&start=75

to make a very long, slur and profanity strewn post directed at me - totally off-topic, and with absolutely no reference to anything being said.
He called me things like 'wanker' 'c**t' , said I had erectile dysfunction and told me to kill myself, and hoped I would do so and a list of other extremely vulgar totally off the charts things which are, I thought ? against the rules. the second time he has done such a thing. the last time, he got a 24 hr ban. some people have been banned here on the forum for calling a person something as innocuous as 'troll', for two weeks. Much less tell someone to kill themselves in the middle of a litany of abusive names.

a mod friend of his quickly edited his post, and left a note that he AGREED with Dean ?

lol, give me a break. we have some very poor moderation in effect today. agreeing with a user who makes an off-topic post full of slurs and profanities, encouraging another user to kill themselves, completely against the rules - and deleting the post to no doubt spare him a ban from another mod. while the post should most certainly have been deleted, it should have come with a ban too - which is why I conclude the swift deletion was done to aide him, rather than hinder him.

within the thread, I made a simple post to indicate I had seen the message, found it distasteful, and was surprised to see the mod agreeing with such hateful and vulgar abuse, which in retrospect is borderline criminal. My simple statement was deleted, making it look like I was somehow engaged in this vulgar exchange with the user 'Dean AKA Nekro'.

screencaps available.

some people shouldn't be mods if they're not going to live up to the responsibilities, even if that means banning their friends when they go way off the charts with their abuse.

cheers.

Dean is one of the nicest guys on this forum.
If he said anything inappropriate I can guarantee he's just having a bad day, so don't take it to heart.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Why don't you just PM a mod? This thread will probably create more drama.

Mushy Mushy wrote:If he said anything inappropriate I can guarantee he's just having a bad day, so don't take it to heart.
evidently he is having a bad day. the endless list of abusive names, abusive speculation on my personal life, etc might be easier not to take to heart...but it takes a very sick & bad minded individual to encourage others to kill themselves. that kind of abuse is against the rules for the reason.

it's the second time he has targeted me with this abuse.

but my main concern isn't dean, it's the mod who has refused to ban him and has in fact prevented him from being banned by a more responsible mod by hiding his crime without also administering at least some form of punishment. and to add insult to injury, the mod agrees with him ? he agrees that I should kill myself ?

crazy.

if anyone else had a 'bad day' in this fashion, they would be given the ban hammer in short order. and rightly so.

a grown man should be able to use his big-boy words and express himself without resorting to such hateful, off-topic and borderline criminal text {assuming dean lives in the UK, he technically crossed a criminal line here by encouraging me to kill myself - and the mod has facilitated this crime}

[quote="chk071]
Why don't you just PM a mod? This thread will probably create more drama.[/quote]
Mods moderate anonymously. I have no idea which mod did this, and I don't know the list of mods. I could very well end up PM'ing the mod who agrees I have erectile dysfunction, and I'm a c**t who needs to kill myself etc.

Besides which, this is the 'site stuff' section. Seems like a reasonable place to share my experience. Like I said, many users get the ban-hammer for much much less, I would consider it only fair & right for users to know what some people can get away with providing they're mates with a mod.

Ok, i get your point. Really pretty harsh if a mod generally agrees on stuff like that.

probably off topic, but just out of curiosity - what is it about "killing yourself" that makes it stand out of a list of abusive language? i mean, if someone calls me a c%$t with an erectile disfunction and that i should kill myself, i'd most probably read that as a single, monolithic insult as opposed to breaking it down into parts. maybe that's culture difference, but i don't see "kill yourself" as a particularly bad insult (on the contrary, think it's rather benign and it certainly doesn't take anyone to be "sick and bad minded" to say that).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:probably off topic, but just out of curiosity - what is it about "killing yourself" that makes it stand out of a list of abusive language? i mean, if someone calls me a c%$t with an erectile disfunction and that i should kill myself, i'd most probably read that as a single, monolithic insult as opposed to breaking it down into parts. maybe that's culture difference, but i don't see "kill yourself" as a particularly bad insult (on the contrary, think it's rather benign and it certainly doesn't take anyone to be "sick and bad minded" to say that).

A fair question, since you were lucky enough not to see the diatribe much less be the recipient of it. It wasn't just one sentence filled with potty mouth namecalling, which he punctuated with a 'kill yourself'. it was literally a whole page of vitriolic abuse, replete with insulting youtube vids and even edits to add more abuse. the part where he encouraged me to kill myself was surrounded by a paragraph or two of him speculating on how sad my life must be, and how he pities me, and how he thinks I should just kill myself...

I can see where you are coming from, but it was incredibly nasty shit from a diseased mind, not just off the cuff. Still though, even 'off the cuff' suggestions that other users should kill themselves is way off the chart IMO.

but again, I'm not really trying to convince you that Dean deserves to be banned - that is patently obvious to anyone who would have seen the message. My main point is the extremely poor moderation that took place, and particular how the Mod took it upon him or her self to state that they AGREED with Dean ?

Is this a UK site ? Dean is located in the UK. certainly criminal lines were crossed in his message, and it's very strange he did not receive a ban of any form.

the mind boggles.

Do you honestly care though ?
It's the Internet. If somebody said that to me I'd just think "wanker" and move on.
I can't stand political correctness.
Anybody who gets offended by a random needs to grow some balls.
It's a brutal world. If one can't deal with flippant comments, how on earth can one deal with actual important issues?!

It's kind of a mind-disease to be as condescending as you (OP) are too.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Mushy Mushy wrote:Do you honestly care though ?
It's the Internet. If somebody said that to me I'd just think "wanker" and move on.
I can't stand political correctness.
Anybody who gets offended by a random needs to grow some balls.
It's a brutal world. If one can't deal with flippant comments, how on earth can one deal with actual important issues?!
Sure. I'm not going to lose sleep about it tonight. I'm not going to tell my friends about it over a cup of tea. I'm not going to take to social media about it.

But this is the 'site stuff' section of KVR, it's relevant, it says 'how can we improve KVR?' in the headline. And this thread is germane re: that question.

The nature of Deans abuse is only secondary to what this thread is about and trying to document, which is the incredibly biased moderation that was conducted in that thread. This info may be useful to someone in the future. The mod may act in this manner again. Or another user may get a severe ban for a much more minor infraction.

etc

BMoore wrote: It's kind of a mind-disease to be as condescending as you (OP) are too.
no, not really. it's a criminal act in the UK to dole out the kind of abuse Dole doled out. And to get away with that without punishment is note worthy. It's not a criminal act, or a 'mind-disease' to be perceived as condescending though. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion in that respect.

OP, point taken.

Off to bed now.
Hope you get it sorted 8)

I'm locking this. You've made your point, and being in 'Site Stuff' Ben will be sure to see it. He might even tar and feather the mod responsible.

Return to “Site Stuff”