Audio engineering schools in the US

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A Japanese friend of mine is looking to go to a university in the States to study audio engineering and is wondering which one to go to. Does anybody at KVR have any good ideas? I had thought that a college/trade school might make more sense given that he's currently in the fourth year of his undergraduate degree in design & engineering here, but he seems pretty set on going to an American university. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From the ratio of 'bang per buck', I'd look into Technical Collegs. I attend one myself and have no complaints about the equipment or the education and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than more advertised universities (Full-Sail, Musictech).

yeah, it seems that way to me, too - i mean, it's cool to have a university degree, but when you need to learn a specific skill, why not go to a college that specializes in just that? he seems really set on university, though -- i wonder if its because his parents will bankroll an american university, but not an american technical school?

A university is probably the best way to go.

From my experience, the best way to have a career in audio engineering is to intern at a studio- watch a lot of engineers work, probably skip the school. Its much cheaper :)

so such schools don't get you right behind a console (though maybe theres such stories, I dunno).

Most colleges have some audio engineering courses, at least in California. However I'd recommend searching out a university with a good electronic music program. I went to UCSC http://www.ucsc.edu the electronic music faculty was world-class (Peter Elsea and Gordon Mumma). UCLA also has a great electronic music department.

Not sure if this helps, but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.berklee.edu/majors/mpe.html

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”