Feature Request: Sound Design Mode

Official support for: audiospillage.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Super loving this plug. :)

After spending some time setting up a controller map for a single pad in DrumSpillage, I'm wondering if a handy toggle setting could be added to the preferences...Sound Design Mode, where all sounds use the same CC#s for each setting but only the foreground sound is effected (i.e. FilterQ can be mapped to one hardware knob and moving between sounds lets you use the same knob on multiple destinations.

There are simply way too many (wonderful) destinations to create a comprehensive hardware mapping (at least given most small/midsize controllers), but something like this would give quick creative hardware control to a single sound at a time.

Thanks syncr!

This is an excellent idea and an early prototype actually worked in a very similar way. We had it hooked up to a MIDI drum pad controller with 8 knob controls assigned to 8 DrumSpillage synth parameters. A vertical fader type slider was used to select the pad currently under MIDI CC control.

This would work really well for the standard parameters (ADSR, LFO, filter etc). Perhaps something extra would need to be added to cater for the model parameters.

This is easily the most elegant solution so far proposed!

Best,
AudioSpillage

audiospillage wrote:Thanks syncr!

This is an excellent idea and an early prototype actually worked in a very similar way. We had it hooked up to a MIDI drum pad controller with 8 knob controls assigned to 8 DrumSpillage synth parameters. A vertical fader type slider was used to select the pad currently under MIDI CC control.

This would work really well for the standard parameters (ADSR, LFO, filter etc). Perhaps something extra would need to be added to cater for the model parameters.

This is easily the most elegant solution so far proposed!

Best,
AudioSpillage
Thanks for the reply and enthusiasm :)
I noticed the same complexity problem with model parameters. However, you do a nice job of re-using many of the control values from model to model, so my focus on the bass drum model provided reasonable crossover with some of the models. But like you say, there probably is a better way. Having a text printout of the current controllers used throughout would be a helpful way to visualize other patterns. Any chance we could get something like that?

On the topic of selecting the active sound, I like the idea of using a fader/knob to select in some circumstances, but in some cases being able to use a drum pad controller seems more familiar. Would it be possible to do key command linked to drum pad tap (i.e. hold control while tapping drum pad 5)? Seems intuitively opposite to DS's handy command-click the view-selector feature (which is fab btw).

Best!
-syncr

Excellent idea!

What if the most recently touched pad selects it? So, if you want to adjust the kick, which is on pad one, just hit that corresponding pad and tweak away.

Or maybe that is the plan and I just misunderstood you.

How about something like this:

The official MIDI spec includes a standard MIDI CC mapping/guideline e.g. volume = CC #7, pan = CC #10, filter cutoff #74, resonance #71, attack #73, release#72 etc.

So, we map as many of these standard controllers as possible to the appropriate DrumSpillage parameter and freely assign any available controller to whatever is selected in the X/Y control in the pad editors.... is that a bit old school? Or is something starting to take shape?

Mod wheel would be mapped to pitch modulation of course and either a user interface shortcut or another MIDI controller could be used to select the 'foreground' pad under CC control.

Pitch bend might be best as a global tuning control. Perhaps volume would also be better as a global control and 'Expression #11' could be used instead for individual pad output level.

In addition a dedicated touch controller for iPhone/iPad etc also sounds appealing. More work though...

AudioSpillage

Ok, so I like where this is heading but just want to clarify a couple of things.

1) We are talking about enabling Sound Design Mode via the previously discussed Preference toggle (or some other switch on the main page if I can be so bold ;)

2) Once enabled, DS takes on a kind of multitambral behavior where CC #74 for DS Drumpad #1 controls filter cutoff for Drumpad #1. Switch the "foreground" sound to Drumpad #4 and CC#74 controls cutoff for Drumpad #4?

3) What would CC#74 control when "Sound Design Mode" was disabled? Would an OMNI mode be possible? The thought of global CC controls over any possible parameter sounds in-cre-di-ble. Not my initial intention, but now that it comes to mind...Wow.

4) I like the 2 options for selecting the foreground sound. Nice.

5) Can you explain the XY part? I think you are simply saying any CC could be X, and any could be Y. If so that sounds like a strong feature.

Taking shape nicely, yes. :)
-syncr

syncr wrote: Ok, so I like where this is heading but just want to clarify a couple of things.

1) We are talking about enabling Sound Design Mode via the previously discussed Preference toggle (or some other switch on the main page if I can be so bold ;)
Bold sounds good to me! Not sure where it would be best to put the MIDI CC controls yet. I was thinking that sound design mode would be the default (possibly only?) behaviour.
syncr wrote: 2) Once enabled, DS takes on a kind of multitambral behavior where CC #74 for DS Drumpad #1 controls filter cutoff for Drumpad #1. Switch the "foreground" sound to Drumpad #4 and CC#74 controls cutoff for Drumpad #4?
Yep!
syncr wrote: 3) What would CC#74 control when "Sound Design Mode" was disabled? Would an OMNI mode be possible? The thought of global CC controls over any possible parameter sounds in-cre-di-ble. Not my initial intention, but now that it comes to mind...Wow.
Interesting idea!
syncr wrote:5) Can you explain the XY part? I think you are simply saying any CC could be X, and any could be Y. If so that sounds like a strong feature.
Yep that's pretty much it. In sound design mode the CC's assigned to the X/Y parameters will be the same for every pad of course. This seems a bit limiting though as it only allows you to control 2 model parameters simultaneously via MIDI.

Whilst we're onto this stuff I think the dynamic accent feature could be improved. It's a very powerful feature but perhaps what it does under the hood should be user configurable.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!!

Stephen | AudioSpillage

audiospillage wrote:
syncr wrote: Ok, so I like where this is heading but just want to clarify a couple of things.
Bold sounds good to me! Not sure where it would be best to put the MIDI CC controls yet. I was thinking that sound design mode would be the default (possibly only?) behaviour.
Just checking, but this wouldn't have any negative effect on the automation of the non-foreground sounds? I'm stuck on the CC metaphor, but there is obviously some other method that VSTs use to control internal parameters. I've seen suggestions of this but don't have the right terminology to describe it.
audiospillage wrote:
syncr wrote:5) Can you explain the XY part? I think you are simply saying any CC could be X, and any could be Y. If so that sounds like a strong feature.
Yep that's pretty much it. In sound design mode the CC's assigned to the X/Y parameters will be the same for every pad of course. This seems a bit limiting though as it only allows you to control 2 model parameters simultaneously via MIDI.
I'm not sure I understand this part completely. I recognize that controlling only 2 model parameters limits the depth of control over some powerful aspects and I'd certainly prefer 100%, but assigning 2 model params isn't too bad given all the new control. But are you also saying that XY control would be limited to a total of 2 model parameters across all 16 sounds? I'm guessing there is some misinterpretation here. You tell me. ;)
audiospillage wrote: Whilst we're onto this stuff I think the dynamic accent feature could be improved. It's a very powerful feature but perhaps what it does under the hood should be user configurable.
Perhaps an advanced mode toggle? I can hear a lot of potential but can only speculate as to what is contained inside.
audiospillage wrote:Thanks for all the feedback so far!!
My pleasure. Thanks the conversation. I'm redesigning some aspects of my production to take complete advantage of this plug so this is a very worthwhile investment for me. :)

syncr wrote:
audiospillage wrote:
Just checking, but this wouldn't have any negative effect on the automation of the non-foreground sounds? I'm stuck on the CC metaphor, but there is obviously some other method that VSTs use to control internal parameters. I've seen suggestions of this but don't have the right terminology to describe it.
Nope, this won't affect the automation system at all. MIDI and automation are completely independent systems.
syncr wrote:
audiospillage wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this part completely. I recognize that controlling only 2 model parameters limits the depth of control over some powerful aspects and I'd certainly prefer 100%, but assigning 2 model params isn't too bad given all the new control. But are you also saying that XY control would be limited to a total of 2 model parameters across all 16 sounds? I'm guessing there is some misinterpretation here. You tell me. ;)
What I'm proposing is that, say CC#16 and CC#17, are by default mapped to the X and Y controller. So for each pad you can select any available parameter for the X/Y controller (as normal) but those 2 parameters will now be under MIDI control. This fits with the sound design mode but also allows you to control any parameter via MIDI, albeit only 2 per pad.
syncr wrote:
audiospillage wrote:Thanks for all the feedback so far!!
My pleasure. Thanks the conversation. I'm redesigning some aspects of my production to take complete advantage of this plug so this is a very worthwhile investment for me. :)
Thanks! Glad you're finding it useful in your productions!

AudioSpillage

Hey Stephen.

I'm wondering if you've heard of the app called Track Master (available in the App Store). It allows for multi-touch XY control via built-in trackpads (laptops) or Magic Trackpad inputs. Gives the user up to three fingers of control. Perhaps SDM could do something similar. That would provide for up to 6 total CCs for model params.

Here is a CDM article on Track Master.
http://is.gd/OXzzym

Perhaps it's not feasible but I thought it was worth considering. If not native inside DrumSpillage, I'd certainly buy Track Master and a Magic Trackpad for the ability to map out 4 additional CCs for model params behind the scenes.

Best.
-syncr

Hadn't seen that app actually so thanks for the tip! This might tie in nicely with some other ideas I've had recently regarding the mouse/trackpad. To be continued...

Return to “AudioSpillage”