Vaz feature requests

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

re the idea of having more rows of sliders per control sequencer - it would be good if all modules that had muliplt mod sources could display as one item on the dopdown list, and have the options for it on a second fold out menu, so things werent so visually cluttered, failing that, perhaps have the module name, then all of the mod source sunder it indented, italicised, or something similar?
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

also - i think ive suggested it before, but a feedback oscillator.

more or less the comb filter, but with a visual display like the oscillator - a main cv input, a few pitch mod sliders, and whatever feedback/ damping/ etc is required to make it work.

How about a multi-stage envelope with modulation inputs for every single rate and level/target? I would prefer the opportunity to choose an initial level so it doesn't have to start from zero, but there's always the possibility to just sacrifice a stage. Five stages would work for a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure if much more could be handled conveniently. I dream of an eight stage one, but that would be a monster with its sixteen modulation inputs.. It could have the choices of «normal» multi-stage behavior with a chosen loop stage (as in the present multi-stage, from stage x to stage y), cycle mode and a one-shot mode where it goes through the entire stage when triggered and disregards note off and such messages. And off course the usual choice of reset every time or not as with most of the other envelopes. A cute little three-stage version could also be very useful with percussive sounds and in cycle mode as a modulatable modulation source, I should think.

edit: I'm thinking of a relatively simple envelope, without the shape parameters. Sort of a 5(or more...)-stage envelope M and a 3-stage envelope M, if that makes sense.

Also a simple little limiter that could be turned on for each patch could be helpful, painful experience has thought me that this wold be a nice precaution when experimenting with parameters one are not quite familiar with.. There's the compressor, but it can be overdriven and I like the sound of it distorting so I wouldn't want you to take that away... Besides, something that we could just switch on and off as needed for each patch or each channel on the mixer without having to insert anything would be superconvenient. :) Is it possible for you to make an auto-volume adjuster by the way? For each main output, one that would turn the volume down just enough to prevent clipping and the volume faders would actually move down as it did so sort of like midicontrolled faders do.
Last edited by Gone soft on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also: the voice gate module is nice, can we have a stereo version please? Using a mixer to feed both channels into it for a hint when setting the polyphony to dynamic seems such a waste.

Hi Martin

Is it possible to have an updated Sub Oscillator module.
The one we have now is aliasing A LOT !

I tried to do a Korg Polysix clone in VazMod, but the Sub Osc stand-by'd the project.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

V-GER wrote:How about a multi-stage envelope with modulation inputs for every single rate and level/target? I would prefer the opportunity to choose an initial level so it doesn't have to start from zero, but there's always the possibility to just sacrifice a stage. Five stages would work for a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure if much more could be handled conveniently. I dream of an eight stage one, but that would be a monster with its sixteen modulation inputs.. It could have the choices of «normal» multi-stage behaviour with a chosen loop stage (as in the present multi-stage, from stage x to stage y), cycle mode and a one-shot mode where it goes through the entire stage when triggered and disregards note off and such messages. And off course the usual choice of reset every time or not as with most of the other envelopes. A cute little three-stage version could also be very useful with percussive sounds and in cycle mode as a modulatable modulation source, I should think.
I would also be interested in an envelope like this, very similar to Alesis Andromeda...

Kevin

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Any possibility for some of this, Martin? ->

A possibility to rightclick sequencers, plugins and other modules wich vanish when going back to editing a patch to make them stay on top. Preferably with a choice of making them stay on top just within the patch or globally, this way for instance several sequencers from different patches could be kept visible at the same time to make it easier to adjust them in realation to each other or the patches in relation to the on top modules etc. Also this would make it easier to integrate plugins in a patch.

Merge and expand the matrix and the wonderfully flexible "Mixer 3-input" into an eight in eight out matrix-mixer with modulation for the levels of each input/output. That would be great for those of us trying to get into multitap delays and other delay effects with crossfeedback here and there. Also it would do wonders for FM and PM, and offcourse all sorts of combinations of combfilters and filtering with controlleed and modulated feedback and crossfeedback. As time goes by a sixteen in sixteen out would probably be wanted for more modulated and/or not so modulated crossfeedback. :hyper:
EDIT:I was thinking of individual controll over the level to each output for every input, that is 2 x 8 faders for each input. That would be a total of 128 faders.. I guess a 16 in 16 out might not even fit the screen so that would probably be out of the question...

Could it be possible to export sequences as MIDI files so that they can be easily used and further edited in sequencer software?

A simple little MIDI player may prove useful every now and then.. Some nice little triggerinputs etc. Some way of choosing the position to start the playback from would make it even more helpful, but almost anything would be useful.

Higher BPM, even old jazztunes are played as fast as way over 300 BPM and almost 400. 500 BPM as the new maximum would be nice, more would be even better. (not the most important for me personally, though I'd definately use it, but I bet there's bound to be somebody out there who would love it)

Could the «song» in sequencers have loop points? Then they could play an intro or start with silence for x bars and go on to repeating suitable cycles of rhythm and/or bass and/or harmony and/or disharmony or.. If that is possible it would be wonderful if the end point could be set after the last loop point and we get a button for breaking out of the cycle and going on to the last bars from the next bar on. A little bit of planning or a MIDI trigger instead of manual mouseclicking and certain things can get done so much easier (at the present if using the program as a plugin I would rather use a DAW or software sequencer to change between patterns in Vaz Modulars own sequencers or just trigger them at appropriate points than use some other sequencing, I love the sort of seventies feel with expanded possibilites and they really feel like a part of the synth).

And if that's possible how about setting one of the sequencers in a bank to be a kind of master sequencer? Simply meaning when it stops (reaches the end of the sequence song) all sequencers stop.

Programmable tempochanges, could that be done? A sort of temposequencer or whatever it's proper name would be for the entire bank, perhaps it could be slightly similar to a simple control converter enabling tempo changes for every step of a pattern and then those patterns can be arranged in a manner similar to songmode?

There's all sorts of ways of working around this, but being able to choose timebase for each individual pattern sure would be nice.

And modulatable pitchchangers would be appreciated. The combfilters can do smurfish (if not always very inteligeble) treatments of voices but I haven't found a way of making them go the other way that really works.. And proper pitchchangers (EDIT: they're called pitch shifters, sorry) would give us lot's of not so smurfish possibilities...

Sorry if I'm asking for a lot, I blame the spirit of the season... :P
Last edited by Gone soft on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It seems I forgot a few things...

I often wish several modules could be marked and moved in one operation, just some special way of clicking or pressing some key and stretching out a marker around the area to be moved - similar to marking an area in photoeditors.

Some way of "cloning" several modules with their patching and everything, including pathcing to modules outside of what one make a copy of. So if you want several sets of envelope Ms with four noise modules and four S&H triggered by for instance "CV1 trig" that could be done a lot more efficient this way. Or several similar sets of oscilators and some modules affecting them perhaps also including (comb) filters for layering or panning, just "clone" and tweak what is needed for detuning etc. Lesser chance of "mouse disease" and more patching pleasure. :wink:

A system to save arrangements of modules to be inserted into patches as needed, filterbanks and FM algorithms would be some potential uses. So we would have patches, banks and, ehm, AOM (Arrangements Of Modules)? Module arrangements? All values initialized, if that's possible it would make sense for HPF filters to have an initial value of maximum instead of minimum so the would be fully open. BPFs could perhaps be centered at the middle value (zero). If not perhaps we could have a choice if we want certain modules to have initial values of max or middle (zero), or we'll just live fine without that detail...
EDIT: It might also serve for the "patch merging" purposes some65 was interested in, though perhaps with saved (userdefined) values instead of my suggestion of initial values. :)

Is support for sfz possible to do? It defines regions and a bunch of other stuff for samples, superconvinient in oh so many ways but I have no idea how much work it would involve to implement it. Perhaps a sfz oscillator/module would be nescessary for a full implementation.. It can be used for free. Description of the format: http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/article.aspx?aid=108

Off topic: do I remember correctly when I think that you have a dayjob at BBC? I'm curious as to what you do there if so.

I don't work for the BBC but projects from my day job have appeared in news bulletins.

Martin

One thing i really really mis is that Vaz 2010/Modular don't ask me for the plugin if i by acciden have placed it in another folder, which can easely happen when moving to another PC.

Instead of just open the patch without any inserts i would like to get a dialog where i can point to the "missing" (third party) insert plugins.

Can this be done Martin or is there another way to get over this problem.
I just don't want (can't have) the same folder structure on my new computer as on the old one
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

olepro wrote:One thing i really really mis is that Vaz 2010/Modular don't ask me for the plugin if i by acciden have placed it in another folder, which can easely happen when moving to another PC.

Instead of just open the patch without any inserts i would like to get a dialog where i can point to the "missing" (third party) insert plugins.

Can this be done Martin or is there another way to get over this problem.
I just don't want (can't have) the same folder structure on my new computer as on the old one
I thought this was fixed in the new version? There was a little discussion not so long ago, and I was pleased with how convenient this seemed (especially as inconviniances and challenges with Windows generally changes for every version), to bad it seems it isn't so anyway..

Thought I shouldn't keep firing requests at Martin, but can't help it (yes, I have next to no life in the world outside...). An idea I had a while ago but forgot to post:

Could a backup bank format native to Vaz Modular be made, a kind of zip file for banks that would include samples and dlls/other plugins and everything used in the patches made so it would load from within the archive file, Martin? Ideally with an option to extract plugins and samples/other non Vaz M data to folders of choice along with extracting the bank into a "proper" Vaz M bank pointing to the newly extracted data. This would futureproof stuff, as long as people can keep track of any serials and other relevant things pertaining to archived data (not really any concern of Martin, just a reminder to those who might mess up those kind of things...).

Oh, it could have been fixed without me knowing it !
I actually haven't tried it with the brand new version...
...it would be soo great if it is, must try it right away
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

how about some sort of stereo combiner/ expander thing - ie you feed your left and right signal into it, it outputs one output, then at the end of the chain, you can split it back into left and right (ie independant processing of left and right, without having to duplicate modules for left and right). that would be great.

olepro wrote:Oh, it could have been fixed without me knowing it !
I actually haven't tried it with the brand new version...
...it would be soo great if it is, must try it right away
No, it's like before.
But i have to roll back from vers 2.1 as it crashes very often.
But i it's quite random when and why i happends !?
I can go from one patch to another and it shuts down, i open it and does the same thing and nothing happends ??
Others having instablity problems ?
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Return to “VAZ Synths”