question about mono compatibility ( v-room)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi sean,

i wanted to write you a pm but i ended up writing in the forum instead.

somehow i can't follow this debate generally.
i agree that phasing issues are annoying but honestly when i put a reverb,in this case mostly valhalla room,over a whole drumset and create a deep reverb there aren't phasing issues when listening to it in mono,using for example the free bx-brainworks plugin.

also i don't think it is necessarily important to make bass frequencies mono for a more "direct sound"

instead,sometimes i find it much more difficult to have enough highs in an overall mix.

so,i'm confused.

what i want to do is,playing my guitar through the computer (along with drums, bass,samples and synth's) to play on stages and in clubs.
during the mixing process i mostly end up removing any compressors at the master chain,like today. :?

now,i lower the overall rms to -3 and my waveform doesn't look smashed at all but also not spiky.

my only concern is that i'm maybe a little bit to low in volume compared to a highly pushed dance floor mix .

otherwise,i think i've got much more dynamic and i can rise the volume from my soundcard anyway.

so,what is going on in my opinion,there is generally a challenge between dynamic,transparency and very audible small details from a highly compressed mix, which is probably a little bit more audible,especially when listening to it with lower volume like most of the people do.

do you have some thoughts about it?

I'm not sure what this has to do with Sean's excellent products (or whether I should be butting into his forum) but your misgivings show perfectly how important it is to have someone experienced on the desk, riding the faders and how much more effective they will be than a bit of naive control from the artist.

Concentrate on your material. Worry a little about the balance and get it best possible but remember that the song is king - especially live. Your audience will be "punters" - people who enjoy music rather than worry about whether the bass was a maybe -1dB from optimum. If the person on the desk knows what you are trying to achieve (which is why it's always good to break bread with them in plenty of time) they will tweak levels for you. They've been doing it for years and because most musos are too arrogant to talk to the sound guys they relish it when someone steps up to discuss the upcoming set and shows a bit of interest about the rig they have, etc.

Just my 0.02€.
"are we there yet?"

thanks jonnyG,

i wrote already, this post was meant as pm but i thought i put it into the forum.

i think the question is very much related since a reverb which give movement and depth to a sound is 99% squashed when hard compressed and i mean todays commercial productions.
well,you don't hear anyway a lot of reverb in todays prductions,instead people repeatedly talking about 80's sound...
if a person on a desk know

i'm not expecting to meet anybody who know what he's doing when playing on a small venue.

to consolidate my question.

i think phasing issues are more audible,if there,when the material is more compressed,that's why i ask sean's opinion.

what is a phasing issue anyway,is it there when you recognize it with a mono plugin?

i mean come on.
100% of the statements in forums rely on "mono your bass":roll:

Return to “Valhalla DSP”