Maize Sampler 2 is on the way

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
RELATED
PRODUCTS

caoxiang wrote:Shaoduo Xie (xsd121) is another maize sampler 2 developer who is going to help you guys with all the synth/fx features. He has some experience with synth and also developed a synth VSTi called ganK. :) Hope we can satisfy your requirements in future updates.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4162.html
That is good news!
Thanks, I look forward to hearing more.
Paul

xsd121 wrote:>snip<
1. There should be modulation options and built-in fx both on the editor(the sampler) and the player(the end user uses), so that the sound designer can invent sound with more possiblities as well as the end user can see how the designer performs and understand the patch/preset well.

2. Compared with the 1, only the sound designer (the editor) can have access to modulations and fx but end users can't. The end users can only handle a small amount of basic parameters(overall ADSR, etc...)
hi, thanks for chiming in, as well as sorry for the late reply!
on topic: well, kind of a mix of both. what i'm thinking of is, that the sounddesigner is able to assign makro knobs via the modulation matrix, as well as via rightclick on a parameter that he wants the user to be able to control. once he defined these parameters, he should be able to edit the gui to his visions, as far as possible. and, yes, if the sounddesigner wants to provide simply all the controls as he uses them himself, he just specifies that the whole parameter set, just as availlable in the maize sampler, is availlable to the user. the only thing the user then couldn't do is, loading up his own waves/samplerprograms.
xsd121 wrote:Suppose you are now equipped with samples,
1. why you need modulations? If we provide you with free use of LFOs and ENVs and a modulation matrix, what would you do with it?
very good question, and here's the answer:
a lot of users use samplers as flexible synthesizers. the only difference is, that, instead of using traditional waves as osc's, they can use whatever they want as source wave. being able to use multisamples as soundsource simply opens tremendeous flexibility in sound creation, given that the sampler is providing you with a lot of synthesis. this is (at least to a great part) why kontakt is the leader. it provides you with nearly everything you need to use the sampler either way, as a sample only player, as well as a full synthesizer where the only difference is, that i can freely choose my "osc"... the kontakt engine that a sounddesigner can license from native instruments just doesn't allow the user to compile a vst right out of the sampler itself, as well as you always can see that it is the kontakt engine, the gui can't be modified so much that you wouldn't notice. not that this would be important to _me_, but i assime it would for others.
xsd121 wrote:2. what kind of fx do you want(except reverb @_@), like chorus, phaser, flanger, etc..please name it. of course each fx will goes with its internal modulaters(lfo, env..)
01. a monophonic delay (stereo/mono input for the wet section, user-switchable), output always stereo, output panable with a seperate slider.

02. a ping pong delay. the input, which feeds the delay section only should be summed up to mono before it enters the feddback network (no center summ-feedback, so that the taps are altering the side only). output should be always stereo (so that the dry signal is passed through stereo to the dry/wet mixer. left/right tap individually pannable.

03. 46/8 stage phaser. with adjustable center frequency, ammount, lfo speed, lfo stereo phase offset (0-180 degree).

04. through zero-flanger, 0-500ms delay, feedback, lfo stereo phase offset (0-180 degree).

05. bitcrusher/sample rate reducer, stepless.

06. chorus/ensemble fx.

07. reverb capable of modulating the tail.

08. leslie emulation with drive at the input.

09. tube/transistor drive, from subtle to strong.

10. a brickwall limiter/clipper, to be placed at the very end of the signal chain.

11. an svf multimode filter with lfo, the lfo waves should be standard sine, triangle, pulse (with pw) and saw up/down.

all the lfo-based fx should be syncable to host, user switchable.
that would be it for the very basics.
xsd121 wrote:3. aside from the above ones, FM, AM are concerned in your posts.
how would you use a FM and AM in the sampler(I really can't figure it out, you won't use a sine wave to modulate the sample wave I'm afraid).
yes, that's exactly what i had in mind: a dedicated sine fm osc to modulate whatever sample, polyphonic. of course, a real fm implementation would be prefered, but i'm afraid it wouldn't be possible due to heavy aliasing, as by nature samples can't be antialiased, exept with a very high interpolation such as sinc, but that would kill the cpu ...
also, don't forget am/rm, i'd implement that as well.
xsd121 wrote:Ok, enough for this post.
Thanks a looooooooooooooooooooooooooot for replying.
We want to understand you better and do what we can.

THX
nono, you don't have to thank me/us. if we want quality instruments, and the dev is open to suggestions, we are quite happy to help, as this is in our own interrest...

in essence:
to have a maize-sampler, where i can design my own sample-based vsti right within this maize-sampler, right within my prefered host, then simply press "save as vsti", that would be a milestone in computerbased music creation.

edit:
what karma and manytone said is very necessary too, of course. i was rather focussing on your questions, but a good sampler starts with a good sampling engine and the usual possibilities they've mentioned already.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

in essence:
to have a maize-sampler, where i can design my own sample-based vsti right within this maize-sampler, right within my prefered host, then simply press "save as vsti", that would be a milestone in computerbased music creation.
:love: :love: :love:
DSP with attitude

By the way, I just added a cheap reverb for beta 2. :D

manytone wrote:
caoxiang wrote:Shaoduo Xie (xsd121) is another maize sampler 2 developer who is going to help you guys with all the synth/fx features. He has some experience with synth and also developed a synth VSTi called ganK. :) Hope we can satisfy your requirements in future updates.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4162.html
That is good news!
Thanks, I look forward to hearing more.
Paul
Me too! :)

brok landers wrote:
1. There should be modulation options and built-in fx both on the editor(the sampler) and the player(the end user uses), so that the sound designer can invent sound with more possiblities as well as the end user can see how the designer performs and understand the patch/preset well.

2. Compared with the 1, only the sound designer (the editor) can have access to modulations and fx but end users can't. The end users can only handle a small amount of basic parameters(overall ADSR, etc...)
on topic: well, kind of a mix of both. what i'm thinking of is, that the sounddesigner is able to assign makro knobs via the modulation matrix, as well as via rightclick on a parameter that he wants the user to be able to control. once he defined these parameters, he should be able to edit the gui to his visions, as far as possible. and, yes, if the sounddesigner wants to provide simply all the controls as he uses them himself, he just specifies that the whole parameter set, just as availlable in the maize sampler, is availlable to the user. the only thing the user then couldn't do is, loading up his own waves/samplerprograms.
1. why you need modulations? If we provide you with free use of LFOs and ENVs and a modulation matrix, what would you do with it?
a lot of users use samplers as flexible synthesizers. the only difference is, that, instead of using traditional waves as osc's, they can use whatever they want as source wave. being able to use multisamples as soundsource simply opens tremendeous flexibility in sound creation, given that the sampler is providing you with a lot of synthesis. this is (at least to a great part) why kontakt is the leader. it provides you with nearly everything you need to use the sampler either way, as a sample only player, as well as a full synthesizer where the only difference is, that i can freely choose my "osc"... the kontakt engine that a sounddesigner can license from native instruments just doesn't allow the user to compile a vst right out of the sampler itself, as well as you always can see that it is the kontakt engine, the gui can't be modified so much that you wouldn't notice. not that this would be important to _me_, but i assime it would for others.
xsd121 wrote:2. what kind of fx do you want(except reverb @_@), like chorus, phaser, flanger, etc..please name it. of course each fx will goes with its internal modulaters(lfo, env..)
01. a monophonic delay (stereo/mono input for the wet section, user-switchable), output always stereo, output panable with a seperate slider.

02. a ping pong delay. the input, which feeds the delay section only should be summed up to mono before it enters the feddback network (no center summ-feedback, so that the taps are altering the side only). output should be always stereo (so that the dry signal is passed through stereo to the dry/wet mixer. left/right tap individually pannable.

03. 46/8 stage phaser. with adjustable center frequency, ammount, lfo speed, lfo stereo phase offset (0-180 degree).

04. through zero-flanger, 0-500ms delay, feedback, lfo stereo phase offset (0-180 degree).

06. chorus/ensemble fx.

10. a brickwall limiter/clipper, to be placed at the very end of the signal chain.

11. an svf multimode filter with lfo, the lfo waves should be standard sine, triangle, pulse (with pw) and saw up/down.

how would you use a FM and AM in the sampler(I really can't figure it out, you won't use a sine wave to modulate the sample wave I'm afraid).
yes, that's exactly what i had in mind: a dedicated sine fm osc to modulate whatever sample, polyphonic. of course, a real fm implementation would be prefered, but i'm afraid it wouldn't be possible due to heavy aliasing, as by nature samples can't be antialiased, exept with a very high interpolation such as sinc, but that would kill the cpu ...

THX
nono, you don't have to thank me/us. if we want quality instruments, and the dev is open to suggestions, we are quite happy to help, as this is in our own interrest...

in essence:

edit:
what karma and manytone said is very necessary too, of course. i was rather focussing on your questions, but a good sampler starts with a good sampling engine and the usual possibilities they've mentioned already.
hey guys, any progress on that philosophy we've been discussing about?
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

brok landers wrote:
brok landers wrote:

06. chorus/ensemble fx.

THX

in essence:

edit:
hey guys, any progress on that philosophy we've been discussing about?

Thanks for checking back. We are still trying to make the current features into a stable status. It's getting close.

great, just let me know, i'll be watching this place...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

just curious - some news on this? :)

indeed...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

brok landers wrote:indeed...
+1
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I'm working on the 2.1 version now. The GUI editor is almost done, the filter is on the way.

Return to “Maizesoft”