Notes beyond end of part

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One assumedly basic question: Why can I edit notes beyond the end of a part? (Those notes will unfortunately not be played.)

Second question: I actually use cymbals (with long sustain) near the end of a part. Those cymbals-sounds (MuSynth, GM-Drumset) are cut at the end of part. This sounds very "artificial". :(
What can I do?

I havn't found an answer to this, neither in this forum nor in the docs. :roll:

Reincke wrote:One assumedly basic question: Why can I edit notes beyond the end of a part? (Those notes will unfortunately not be played.)
Because a part plays a sequence, which may be played by other parts too, which may be longer and thus do play those notes.

Please see this info about unique and shared parts: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/composer.html
Second question: I actually use cymbals (with long sustain) near the end of a part. Those cymbals-sounds (MuSynth, GM-Drumset) are cut at the end of part. This sounds very "artificial". :(
What can I do?
Make the part longer.
And/or increase the release time for that cymbal sound.
Now here it is :)

Reincke wrote:One assumedly basic question: Why can I edit notes beyond the end of a part? (Those notes will unfortunately not be played.)

What can I do?

don't see the problem in point one, it's not uncommon to reuse or temporarily shorten parts, and being able to get to the data doesn't hurt anything. I do think there should be some visual indication though, like colouring the unplayed region of the current part grey.

on point 2, there will be an envelope release parameter for the cymbal samples somewhere in the gm drumkit patch. I'll check when I get home if no-one else has replied to you by then.

mutools wrote:
What can I do?
Make the part longer.
This will lead to overlapping parts, right?
And/or increase the release time for that cymbal sound.
Why? The release time is actually okay.
Now here it is :)
Thank you.

robenestobenz wrote:
What can I do?
don't see the problem in point one, it's not uncommon to reuse or temporarily shorten parts, and being able to get to the data doesn't hurt anything. I do think there should be some visual indication though, like colouring the unplayed region of the current part grey.
I understand. Havn't done this 'til now. Thank you.
robenestobenz wrote:on point 2, there will be an envelope release parameter for the cymbal samples somewhere in the gm drumkit patch. I'll check when I get home if no-one else has replied to you by then.
Similar cymbal notes near the beginning of the part are okay, but at the end of a part "game is over" (insert next coin ;-)).

BTW: It's a great tool. :D

Reincke wrote:Similar cymbal notes near the beginning of the part are okay, but at the end of a part "game is over" (insert next coin ;-)).

BTW: It's a great tool. :D
You could definitely solve it by clicking into the GM kit, clicking ENV under the amplifier section and increasing the release time. As far as I can tell though, this will increase release for all samples, which you might not want -- so overlapping parts may be the best option.

However, if you're mixing down, anything beyond the end of the last part defaults to be cut off -- because the end of the last part is the end of what's mixed down. You have to either put an artificial "last part" after the rest of the composition or remember to manually adjust the render end time. (I like the artificial last part as I'm less likely to forget why that's there!)

pljones wrote:However, if you're mixing down, anything beyond the end of the last part defaults to be cut off -- because the end of the last part is the end of what's mixed down. You have to either put an artificial "last part" after the rest of the composition or remember to manually adjust the render end time. (I like the artificial last part as I'm less likely to forget why that's there!)
I like this last parts too. Overlapping parts will irritate me, but it will be the best solution, I think.

Thank you all for your advice.

Return to “MUTOOLS”