Multiple instances of Eloquence okay?

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I seem to be having a lot of crashing and instability when running multiple instances of Eloquence in Sonar. Anyone else running into this?

It seems that's a problem also in Live. Not a crash but the second instance works only when the Eloquence window is open.

Running 4 instances in Cubase4 without problems, ui open or not (only midi, audio out is disabled).

me too...no probs, 3 instances, pc xp sp2 cubase sl3.

ancient wrote:I seem to be having a lot of crashing and instability when running multiple instances of Eloquence in Sonar. Anyone else running into this?
No, works fine here (Sonar 8 Producer).

firepile wrote: No, works fine here (Sonar 8 Producer).
Hmm. I'm surprised to hear that. Not only am I unable to run two instances of Eloquence without crashing, any combination of Catanya, StepChild, Eloquence and Dualism all cause Sonar to crash. I'm being particularly careful with MIDI routing to make sure I'm not getting MIDI feedback, but I suspect it's feeding back anyway due to Sonar somehow mucking with the data.

Eloquence and Catanya don't appear to have any way of designating the MIDI output channel which would make testing a lot easier.

Anyone else with Sonar having issues with it?

RAPIDBOARD wrote:It seems that's a problem also in Live. Not a crash but the second instance works only when the Eloquence window is open.
Problem confirmed here.
I'm running 4 instances in Live but the 4th starts only if the window is open. This happens regardless of midi or audio output. Obviously a bug.

Regarding the problem in Live that it only works when the GUI is opened.
I think i have found the problem. It's not a bug but a feature in Live :(
It seems that Live deactivates VSTi's if they don't produce any output in a certain amount of time. This optimization is only done when the GUI is not opened.

A simple workaround for the VST version is to draw some CC values, which will prevent Live from turning Eloquence off. So just randomize the cc track and Eloquence should play.

We are in contact with Ableton to find a solution for this.
Robert

Congrats to Robert for finding the reason!

Unfortunately the workaround doesn't help if you want to send specific CC values at particular times only. To keep Eloquence running it seems necessary to generate some event at least every 2 secs.

Just to clarify. Further testing shows the problem is almost definitely with Sonar and not with Eloquence/Thesys.

Sonar seems to corrupt MIDI input when MIDI-enabled VSTi instruments are being used. I can't be certain, but it seems that Sonar is blending MIDI channels between discreet devices and getting into some kind of MIDI feedback situation. Obviously it shouldn't happen and I'm just giving a layman's take on it all.

In general I can get away with running one MIDI-enabled VSTi if I switch it off while recording other MIDI parts. But if I run two MIDI-enabled VSTi's then Sonar crashes.

Working with Cakewalk support to see if they'll acknowledge the problem.

I just wanted to mention that the problem with Live deactivating a plug-in with the window closed can also be avoided by using the hide plug-in command rather than closing it completely. This affects Maschine as well.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I just wanted to mention that the problem with Live deactivating a plug-in with the window closed can also be avoided by using the hide plug-in command rather than closing it completely. This affects Maschine as well.
Thanks for the tip.
Just another workaround.
I really hope it will be FIXED in the next update!

broc wrote: I really hope it will be FIXED in the next update!
I wonder if that's something that a plug-in can even "fix" when it's host behavior?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
broc wrote: I really hope it will be FIXED in the next update!
I wonder if that's something that a plug-in can even "fix" when it's host behavior?
But I think the plug-in could try to hide this behavior from the user.
For example, by generating some dummy event every second.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”