CC to Pitch...doesn't really work right.

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just noticed this (and OHHH MY, is it naughty). When the pitch parameter is controlled via a CC (which is what I'm doing for sequencing within Live using AL), there is no easy way to zero out the pitch wehn starting on a new loop. It's not easy to explain, but basically, there are an even number of steps via MIDI CC, but an odd number of steps between -12 steps and 12 steps. The result is that you can't set the pitch back to 0 via MIDI CC's without some really silly workarounds.

[I'm able to accomplish this by putting AL inside a Macro, and changing the remote control limits of that macro to operate between only 1 and 127....problem here is, though, when transposing down an octave, the loop will slowly drift out of sync, since in actuality, it is only being transposed down 11.some odd steps]

Anyway, thanks for listening. Hows 2.0 coming, anyway? I'm excited. You've got me very intrigued by the idea of OSC implementation. It would be nice to have "One GUI to rule them all", since I've already built a custom GUI for Sooperlooper this way.

I'm slightly baffled by your post. I identified this issue when first creating AL's MIDI implementation, and put in special coding for the pitch parameter so that a CC value of 64 maps exactly to a pitch of 0.0.

I just tested this with AL 1.8.1, sending it CC 18 and 64 does indeed give zero pitch.

v2.0 is coming on well. Lots of new features, and improvements of old features! OSC may not make it in for v2.0, but perhaps shortly thereafter.

lemme test it again....maybe its because I'm wrapping it inside of an Automap wrapper? Oh, that would be a bummer......

nope....I'm still using beta 9, but cc 64 is giving .09 pitch.

Soooo....I think we are talking about two different things. You provided a solution when sending the plugin CC's directly (I am guessing), but I am controlling the parameters through Live's built in mapping. Would it be possible to make it so cc values 0-126 would change pitch, and 127 reset pitch? Or just make the pitch range -12 to 12.09? anything like this would be nice. Its a tricky situation. Obviously I could map controllers directly to the plugin, but that is a problem for me, for a lot of reasons. If OSC becomes a reality, that takes care of my problem easily....I don't know if anyone else but me would even notice this issue.

Indeed, we're talking about different things, exactly as you say.

I can't really change anything now - too many people might be relying on the existing behaviour. I guess I could add an NRPN for pitch which might help you out.

Hold tight for OSC!

Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing. NRPN would be fine, but for now I'm just going to have to nix automation on pitch and do it manually, with a reset via MIDI note.

OSC would (will ?) take care of the issue. Thanks, as usual you rock :)

Return to “Expert Sleepers”