New Feature? Presets....

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I've found that the thing that destroys my performances most frequently is trying to reset AL back to its default settings after I've made changes to things like saturation and pitch LFO, delay times, etc. It would be so great if there were a simple Preset implementation in this plugin, with only 1 factory preset, that being one with all the parameters essentially zeroed so that a simple turn of a dial on my Nocturn would zero out all the craziness I'd invoked on my last loop - pass. I don't think this is too tricky to implement, perhaps I'm wrong about this. Lemme know what you think.

Also, the beta is working fine (regarding the latency comp), but my computer's date has been at July 29th for like, well, 21 days now ;) Hope all is going well with your new adventure, Cheers!

Hi,

I was thinking of putting some presets into the next version, largely as a way of encouraging new users to explore all the sound possibilities, so your post is timely.

But in the meantime, why not just save out a 'defaults' preset from your host app and load that back when you need it? What host are you using, anyway?

cheers,
os.

PS do you know that command-clicking on a knob resets it back to its default value?

I use Live 7, which isn't preset friendly. Loading a new preset can glitch out the audio sometimes, and the only way to change presets within it is by dragging one from the browser; I try not to touch my laptop if possible. I use an FCB1010, a Novations 25SL, and a Nocturn for controlling all my plugs, as well as controlling Live. I've written a patch in Max that works pretty well to give me callbacks from SooperLooper via OSC, as well as the controls in AL that are mapped via Lives onboard MIDI assignments. This lets me keep track of the most important stuff (beats, feedback, input, pitch, etc). It also stores all the values of my MIDI mapped parameters in Live's onboard FX Chains, so that I can have instant recall of these parameters with the press of a single button. I don't ever have the actual plugin GUI open (although that might change if I have time to work with your new scripting material), I try to maximize screen real estate this way (since the GUI I built takes up a very small amount of space occupying a 3/4" strip on the right hand side of my MacBook's screen).

I use the Nocturn (via Automap2) to control the other stuff in AL that is not handled by the FCB1010, but I usually evolve a loop to a certain point and then need to drop it and start over from scratch. This is the part I'm having trouble with (getting back to home base easily). I always begin tracking and realize I've forgot to reset some important parameter somewhere.

Granted, I CAN automate EVERYTHING in the plugin using a dummy clip and fire this off remotely, but that's not a very elegant way to go about it. After working with pluggo a bit, I found that default settings can be brought back easier just by firing off a program change command to set everything back to its inherent default. And of course, it would also be nice to be able to call up a preset and have it immediately take effect, instead of having to tweak everything one at a time.

(again, dummy clips will work for this too, but thats just more automation that Live has to handle, and it slows things down a bit. Not to mention, I try to keep all my automation on 1 channel, and that only gives me 127 controllers to work with....that's not very many when you are working with 3 looping engines, 6 total loops, plus lives built in clips and a couple of percussion tracks...I use close to 40 controllers just working with Live's built in FX Chains)

Anyway, i'm glad we're both thinking about the same thing here (even if not for the same reasons).

The Nocturn is a great controller, one of the things I like about it is that I always have feedback from my FX parameters in 3rd party plugs, AND that there is a dedicated knob there to change presets very easily. But (alas) a lot of my favorite plugins don't have presets built in.

P.s. I didn't know the command click thing, or at least had forgotten about it. Unfortunately, like I stated, I don't usually have the GUI open, so it would do me any good.

Thanks for this wonderful thing you've built :) I love the looks I get when I pull it out of my bag....uhhh, what the heck is that ?!

LOL

Thanks for the thorough reply! I'll get at least a defaults preset in for the next release.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”