Extracting correct .fxp from Constellation .fxb

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am in the process of extracting .fxp from all my synth banks with Wusik VM, and I have found some problems with sf2 based synths I described here (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 51#2844051).

The M42 banks are usually well behaved, and all the extracted .fxp reference the appropriate .sf2 file (I have the factory banks as well as Ambient and Julie). However the Constellation bank is not. Only the first patch references the constellation fonts and all the others reference the default M42 font.

Is it possible to fix the Constellation bank, so that all patches reference the constellation soundfonts when they are extracted either manually or via Wusik VM ? Is there something I can do to fix the bank by myself, or is it something only Tim or Zvon can do ?

Thanks for your help,

Antoine.

antoine.bertier wrote:I am in the process of extracting .fxp from all my synth banks with Wusik VM, and I have found some problems with sf2 based synths I described here (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 51#2844051).

The M42 banks are usually well behaved, and all the extracted .fxp reference the appropriate .sf2 file (I have the factory banks as well as Ambient and Julie). However the Constellation bank is not. Only the first patch references the constellation fonts and all the others reference the default M42 font.

Is it possible to fix the Constellation bank, so that all patches reference the constellation soundfonts when they are extracted either manually or via Wusik VM ? Is there something I can do to fix the bank by myself, or is it something only Tim or Zvon can do ?

Thanks for your help,

Antoine.
I am pretty sure that there is no bank assigned to the constellation sf2. It uses whatever presets you have loaded in m42, SO THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION. Is that right Zvon?

Tim

tconrardy wrote:
antoine.bertier wrote:I am in the process of extracting .fxp from all my synth banks with Wusik VM, and I have found some problems with sf2 based synths I described here (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 51#2844051).

Thanks for your help,

Antoine.
I am pretty sure that there is no bank assigned to the constellation sf2. It uses whatever presets you have loaded in m42, SO THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION. Is that right Zvon?

Tim
Just saw this thread, it's a bit late here so I will verify tomorrow. But I think that Tim is right, the presets use the sf2 already loaded which when using the Constellation bank is the Constellation sf2 as it is loaded by the first patch. For the individual presets, I guess that if you resave them with the correct sf2 loaded after extracting them from the bank. The newly saved versions should reference the Constellation sf2.

I will do some testing tomorrow and get back to you then.

zvon wrote: Just saw this thread, it's a bit late here so I will verify tomorrow. But I think that Tim is right, the presets use the sf2 already loaded which when using the Constellation bank is the Constellation sf2 as it is loaded by the first patch. For the individual presets, I guess that if you resave them with the correct sf2 loaded after extracting them from the bank. The newly saved versions should reference the Constellation sf2.

I will do some testing tomorrow and get back to you then.
I extracted all the patches automatically with Wusik VM, and only the first one referenced the Constellation sf2. So it seems that when you save patches, only the first patch in the bank carries the right sf2 information. All the other patches still reference the default M42 sf2.

The issue is that the whole point is that VM will load directly the right synth from the .fxp, but if the .fxp does not reference the right .sf2 we do not get the expected sound.

This was not the case with the Ambient bank for instance, where all the extracted .fxp reference the Ambient sf2. But then these banks seem to have been created differently, since when I open them in a text editor, there is on readable strings, while if I open Constellation.fxb, I can read a lot of strings, including the names of the .sf2 (which is clearly right only for tthe first patch). :o

I did some testing and after saving all the presets individually directly from the bank, they were not referencing the Constellation sf2 when I loaded them. But I resaved them like I mentionned in my previous post and they now work correctly on my computer. Though for some unknown (to me) reason, they will load the Constellation sf2 only when loaded in the first slot of the bank (meaning as preset number 1).

Email me and I will send you the presets to test them on your setup.

zvon wrote:I did some testing and after saving all the presets individually directly from the bank, they were not referencing the Constellation sf2 when I loaded them. But I resaved them like I mentionned in my previous post and they now work correctly on my computer. Though for some unknown (to me) reason, they will load the Constellation sf2 only when loaded in the first slot of the bank (meaning as preset number 1).

Email me and I will send you the presets to test them on your setup.
I emailed you for the presets.

There seems to be a bug in Synthedit sf2 manager, which make only the first slot able to load sf2 for the whole bank. This has two unfortunate side effects:
1/ when you save an fxp other than the one in the first slot, it does not reference the correct sf2.
2/ if you manage to save an fxp with the correct sf2, if it is loaded in any slot other than 1 the correct sf2 is not loaded.

For point 2, WilliamK made sure that Wusik VM always loads an .fxp in slot 1. So if your .fxp are correct, you can safely browse them with the Wusik VM explorer, and always get the right sf2 loaded (this allows for instance to make a PAD directory with all .fxp pads, and browsing through them with VM will always load the right sf2).

antoine.bertier wrote: I emailed you for the presets.

There seems to be a bug in Synthedit sf2 manager, which make only the first slot able to load sf2 for the whole bank. This has two unfortunate side effects:
1/ when you save an fxp other than the one in the first slot, it does not reference the correct sf2.
2/ if you manage to save an fxp with the correct sf2, if it is loaded in any slot other than 1 the correct sf2 is not loaded.
I sent you the presets. The bug in Synthedit sf2 manager can be useful though. It makes it easy to try the presets of a given bank with another sf2 without having to load it every time. Or use a sf2 that has no bank and is formatted for the M42, like my Horn for M42, with an existing bank. Of course results can sometimes be surprising :hihi:

antoine.bertier wrote: For point 2, WilliamK made sure that Wusik VM always loads an .fxp in slot 1. So if your .fxp are correct, you can safely browse them with the Wusik VM explorer, and always get the right sf2 loaded (this allows for instance to make a PAD directory with all .fxp pads, and browsing through them with VM will always load the right sf2).
I have not tried the Wusik VM yet, hopefully I will find the time to do it soon!

Return to “AlgoMusic”