VAZ mod users :stand and be counted!!:

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

we shoud start a thread where we post our most tricked-out vaz mod creations and pick each others brains, bounce a few files around so we can mod em, post em back, and learn in the process.

http://www.bigwussy.net/mojogigolo%20VAZ%20patches/

- theres a link to some of my old stuff. includes a 400 module (!!) drum machine, where everything is hooked up to one central button, that sets off a bunch of sample and holds, and randomises every parameter of every drum (via 400 modules) Anyone who hasnt seen it, check it out - posted it ages back, and no one said boo... i reckon you can get some decent sounds out of it. Hell, if it was a reaktor module people would be all over it. That concludes me blowing my own horn. Check it out, and feedback or mod it and repost, someone..?
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Holy crap....well i missed that the first time you posted it or i would have said something for sure....that's some skills!

i need to pore over the structure of that and hopefully learn a few new tricks!!

i like your idea altho i'm unsure of how useful my own creations are. I guess i'd just need to give a decent description with them. Most of mine to tend to be fairly simplistic anyway.

I've just uploaded 3.20 beta 2 to the STL support area. I have updated the htmlhelp support library used which I'm hoping will improve the behaviour on Vista if anyone uses that??? It also randomizes the starting state of the QuantRandom module so that i.e. each voice in a polyphonic patch will behave differently.

Martin

MadGav wrote:I've just uploaded 3.20 beta 2 to the STL support area. I have updated the htmlhelp support library used which I'm hoping will improve the behaviour on Vista if anyone uses that??? It also randomizes the starting state of the QuantRandom module so that i.e. each voice in a polyphonic patch will behave differently.

Martin

Thank you for a great update Martin! I really love the new QuantRandom module. I should upload my new patches with it and getting some very musical results.
BTW: I put my wish list under the Feature List folder on the forum. It would be great if you could take a look. Actually: no 1 on the list would be more MIDI IN ports on the standalone so I can use my controller and knob box at the same time.

Thanks for a great product!

Tim

mojogigolo wrote:we shoud start a thread where we post our most tricked-out vaz mod creations and pick each others brains, bounce a few files around so we can mod em, post em back, and learn in the process.

- theres a link to some of my old stuff. includes a 400 module (!!) drum machine, where everything is hooked up to one central button, that sets off a bunch of sample and holds, and randomises every parameter of every drum (via 400 modules) Anyone who hasnt seen it, check it out - posted it ages back, and no one said boo... i reckon you can get some decent sounds out of it. Hell, if it was a reaktor module people would be all over it. That concludes me blowing my own horn. Check it out, and feedback or mod it and repost, someone..?

I am totally imnpressed here..now this is what I call MODULAR! The d00f patch is brilliant! I never knew that Vaz could do drum programing like this.

EDIT: this is the most fun I have had in a while in playing the nice-tone lead 1 patch. I have to commend you in creating HUGE modular patches the way I invisioned Vaz could do! MORE PLEASE!!!

Tim

tconrardy wrote:Actually: no 1 on the list would be more MIDI IN ports on the standalone so I can use my controller and knob box at the same time.
Would merging multiple MIDI Ins be OK? That would require much more limited changes.

Martin

Tim, there's a pretty easy way to workaround that.

Install a loopback driver (I like Maple).

Get Musiclab's Connection Centre (a handy little midi merger utility).

Set up your two MIDI drivers in MLCC to point to the same loopback driver, then set the loopback driver as your MIDI in inside Vaz. Should work perfectly, it does for me using an evolution knob box.

I suppose something built in would be better, since it wouldn't require extra drivers and the like, but it should do you over until then.

MadGav wrote:
tconrardy wrote:Actually: no 1 on the list would be more MIDI IN ports on the standalone so I can use my controller and knob box at the same time.
Would merging multiple MIDI Ins be OK? That would require much more limited changes.

Martin

Hi Martin...yes..that would work fine.
I do have MidiYoke installed..but I am using that for other things( Atari emulator-Steem) so it would be great to have dedicated midi merge on the standalone.

Thanks!

Tim

tconrardy wrote:I do have MidiYoke installed..but I am using that for other things( Atari emulator-Steem)
Since MIDI Yoke has multiple ports and you can route up to 4 inbound ports in MLCC to one (or up to four) outbound ports, just set it up with your main MIDI IN, your knob box, and Steem via MIDI Yoke 1 going into MIDI Yoke 2, then send MIDI Yoke 2 into Vaz.

tconrardy wrote:
mojogigolo wrote:we shoud start a thread where we post our most tricked-out vaz mod creations and pick each others brains, bounce a few files around so we can mod em, post em back, and learn in the process.

I am totally imnpressed here..now this is what I call MODULAR! The d00f patch is brilliant! I never knew that Vaz could do drum programing like this.

EDIT: this is the most fun I have had in a while in playing the nice-tone lead 1 patch. I have to commend you in creating HUGE modular patches the way I invisioned Vaz could do! MORE PLEASE!!!

Tim
Thanks Tim, high praise from a guy who knows his stuff - cheers :D
i got hundreds of em, probably literally, ill post em when i get a moment and drop the address here.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

There's a one little thing that I don't like about VAZ Modular and it's that parameters have quite low resolution (mostly 256 or 128 different values) and are expressed in arbitrary units, instead of Hz for filter cutoff, ms for envelope times, etc. For example, I'd like to put noise through filter with high resonance and set filter frequency, for example, exactly to 261.6 Hz (which is frequency of 1-st octave C note) and modulate it with CV Note so that filter frequency will double each octave, to be able to hear correct notes when I play them on keyboard (this will make a nice whistle sound). I've done such thing many times on simple non-modular VA synths, and still can't find a way to do it on VAZ with all its power.
Also it would be cool to have some basic math functions modules, mainly to be able to tweak modulation curves (e.g. turn linear modulation into exponential, etc).

For filter tracking: set the filter cutoff on 130. Modulate a modulation slot with the "CV1 high-low note" and put it on 95.

However it did cost me quite some time to find out about the right settings. :)I'll probably never forget those two numbers anymore.

vstliefhebber wrote:For filter tracking: set the filter cutoff on 130. Modulate a modulation slot with the "CV1 high-low note" and put it on 95.
Thanks for the numbers! :)
Though it still would be much easier if parameter units were real.

vstliefhebber wrote:For filter tracking: set the filter cutoff on 130. Modulate a modulation slot with the "CV1 high-low note" and put it on 95.

However it did cost me quite some time to find out about the right settings. :)I'll probably never forget those two numbers anymore.
I don't totally agree with the numbers 130 and 95.
If you hold two keys one oct appart with only the filter playing the beating between the notes stops at the modulation number 92 telling me they are in tune.
And the filter cutoff then has to be at 131 to be in tune with the oscillator.
These numbers i get on both Vaz 2010 and Vaz Mod for the best tuning.

The filter does still not track perfectly on the whole note range, but that's just like a real analog synth so i think that's ok, and maybe one of the resons why the Vaz synths sounds so real.

So i don't forget the numbers 131 and 92 :)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Just found this on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDxpPZKSak

a very cool VazModular demo

Tim

Return to “Modular Synthesis”