suround panner for many tracks

Official support for: acousmodules.free.fr
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello:

There is an old idea I have in my mind.

Is it possible to have only one surround panner where to route some audio tracks to place them in the surround field?

I mean SONAR and CUBASE or any audio sequencer is capable to open only different surround panners, one for each track. But maybe could be fine to see all the tracks in the same panner. Maybe till 8 tracks for instance.

Carlos Schorr
Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz on Intel DP965lt, 2 giga RAM, SATA drives, MOTU 2408 MK3 x 3,
UAD1 x 2, MOTU MIDI USB 5x5
Soundkraft Spirit Studio 24x8x2
Behringer DDX3216
Cubase4,SONAR8,WaveLab6,
Drumagog,EZdrummer,BFD2,B4II,GPO,Kompakt

Hi Carlos,

The real problem is not to mix together several tracks, but to have access to a specific input of a plugin from several tracks.

Perhaps that Cubase 4 allows to send the ouput of a track to the input you want in a multichannel group track ?
Reaper, Podium or Tracktion can do it.

In this case you can use the SpatMixer.

Jean-Marc:

Yes, Cubase can send tracks to a bus with surround configuration, so it is possible (I do it) to place such tracks in the surround field. But what I would like to have is an only one surround panner, to send some tracks (8 or 16 etc) to it, and then be able to see each of them to move each one where you want in the field. You know what I mean?

The following step would be to route for example a group of instruments (strings or drums or brass) to it own surround group, and then this group send to a general surround group where I can use the feature explained above, so the many groups can be placed in its own place.

Hope you know what I mean, and hope this can be possible now or some day.

Best regards,

Carlos Schorr
Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz on Intel DP965lt, 2 giga RAM, SATA drives, MOTU 2408 MK3 x 3,
Behringer DDX3216
Cubase4,SONAR8,WaveLab6,

Yes, Cubase can send tracks to a bus with surround configuration, so it is possible (I do it) to place such tracks in the surround field. But what I would like to have is an only one surround panner, to send some tracks (8 or 16 etc) to it, and then be able to see each of them to move each one where you want in the field. You know what I mean?
Hmmm, I'm not sure that we understand each other. My english is limited and sometimes explainations are difficult...

What I mean is that you need a host that can send the content of a mono / stereo track to any multichannel track inputs you want.
Since Cubase can only have 6 channels busses, that means that you can send the content of a maximum of six mono tracks / three stereo tracks to a SpatMixer to spatialize them together.
In Cubase 3, you will need the standard surround panner of Cubase or a special plugin the to send the track contents to the inputs 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 of the group track.
Perhaps that in Cubase 4 you can route directly the input channels to a specific bus send output channel ?

In Reaper, Tracktion, Podium or EnergyXT, you can send send for example 16 stereo tracks to a single "group" track where you can have a 32 ins / 6 outs plugin to make your surround mix.

Yes, now I understand.

In fact, I think this is the issue has no solution in my idea, and I did not know it.
Yes, it is necessary the group to be able to "re route" such inputs to the desired output into this plugins.

I will look around the software you mention to be able to understand what are the required stage for this.

Any way, what do you think about my dreamed idea? Would you like to have an only one panner into a group, where you can "see" and place all the tracks you routed to this group? Wouldn't it be great?

Carlos
Behringer DDX3216
Cubase4,SONAR8,WaveLab6,

Would you like to have an only one panner into a group, where you can "see" and place all the tracks you routed to this group? Wouldn't it be great?
Of course... and the SpatMixer 167 that can be used as 8 x 2 inputs to 5 or 7 outputs is made for this.

There is two main advantages : it is easier to visualize how each sound is placed among the others, and also it uses a lot of less space on the screen !

But there can be also a big drawback with automations, according how you work : the automation tracks cannot be linked to the audio tracks because they are relative to the group track where the plugin is inserted.
It is perhaps not a problem if you don't make spatial movements or if you don't cut, split, copy and move audio events.

You mean Spat Mixer167 is able to receive 8 inputs coming from different tracks, and then place them into the panner?

If yes, can you tell me how should I setup a group to send these tracks to the Spat Mixer167, and then be able to move them into the panner?

Carlos
Behringer DDX3216
Cubase4,SONAR8,WaveLab6,

Hi, Jean-Marc !
Hi, Carlos !

I have a similar dream...
I'm looking for a way/module which would work like this:

The input would be a 5.1 bus - the output would be a 5.1 bus as well.
The module would move the listener within the sound field by changing the relative levels or loudness of the 5 channels.
The listener should have the impression of being moved nearer, for example, to the front right speaker, then to the left rear corner...

The module would have a X-Y cursor (ideally controllable by joystick etc.), the movements would be saved to midi.

Maybe something like this exists already (overseen in the acousmodule collection ?)

Thanks for any hint where to find
or help how to do

Hello Carlocat:

Nice to hear from you: great another people is wondering something like this.

Exactly what I want is:

A plugins to be inserted in a group, able to catch any audio track sent to this group, and be able to show in only one interface each of these tracks, each with its own little name to recognize.

Let's suppose I have strings with 6 tracks. These tracks should be sent to a group called "strings", and this group be sent to the group where this dreamed plugins is inserted.

As well, suppose you have 6 brasses in your arrangement, so you send these tracks to a second group called "brasses", and this is sent to the same group with the plugins. By this way, a lot of groups or any track will be sent to the group with the plugin.

Now, you can see those "instruments" into the same interface, each with its own name, so you can pan each in the surround field as you want.

Hope you know what I mean.

Regards,

Carlos
Behringer DDX3216
Cubase4,SONAR8,WaveLab6,

Return to “AcousModules”