CM Tutorial For SE

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, im a bit late, but i just got this months CM (issue 59-May) and it has a Synth Edit tutorial.

Now, im no tech geek psycho synth builder by any stretch of the imagination, but i was thinking about giving it a go.....

..and then i thought...has it all been done? theres a 1000 of them out and about, what is there left to do that hasnt been done? Has SE peaked? Has it done all it can do, or can the user drag out more from this app?

any thoughts?

I think it hasn't peaked. At least as long as there are people still willing to code new modules for users. That will keep it alive for some time, I reckon (seems like there's been a couple this week?).

The only thing I wonder is if the idea of making a VSTi has obscured SE's rather useful abilities as a standalone. You can VSTs in it as modules, and it is quite capable...plus, you are not stuck with the CPU overhead of the host sequencer.
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Kriminal wrote:..and then i thought...has it all been done? theres a 1000 of them out and about, what is there left to do that hasnt been done? Has SE peaked? Has it done all it can do, or can the user drag out more from this app?
You make a fair point there Krim, the same could be said of hard coded synths though. It's not so much about SE itself, but the individual using it - how far can you stretch your imagination? There are new modules coming out for SE all the time now, thanks to Jeff releasing the Module SDK - so nobody can really point at SE's limitations anymore for a lack of originality in the synths/effects produced.

Hi Andy! Long time no write! (I'll fix that, I promise...)

Scot Solida wrote:Hi Andy! Long time no write! (I'll fix that, I promise...)
Hey Scot, good to see you on here again - I just figured you'd been busy! 8) Oddly, one reason I've been a bit out of the loop here is I've been brushing up on my C++ - got a bunch of SE modules on the way. :wink:

Sorry for the OT, folks! :oops:

Whoo hoo! Collusion modules! This is why SynthEdit won't stagnate, I think.

(yes, Andy, busy writing a designing! Ahem. Writing things like, er, um...SynthEdit tutorials for CM! :oops: )

Krim, Even if no-one else needs your VSTi, SE gives you the capacity to make an instrument that suitsyou perfectly. Just pick all the features you want and leave out the rest of the krap that other developers put in. That's been my motivation with EGO/FEAR/GODkILLER and it has paid off handsomely for me in terms of getting things done and being able to dial up the right sound very quickly. So for me it has been well worth the time and effort involved.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My favorite SE Synth has got to be Peach. I love it!

..and then i thought...has it all been done? theres a 1000 of them out and about, what is there left to do that hasnt been done? Has SE peaked? Has it done all it can do, or can the user drag out more from this app?
Noooohhh.. SE will never die! :wink:

It's the same as saying ... "when will people stop making music? Isn't every idea done jet?"

well.. look at the pitch shifter.. could have been done in se months ago, but only just happened, allowing a stab at several other new processes, ie. the formant shifting.

i'm telling you.. right now i'm gathering the formant data... pain in the ass.. but soon there will be a se vsti that makes anythnig speak/sing.. very basic architecture..

so, no, it's not all done.. show me a c++ vsti that speaks.. could be done, but not worth it to the big cos because it wouldn't sound sharp enough i guess.

like emagic.. "we're a professional company making professional products.. " translate: we just wouldn't know what to do with an idea like that..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

KRIMINAL wrote: ..and then i thought...has it all been done? theres a 1000 of them out and about, what is there left to do that hasnt been done? Has SE peaked? Has it done all it can do, or can the user drag out more from this app?

any thoughts?
I was listening to Kenneth Copeland yesterday, and he mentioned that in 1899 the head of the US Patent Office asked that Congress close the office down, as all the worthwhile inventions had been created by that time.

That guy was wrong (-: and I think you'll find that between new modules coming and the ability to customize what you make to match your needs (don't like the envelopes on the left ? change it! don't like the GUI ? change the colors! etc)... that there's still a lot of opportunities.

After all, how many two oscillator, two lfo, two envelope type hardware synths are out there, yet they're all different-sounding... a Nord doesn't sound much like a Virus (to me)...

Doug

SE peaked? Has it done all it can do, or can the user drag out more from this app?
Phys. Mod. just started to surface, who knows how far can we go...
:?:
Phys. Mod. instruments won't come by a 10/day rate, but slowly one by one...
ik.

well that all depends on whether kriminal gives it a go or not.

like bones said, we all have a unique perspective.. only too many people don't use it and let others take the place of their own.

i've been interested in speech synthesis for years.. i certainly don't have a doctorate, but like many others, i've made something unique. lance's familiarity with the nord modular, ikaldor's interest in modeling.. when they came together.... this is the spark. i understand kriminal has been developing aggressive sounds for a number of years? maybe he doesn't have the knowledge of proco's engineer, but only kriminal knows what he likes..

it's a free (well even i sent jeff the dollar he didn't require) intense concentration of interactive knowledge. tap into it, and, well it may not blossom instantly, perhaps in years to come

so what's it going to be? cut your way into the/-your- future, or hang around with same-old
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”