Problems with SynthEdit soundfont players

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct forum for this, but since this does deal with SynthEdit VSTis, I figured I should start asking here...

Currently, I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 and running my VSTis through Directixer 2.2. I've tried numerous SE-based VSTis that play soundfonts, but for some reason, none of them play my soundfonts properly. Every one of the VSTis gives each sound a specific piano-like envelope and refuses to let me change it, no matter how many knobs I turn. As a result, my string and organ soundfonts turn into steel drums and marimbas.

Not that this isn't interesting, mind you, but it's not really what I want, and I'd like to find out if it's something on my end or something in the SE engine itself. Any suggestions?

-David, who would like to try Fontaminator, but just can't get it to work.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

this must be a cakewalk or directixer issue -

while there ARE known limitations to the synthedit .sf2 player it does not [or at least has not for me in various hosts] exhibit the odd envelope behaviour you describe

can anyone else out there using homestudio and/or directixer have a little time to check this out please ???

much appreciated

slainte :? rob

I played a bit with twinsef earlier. Turns out the envelope problem related only to that particular soundfont -- it was picking up the percussion, but not the organ itself. I tried a few other soundfonts, and the envelope problems were gone. My bad...

It seems I can only play three notes at a time, though, and even then things got a bit wonky, especially in any soundfont with reverb in it. The verb was HUGE in the sound and uneditable.

For basic piano and strings and such, I think I'll stick with LiveSynth Pro, but I'll keep exploring this for now. You never know when a glitch ends up sounding pretty cool. 8)

-David, off to download Fontaminator again...
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

Return to “Modular Synthesis”