Vocal Hz range?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone have a general idea of an eq for vocals? eg-what frequencies to cut/boost for a radio friendly sound. As it stands, with compression and all, our singers voice seems too stand-outish and not blended with everything else. I know vox kind of fit into a mid range but I want to get this right so...any takers? :D

Anything that sounds good to begin with is "radio friendly". But never mind picking on words...

Maybe in this case just begin with setting the overall level of the vocal track back, to allow it to blend in. Did you put some reverb on it? Experiment with that...

In case you're still wondering where the straight answer is, it's impossible to say in general what frequency you have to raise or lower. Depends on the voice, the mic, the room, the song, the other tracks, and everything else you did with it. But you may try what happens if you dip a bit between 1000 - 5000 Hz ;-)

i would say cut between 200 and 500 on your vocals... it would clean up your track and get rid of the mud. :band2:

The clearness of speach should be around 4000-4500 Hz (but carefully very feedback senstive). Also the 2000 - 2500 Hz sound pretty in my ears. Sometimes I combine them. Cut Hz whereever you have rival instruments (eg guitars mostly 300-1800).
------------------------
TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Shakespeare)
DOO BE DOO BE DOO (Sinatra)

EQing vocals depends on your singers voice, your microphone, recording situtaion and genre.

Base frequencies of the male voice are around 180Hz, the female voice 220Hz. This area does much for the proximity or distance of the sound. With pop music you usually cut this region a bit. Aditionally you might want to use a steep low-cut around 75Hz-100Hz.

Most of the time I end up cutting some dB around 450Hz ("mud") and 2kHz ("sharpness"). Sometimes a little boost between 5-8kHz for brilliance can be good, but in general it's better to cut than to boost.

Return to “Production Techniques”